Will carb work tilted a little sideways?

GoldenMotor.com

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Well I have most of it ready. Chains are on,clutch lever and cable working, rear mounts are on and tightened up. Muffler is on, carb will now fit with a very slight tilt. Peddled bike with clutch in, you definitely feel like you are moving multiple chains, jackshaft and frozen grease. I don't know how in the world you can start this now, jackshaft sure puts a load on peddle starting.This kit came with newr style lever, I like older style self locking clutch lever and not sure how I will have both electric and gas throttles on handlebars. Left side has brake,clutch and gear changer grip.
Question about JB weld. If I go the way Norman did- Do you pack it in the motor mount area and let it dry and leave it as is OR do you let it dry and then tighten up nut a little after dry keeping in mind JB will crack from over tightening?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
To do the Jb weld trick skim the area that you do not want the epoxy stuck to with grease or a good wax. Then lay the bike on it's side loosen the bolts a little then build a dam with masking tape mix up the Jb and push it into the area you want filled once all of the epoxy is in there and when it starts to set wet you finger and smooth it out or wait and sand it when set or a combination of both to get it to look smooth. After its set tighten up the bolts and your good to go. You can paint it or leave it alone its up to you.
industrial engines and compressors are grouted with epoxy to bed the engine and compressor to a concrete mount this is doing the same thing and it should not crack but there is no guarantee.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Thanks Norman. I was going to weld it up until I went to plug the welder in to find that it has a funny plug on it. I bought it for this build and it's 120 volts but one of the prongs is sideways.
This build has been driving me nuts, if you knew how many times I had to re and re the jackshaft and chains and stuff you would understand. I think I'm getting too old for this because I seem to be getting to the point where I put a part down and can't find it or I pick up a part and things drop and do the "I'm going to bounce and hide under the bench trick".
All I have left now is the front mount and a gas tank. I took it out with the electric and I was so happy because I thought I'd have the jackshaft turning but nothing moves but the electric stuff.
There are a few issues, like chains running within a 1/4 inch of the motor because of the angles. I'm not sure if the pics show this. The battery box will be trimmed so that it can go 4 inches lower and the seat can go lower. The motor sits to the left a touch but the muffler is so close to the bikes frame and it really is only off by less than a 1/4 inch. I hope the jackshaft is OK with that.
All in all, I'm very happy with this "thing" and hope to ride it soon!
I've also

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my carb is slightly tilted,runs fine,and i drilled and cut my frame to make it fit and i would do it again,its a steel frame and is holding up pretty good.

update: i have a new bike, a schwinn delmar cruiser and no drill or cutting on this one.

Last edited:

dczharley

May 24, 2009
Dodge City, Ks
If anyone knows where I can buy a pre-made 90 degree bend intake, or if anyone could make one and ship it I can pay through paypal or money order. Thanks!

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
If anyone knows where I can buy a pre-made 90 degree bend intake, or if anyone could make one and ship it I can pay through paypal or money order. Thanks!
Cut the intake pipe and reconnect it at 90° with hose and hose clamps. I do it all the time with small engines and have never had a problem.

Earthman

Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I put my motor kit on a 24” frame so things are tight. I had to install the carb twisted a few degrees from vertical so the cable would clear the top bar of the frame (see photo). It works fine. Give it a try.

Attachments

Last edited:

blackbetty91

Apr 14, 2011
toronto
I dunno if you solved this problem yet but, i had the same problem with my bike (not the electic bike thing) but that my frame was in the way of having the carb upright. i cant move it forward or it goes higher etc. first see if you can shave tond or remove the spacer on the engine linked to the seat post then see if you can shave down the engine mount on the engine should give some extra space. i ended up fitting mine on my 17" frame mountain/urban frame. my friends **** when they saw.