Living With Lipos--Safely!

GoldenMotor.com

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
Okay...Here we go:

Just to show you guys how good I am at following directions: I ordered a bag of Anderson power poles that will take 75 amps.
I looked at both volt meters and opted for the waterproof volt meter, as it looked like the range would be effective for my application.

I also have ordered (in my shopping cart now) a bag of four (maybe it was five) pair of XT90's from HK...

To make things simple, I'd like to order a set of chargers (or one, depending on either of your suggestions) from HK on the same
order as the connectors. And, it would be REALLY nice if it could be wall plug in to house current.

If that does not make sense, I can go the 12v power source way...But, I won't be in the field charging my batteries from my car
battery, if that's the reason for the power source(s).

So, what charger to buy?

I want to go with the CA3. But, I'd like to have something to upgrade when it's all working and working well. I suspect that a CA3
and maybe that sweet throttle set up will be on the list.

So, to finish off this level of the hardware buys, I guess that the charger(s) the end of the road.

Well, I have to find the bike, of course. And find a deserving tall guy that would like that Schwinn Sierra. Free to a Forum Person (FP)
who wants to pick it up, also of course. Pay it forward deal. Oh, yeah. Then find a way to get those big black squares of SLA's to the bear.

Okay. After all this, and looking at the KISS factor (you might recognize that as "Keep It Simple, Stupid", for my desire to push fewer
buttons and turn fewer knobs), what charger SHOULD I get with this rig?

I follow directions.

Attachments

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
Also, Lung, thanks for the pic of the six-pin connector. I have not yet been able to find mapping or any other info
(like shunt ohm value) for the controller.

Later, when the CA3 is a reality, it may just be time to get a compatible controller. But not right now. For right now,
I'll try for more research on the controller I have. I'll make a fireproof box, and set aside a spot for charging outside.
And, I'll find a bike while I wait for Forum and you and CB2's charger suggestions on the charger.

How cool is this? Maybe more for me than for other readers. But, everybody gets to see this one come together.

I think I'll post more on the build as it comes along....

Attachments

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Magwa,

I just started looking for a similar control as yours and this one looks to be 45amps.
75amps was based on my understanding that each fet was good for 5 amps.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...hless-motor-controller/313864_515432504.html#!

The extra plugs can be eBrake, PAS(pedalectric), programing...

You only need the Andersons if you cut the XT90 connectors off, one or the other not both.
I cut the XT90's off.
That's just 12awg wire on the Multistar.

You have more charger options with DC than AC.
This is the least expensive AC charger on HK. Its over seas. Not local warehouse.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...en_Smart_Battery_Charger_10A_6S_US_Plug_.html

east coast
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77310

Just make sure it will put out at least 10amp/125w.
Don't get a 5amp charger.

I charge/store the battery in that fiberglass bag in the picture, (under the battery).
Good for 1000 degrees for five minutes.
Was itchy so I sprayed it with rubber spray seal.
Charging on the range top, its all tile.

You can modify PC computer power supplies for power too.

DON'T poke a hole in the battery.
Don't use any thing sharp around the battery.
Protect it from drops if your bike hits the ground.
Check out LiPo fires on Utube.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I favor these type connectors as it cuts down on the wire clutter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AMASS-X...tor-Adapter-/251535612828?hash=item3a90b0db9c However some battery mounting configurations may benefit from the wired versions length.
I went ahead and bit the bullet and modified my controllers for the XT connectors since it eliminates the need to modify the battery. I have many batteries for many combinations and future batteries will be Plug n play. Also it eliminates Senior moment reversed polarity.

My older Dynam chargers are DC/AC units its nice to have both capabilities.
I charged my packs at the R/C club using a 12ah SLA. It would charge for several weekend sessions. I wasn't charging mega packs then 5ah max. I liked the fact that the charging wasn't under my cars hood like many of the flyers. A lipo fire there have could have required a call to the local FD.

Great links LC! Always enjoy being enlightened by your internet hunting.

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
dance1

I just spent the mortgage money.

Through the direction and help from a bunch of you folks, no need to mention names...But anyone who chimed in to help,
I have some globe-trotting deliveriy systems going on. Who knows when any of it will get to Casa de Magwa here in dusty
California.

But, here's the thanks to all.

Two of each:
Big Daddy Batteries
Chargers
Cell Logs

One:
540W power supply with two ports
Volt meter (not shown)

A hand full of:
Connectors
(Some not shown)

Next stop: Getting Silverbear's batteries to him
Next stop after that: Find a tree with money growing on it
Third stop: Find a bike
Fourth stop: Charging bags and safe charging station
Fifteenth stop: Go for a ride

Attachments

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Magwa
That looks like it should work fine.
Good luck, ask anything you don't get.
We will try to straighten you out.

You will be running this thread next year.

After I charge up the batteries I like to let them sit for 10-15 min.
Less voltage difference between packs if they rest.

Make sure they are the same voltage when you series them.
If they are different voltage they try to balance themselves, sometimes faster than the 12awg is rated for. Which is a bad thing.

You can most likely charge a 5-6amps no problem.
Edit-whoops looks like you need at least 125w charger to get 5a output on a 25v(6cell).
V x A = W

That 540w PS stinks at first but it go's away.
It is loud, turbine sound, I point a 6" desk fan and it stays cool. Under about 75 degrees ambient temperature the fan wont kick in.

Last edited:

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
Edited:
That looks like it should work fine.

After I charge up the batteries I like to let them sit for 10-15 min.
Less voltage difference between packs if they rest.

Make sure they are the same voltage when you series them.

You can most likely charge a 5-6amps no problem.

(Re:power Supply).... point a 6" desk fan and it stays cool. Under about 75 degrees ambient temperature the fan wont kick in.

Got it.
Every drop.

Thanks.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Good luck with your electric bike! The waterproof volt meter is a good idea. I had one like I linked on a bike I used to have and it( the display) quit working right after getting rained on a few times so I unhooked it. I didn't really need it, just bought it because I thought it was neat. Have you got a bike in mind yet?

Last edited:

magwa

Jul 14, 2015
Coarsegold, CA
Good luck with your electric bike!
Thanks. I'm still playing with the bike platform. Now, with this set up, I can deal a little
more easily with the space/design issue.

The SLA's seemed to want to make everything a tank. Of course, there's no real problem
with that if you're building a trike like s-bear is. Or, if you're not built like me to start with.

Although I'm an outdoors kind of guy, I don't see myself riding in the dirt enough to go
Mountain bike. We'll see how this one comes out.

Not to steal the safety thread in any way, but I have to say that I'm happy with the gasbike
I "finished" a month ago or so. I'm gonna keep her. And, I bet I'm keeping the new build as well.

Bet your "a-double-s" I'm keeping the *core* of the electric bike build. And all the goodies that
go with the battery stuff.

I'm pumped. And, I'm really happy with my new knowledge...and looking forward to increasing
it in the future. I owe this thread and the contributors in a big way.

Here's a shot of the gasbike in mid-build:

Attachments

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Magwa start a build thread and let us know how it all works out.
If you have any bike questions it wont get lost in this LiPo thread.

/cheers

dnut

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Uh oh.
You guys are forcing me to relearn something about chargers.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1253796

Take the pack voltage, multiply the charge rate you want (amps output), equals the wattage of the charger you need.

So for a 25v (6cell) battery at 5amp you would need at least 125w charger.
25v x 5a = 125w

And...
25v(6cell) x 3.2a = 80w
16.8v(4cell) x 4.7a=80w

That 80w charger will still work just take longer.
Sorry Magwa, another knee jerk? I am removing that link to that 80w charger.

You started this fiasco you know...:)
Maybe we will all learn something.

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
I was thinking it was all about the amps, however as your target voltage increases you need more watt output to achieve the same amperage charge rate.

A 50w charger at a 25v load will only be able to give 3.2v output, increasing your charging time.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Yeah you would need two of them to charge two packs. hook the both up to something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-5A-1...id=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=371117456686 or, this one comes with an AC cord so you don't need a power supply. From what I can tell this seems to be the bare minimum to get started. Lots of options for upgrading later. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...C_Compact_LiPO_NiMh_50W_Charger_US_Plug_.html only 18.85 not bad
That PS 180w and up. that seems inexpensive.

That pocket charger would work but it is 50w and has no screen to actually be able to see the cell level voltage, cant discharge or store.

Last edited: