serious question

GoldenMotor.com

scythyn

Mar 31, 2013
dartmouth
A friend of mine actually cracked a piece of his engine case. He didn't wait for me with the puller tool to remove his clutch wheel and cracked part of the case where the clutch cover goes on. I told him he couldn't drive til he fixed it. What's a good approach? He still has the piece that broke off.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Depends on what exactly is broken. Can you provide us with a photo? Some areas, if broken, you can work around. Some will require a new case.

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Looks like its just cosmetic damage. You can still bolt the cover on and it'll be fine.

I've drilled holes in the covers for cooling and for easy access to the flower nut on a bunch of bikes and it doesn't matter. I mean, you can run the bike without the cover if you want.

It's a dry clutch, so there's nothing that will leak out of that hole, so unless you ride thru 3 foot deep puddles or let the bike sit out in the rain, it'll be fine.

It'll probably be louder, tho. Them clutches make a rattle that sounds awful.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I concur. That isn't a structural area. If you're concerned with dirt and dust getting in you can cover the hole with tape.

I know that someone is going to suggest JB Weld and in this caes it would probably work just fine if you have the piece that broke out. Just 'glue' it back in and you'll be good to go.

Tom