44 tooth vs 36 tooth

GoldenMotor.com

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hey every one, which of the two sprockets mentioned would be better for doing a wheelie or a rolling burn out? i know more torque with a bigger sprocket but also would it accelerate quicker with a 44 tooth?
thanks

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
44 would be quicker with a slower top end speed. As you increase the sprocket size you increase the gear ratio. High gear ratio is good for off the line and hill climbing, low gear ratio, closer to 1:1 you get the more top end speed you get.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
if you want to do wheelies and climb 45deg angle hills... install a 56 tooth YOU WILL DO WHEELIES LOL but do not expect to go faster than 20-25mph

if you want to go 40mph install a 36t ... but dont expect to do a burn out and you will have to pedal to help it up big hills and get off the line , unless you have good a heavily moded motor.

the 44 is a great choise for stock if its faster you want go to a 40.

every tooth you loose from a 44 you gian 1 mile per hour, but loose a lil torque.
every tooth you add to a 44 will losse 1 mph but gain you net torque

i have a heavily moddded high comp hevily ported motor and i can go around 35 with the stock 44 and still do wheelies in the right circumstances like rpm range and speed are correct it will weelie

but with a stock motor you are not going to wheelie with a 44 and forget about the 36... you might want to try a 48 then 52 then 56 and see from there witch one give you the power you want and still offers a reasonable top speed.

Last edited:

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
thanks for the input, but my bike has a 36 tooth and it can take off from a dead stop with very low rpms and it climbs 50 degree off road bumpy hills very well with the clutch pulled half way in, but on road i don't have to have the clutch half in, it climb any hill very well. my bike doesnt have any mods,besides two small holes in the baffle cap. it can keep up with cars on a main road and overtake them aswell.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
thanks for the input, but my bike has a 36 tooth and it can take off from a dead stop with very low rpms and it climbs 50 degree off road bumpy hills very well with the clutch pulled half way in, but on road i don't have to have the clutch half in, it climb any hill very well. my bike doesnt have any mods,besides two small holes in the baffle cap. it can keep up with cars on a main road and overtake them aswell.
your getting low rpms with the 36 because your straining the motor !!! the bike is trying to get up to speed to be in the range of the gear ... driving around like that is like driving around slow in high gear on a motorcycle !!! yup you will get low rpms and low power ! it pulls hills with the clutch half in because your slipping your clutch and reving it higher to compensate !!! say good night sweet prince to your clutch pads !!!!!!!!!!!

if you want to pull hills its best to be in your target rpms for the right gear for the hill you wish to pull and have your clutch locked so it will not slip !!! and wear to pieces !!!!

again a 44 tooth will take off way faster than a 36 with a lot more power that is just science fact the 36 will out run it for speed though when the bike with the 44 reaches it max rpm you will reach yours at a higher speed

the point is you need to choose a gear that allows you to drive a your chosen speed at your engines rpm power band. you then need to adjust that to compensate for any hills in your aria... you should not ever runn the bike up hill with the clutch half in !!!! that means your bike motor does not have enough torque to spin the sprocket up the hill unless you rob the clutch of its already short lifespan !!!! with a 44t rear i can pull any hill ANY HILL in new england at any speed i choose with no bogging and never having to ruin my clutch !

imagine your on a motorcycle and you cant make it up a hill cause your rear sprocket is too small .... so what do you do? pull the clutch half in rev the heck out of it and smoke your clutch pulling the hill with the wrong sproket ? lol no wrong answer ! you swap out sprockets to a larger one and give it a test run if, garenty you with a larger rear you will pull the hill clutch out ! of course you loose a lil speed in order to gain that torque but that is simple mechanics, stop abusing your clutch ! lol

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
for instance i have a high comp heavily moded motor, but i am running a 44t rear !
even a bone stock bike with a 36 will reach a higher top speed (eventualy lol) than my bike can go

but as for take off power and hill climb abillity .... forget about it !!! a 11:1 comp heavily ported piston ramped port mached large carb expantion chamber bike with a larger sprocket ....well ... i can do wheelies by twisting the throttle when i am in my power band with out touching the clutch ! my bike does burn outs on gravel roads when i am in my power band and whack the throttle ! i pull any hill with out even the slightest bogging issue ! but my top speed with that gear is only 30....35 max down hill.

if i wee to swap to a 36 ..... i would loose all that wonderfull torque but heck i could reach speeds of 40mph pluss.... and i would never ruin my clutch trying to compensate for too small a gear trying to make the bike do something its NOT GEARED FOR !!!!

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
I'm also going to question your 50 degree hill climb. A 50 degree slope would be black diamond ski slope pitch. Which if you had the torque to navigate with a 36 tooth sprocket would be able to burn the tires off the bike on a flat or do rolling wheelies at will and you definitely wouldn't be asking for more torque. Even if you weigh 100 lbs soaking wet I would say a 30 degree slope would be tough on a stock China girl.