Wasted Super Rat Jug & Piston

GoldenMotor.com

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Okay guys, I need help. I've had this Super Rat on my bike for 3 years now & I've had to deal with a ton of breakdowns, problems & issues, most of which I have dealt with myself with the help of forum members who have posted similar problems/solutions here. But my Rat is a slightly different breed, with its 1peice magneto, 203 bearings(no problems to report there), longer stroke crank(40mm vs 38), and wider intake bolt spacing.

Recently my piston seized after a 20 mile ride. I managed to work it free & get it to move again after yanking the head, but now there is melted aluminum on the cylinder bore. Jug doesn't want to let go of the gasket, acts like its welded on, so right now I can't say if the metal is from the piston, but I bet it's trashed as well. Spraying WD40 in the cylinder & turning the motor over by hand shows bubbles at the cylinder 'scar' from crankcase compression, so I know my ring seal is no good. Time for new parts. 3 years & 3,000+ miles is more than I expected from this little disposable motor, so I'm not complaining there. A month ago I got a fresh bottom end from BGF to fix a lower rod knock, so I don't want or need a complete motor.

So now I'm looking for a new jug & piston. I know it calls for a Type A piston, I've found numerous vendors that sell them, that's not my problem. Grubee's EPA certification for the Rat (& the sister SuperHawk) is expired, so they aren't shipping any new engines or parts stateside now, and I can't find any Rat jugs anywhere. I could use a PK80 jug, they are cross compatable according to Fred of CR Machine, except for the intake, of which I would have to change.

Does anyone here know where I can find a new Rat jug? Or would you recommend I get the PK80 jug & a matching intake manifold? If you know or find one, I ask you to please post a link & part number if possible. The GT5A also uses the same jug, if that helps.

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Thanks Desert Rat, I must have missed that one. I ordered it this morning, I hope it gets here in time for me to put it together for the Thunder Beach Motorcycle Rally starting next weekend. It is a bi-annual event (spring & autumn) here in Panama City Beach, Florida that draws tens of thousands of bikers to our seaside tourist town. Most of the bikers truly dig my Schwinn Outlaw, snapping cell phone pics of it, asking questions, even offering to buy me drinks. Most of them welcome me as one of their own and commend me for creating a piston bike worthy of a real biker. It's a cool feeling!

It sure would be nice if other motorbicyclists would attend & ride, the year before last I only saw just one other piston bike cruising in traffic, but I was unable to catch him or talk. Last year I didn't see anyone. :(

Most of y'all can relate to this one.
checkout.jpg

This is what my bike looked like in 2011 when it was still based on a Schwinn frame. (Cops gave me grief over it not having tags, hence the name Schwinn Outlaw)
rsz_schwinn_outlaw_at_thunder_beach.jpg

Except for the stock exhaust, this is what it looks like today on a Skyhawk frame. (Florida wouldn't register it on a Schwinn, "Once a bicycle, always a bicycle". Having a frame made for motorizing got me tags & hassle free freedom from 'The Man'.)
rsz_skyhawk_gt2_17.jpg