help me, im in over my head.......almost

GoldenMotor.com

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
ok. here goes

im relatively new to motorized bikes, but definitely not new to bikes. this being said, i need help with motors. specifically what engine to use, where to get it, what can i expect to modify, etc.

i had the idea to mount an engine on a bike for many years, but it was not until i built my last bike that it really took off in my mind.

guru's! i need your advice!

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
All depends on how much you want to spend. If it's as little as possible, go with any of the site sponsors and go with a 2-stroke. If you want to be able to use the gears that came with the bike, you can get the jackshaft kit from sickbikeparts that bolts to the engine. I myself just had a Honda 4-stroke delivered that comes with a rear mount wheel "scrubber" set-up. For me it was the oil, the noise and my pant legs always being dirty that made me go to 4-stroke.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Basically go to any of the links on the side bars and you will find a good engine, I personally like the 80 cc ones for 119 bucks at bikebery.com. I've bought 2 of them and have been happy with both kits .

if your bike frame is 1 1/12 tubing it will be alot easier for your first build, bigger tubes require some adjustments for the motor mounts, and oh yea watch a few of the video tutorials posted here in the forums, they will make life alot easier when you get your kits

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
well toytime, i really dont want to spend an insane amount of money on this, but i do want to go 4 stroke. i hate mixing oil and gas, and i run the risk of ruining an engine if i dont get it right.

the guine pi---i mean donor bike is al old "mailbu hopper" cruiser that i picked up today. 26 inch. should be good victi- i mean um......specimen for this. :)

can anyone provide me with a direct link to a 4stroke engine? the sites i have gone to are ....a little fishy to me. i have heard horror stories about fake sites

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
I bought the 4 stroke kit from Bicycle Engines, Motorized Bicycles, Bicycle Motors, Motored Bikes: 2-Stroke & 4-Stroke Kits!. It is the Huesheng 50cc engine with a Grubee gearbox. I haven't put it on a bike yet since I bought a 2 stroke at the same time and just got it finished up this past weekend with DAN. I've had the 4 stroke kit out of the box and it looks really good. They also have better directions for installation than any of the 2 strokers that I've seen.

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
looks good, but i think for the moment, to get myself rolling, i will get a 2 stroke, and then install a 4 stroke later. im thinking of a honda or something.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
hahaha Bikeguy, thats how i feel about the oil mixture also, I just take the jug of oil and pour it in and guesstimate the ratio. You cant hurt a 2 cycle with too much oil so alittle more is better than a little less. Only bad thing with too much oil is more smoke out the exhaust.