converting a hard core biker

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
while out riding my motorized bicycle I passed this guy coming up one of the many mountains on the island. he said that is bs and a few other things as I passed so I got to the top of the hill and waited for him. I asked him so you do not like motorized bicycles? he said no they defeat the purpose of a bicycle and are cheating. (he had an expensive carbon racing bike) I said what this does is make it so you can pedal or have a little help when needed. give it a ride down the street and tell me what you think. he said he want nothing to do with it. I said humor me. how can you say you hate them if you never tried one. so he reluctantly decided to give it a try. he went up the road turned around and had a smile from ear to ear. he said you win this thing is awesome. I told him I like to ride a bike as much as possible, before the motor to ride to work was impossible because I would be soaking wet with sweat by the time I got thier. he said ya that's why I don't take mine to work., I told him I can pedal all the way home and jump in shower after work and get my exercise, (whos kidding who this fat boy always uses the motor lol) anyway made a friend and I am sure he is going to be talking to all his friends about motorized bicycles. for those of you that think I was crazy letting him ride my bike his was a trek that was worth way more then mine and I new he wouldn't leave it. I know a lot of you do not like the spandex crowd however they have the love of bicycles just like we do. talk to them and they really are bunch a bunch of good people, yes their is some idiots but their is also some idiots that ride motorized bicycles also
dnut

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A very generous and diplomatic move on your part, Paul. Maybe you've made a convert out of him.

I've only had one real negative encounter with a roadie (spandexer), an older fella who at first seemed intrigued and asked if my bike was a Whizzer. I explained that it was a Nirve Switchblade that I had motorized. He had several questions, the most common; how fast, how much did it cost, do I build them for people, then he started in about the illegalities of riding it on "his" bike trails. He said it was too fast, smelly and was against the law wherever I rode it. I tried to explain that I always obeyed the trail speed limits, shut off the engine and pedaled whenever I came up on pedal bikers or walkers and generally tried to be courteous. He reinterated that my bike was "illegal".

I didn't reply but just pedaled away, started the engine and rode off leaving him standing there making a call (presumably to the police) on his cell phone. Some folks are hard to figure, but at least I tried.

I'm glad you had a positive experience. Good PR for the hobby.

Tom

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I always see them when my bike's going through development issues and I'm pushing it home, and they pedal like they're being chased by wolves to make a point, lol! Nice diplomacy Paul!

I've had a "talk" with a mountain bike racer when I had my electric dirtbike up on the trails, back when it was only about 1500W and barely of out of its own way. I was stopped and checking out something on it, and he expressed that I don't mess up "his" trails, based on outward impressions, not knowing that I was a lot slower than any downhiller on the trails due to its weight and it's kinder to the trails due to the big knobbies and lack of power at that time. all you can do is try to be friendly and try not to sour their attitudes against these type of things before finding out what they're really about, eventually a motorized bicycle of some sort will be in every other garage if they get good PR.