Raleigh Rampar Sweet Build

GoldenMotor.com

seanf49

Jun 12, 2010
Boston
Hi all, new guy here.

Just want to show you the bike I'll be building up soon, Tell me what you guys think.

I've ordered the "Black Flying Horse" from bikeberry, mainly because of their 6 month manufacturer defects warranty, it seems like that was the most important thing to pay attention to with buying the kits. I didn't want to buy a bad kit on ebay and get shafted, figured I'd pay the extra $50 for that security.

Now a couple questions, feel free to answer as many or as few, or none, that you want to:

1.Instead of having a regular bicycle drive train, I am using a Front (non cog hub) on my rear triangle. No pedal start, I think I will just run start, moving just fast enough to turn the engine. The wheel fits, is snug although the dropouts look a little bent inwards. What are your opinions on this?

2. 24x1 3/8in wheel in the front. Pedals do not hit the ground, not that I can use them for much of anything anyway. The front brake rubbers hit the tires when braking. I've heard this wears down the tires on the edges quickly, not too worried as I have a spare. I know rubber on rubber makes for quick stopping in all weather, but should I rethink this because of the power behind the bike?

3. Banana seat. How bad a$$ is that? A little bit, or a lot?

4. I'm thinking of making a PVC gas tank and pop it in right under the seat. CPVC? What kind of "cement" should I use? I've read many threads on this, but cannot divulge a definite answer.

Thanks everyone!

seanf49

Jun 12, 2010
Boston
So to show my ride is legal, I've made a sticker to slap onto the side of my engine, just in case I get stopped by johnny law.

Anyone is free to use this sticker for non-commercial applications, like putting it on your own bike engine. No printing and selling, and bike berry cannot use this sticker with their "Black Flying Horse" Engine unless I am notified, I agree and am given credit. Just covering my behind.

I've changed out the seat, and was able to build a laid back seat, as well as making both wheels 26in and decided to put the pedal assisted back system into this bike. Thought it might put too much stress on the engine, plus I can ride home if, knock on wood, the motor ever dies on me.

My kit is out for delivery today, hopefully I'll get photos and action shots on later today!

Sean

seanf49

Jun 12, 2010
Boston
hey no problem I'm not that big of an intellectual hog,

I would rather it be used by people to stay out of trouble, so long as they are gentlemanly or ladylike on the road!

seanf49

Jun 12, 2010
Boston
So I got my engine kit last night and I'm in the process of installing it to the frame, so far so good. I'm taking a long time to install because I usually get very frustrated with putting things together, so I'd rather not rush and break it. Plus I have a busy weekend and wouldn't have much time to ride it. Right now, all I have left to do is drill the hole for the throttle/kill switch, secure the throttle/kill switch, put in the CDI and triple check that my wiring is correct, break the chain down to the right size( which has given me a lot of trouble. Now I had a chainbreaker for regular bikes, but seeing as this chain is huge, I had to "modify" my chainbreaker with the help of some files. Manual files. In order to keep myself sane, I have left the rest of this task for another day). I need to get my dual pull brake lever in the mail, hook that up, and get a helmet...... to ebay I go!

Well I'll be done on Sunday hopefully, and take it easy as the manual tells me to.

Hopefully if i can get some good use out of this cheap oriental engine, and enjoy the hobby, I'll invest in a better engine, but it is much too early to think about that now.

I'll have pictures up when it's on the road, guaranteed.

dance1

seanf49

Jun 12, 2010
Boston
Just got home and in the mail was my dual pull brake lever, and my foot pegs. I'll get these on in the morning, drill the throttle hole, and get this beast on the road!
xct2

seanf49

Jun 12, 2010
Boston
So it's up and running! I'll tell you it's very hard not to push that throttle above 15mph, but so far so good. Here's the photos as well:

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
nice looking bike! i am getting the same kit in a while and was wondering did it come with every thing it said it would? would you recomend the kit to any one? where did you get that black seat, looks nice!

seanf49

Jun 12, 2010
Boston
Hey dash, Yeah the kit came with everything it said it would, but even if it didn't, bikeberry has a 6 month warranty, so if you do get a lemon you can always return it. So far I recommend it.

The black saddle makes the bike, I love it. It came off another '70s bike boom era Raleigh. Check your second hand stores, that's where I bought the bike I took it from.

Good luck with your purchase!
.wee.

seanf49

Jun 12, 2010
Boston
hi drez,

It runs well, i'm still on my first gallon though so it should run even better once the fuel is leaned out. I recommend this kit if you're low on cash, which I am. Thinking of getting a nice Italian engine once this one dies.

As for the praise/complaints, everyone at my work loves it. I work in bank/office and all the old women want to know how it works and how I put it together and other specifications. No complaints, I ride with traffic, using hand signals, braking with the stop signs etc. Even while riding around in boston, I've been past several traffic cops, police detail, and the district station with no helmet on, no plates, and i've not gotten pulled over/yelled at........yet.

good luck with your purchase and riding experience!
dance1