What Whizzer (Taiwan) engine do I have?

GoldenMotor.com

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I bought a grab bag of Whizzer parts last week off ebay. Included was this engine; the description said the seller got it at an estate auction and they only thing they knew about it is that the bottom end is used and the top end is new.

Is there a database of serial numbers I can use to figure out what kind of engine this is (WC-1 or NE5 or other)?

Any experts here can chime in with their opinions. It seems to be pretty well built from the outside. Note the two hose barbs; one tapped into the compression release plate and the other tapped into the engine case.

I know that head is not well liked due to thermal issues. Can I just replace it with an NE5 or WC-1 head? i.e. is the bolt pattern the same between the two?

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
WC-1 heads don't fix the NE cyinlers,nothing wrong with the head in the pic.
Motor is bits and pieces, but still has the big flywheel, does it have 6 magnets or 8?
Whizzer USA has the#

Ray

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
WC-1 heads don't fix the NE cyinlers,nothing wrong with the head in the pic.
Motor is bits and pieces, but still has the big flywheel, does it have 6 magnets or 8?
Whizzer USA has the#

Ray
Thanks for the info, Ray. For some reason I thought that head was like the one used on the new Ambassador (spark plug in the middle) and that it was lacking cooling fins?

Anyway, I *think* this engine has the 8 pole stator, but I haven't torn into it yet.

I did see a pic of a 2002 Sportsman or Pacemaker and the engine had those two bosses on the engine case and the compression release plate (like shown above on my engine). So maybe this engine is early 2000s vintage?

Last edited:

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
This head would be better if the plug was slanted, still has one of the best combustion chamber.
You mention thermal, yes a heat coating in the cc would drop the tempatuer,adding it to the piston too would also be good.
Make sure the stator matches the flywheel with magnets 6n6 or 8n8.
Motor looks like it could be NE,early.

Good to see your interest, and welcome.

Ray

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
This head would be better if the plug was slanted, still has one of the best combustion chamber.
You mention thermal, yes a heat coating in the cc would drop the tempatuer,adding it to the piston too would also be good.
Make sure the stator matches the flywheel with magnets 6n6 or 8n8.
Motor looks like it could be NE,early.

Good to see your interest, and welcome.

Ray
Thanks, Ray. This thermal coating you speak of; is it like Jet Hot or similar? In other words, a ceramic coating? Is this a DIY thing or something to send out?

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Thanks, Ray. This thermal coating you speak of; is it like Jet Hot or similar? In other words, a ceramic coating? Is this a DIY thing or something to send out?
Thermal Barrier coat,Dry Film lubricant.
Coat the top of the piston (thermal) insulates the piston against damaging heat trasfer,by retaining minimal heat on the suface of the piston.

Dry Film lubricant, coating the skirt of the piston helps to reduce friction,galling and wear is reduced.
Not sure about the DIY.look for a shop near you.some who do powder coating may do this as well.
Motor temps went from 500+ to about 275 degrees.

Ray

Last edited: