Chain upgrade and proper chain tools that can be purchased locally

GoldenMotor.com

Motorhead44

Oct 10, 2013
S.C.
Hello everyone I have been reading these forums for a couple of months now, And i finally got the bug and have sitting in my living room a motorized bicycle "Project," I'm having some difficulty with this build, I discovered it's not as easy as it looks for 1 and 2..Does anybody know where a replacement chain and link removal tool can be bought locally, I mistakenly removed too many links from the chain...And now the "Project" is sitting still..... So after leaving it alone for a few hrs to avoid a stroke from how angry i was when i discovered my mistake. I decided to cool off and start asking some questions from some of you seasoned vets here This bike is a walmart Black 29'' onex bicycle with coaster brake.

:-||

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I use a pin punch and a hammer to break chains. No special tools required and EVERY link becomes a masterlink!
With a little practice, it's easy peasy. I use a block with a hole in it to support the chain while driving out the pin.
I also grind the peened end off to make it easier to break, but this is not something everyone can do since I have to spot tack the pins when re-assembling.
You can do it without grinding.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't own a chain tool (breaker) and I don't grind. I use a punch small enough to pass through the chain side plates and a small socket. Lay the chain on the socket with the pin centered in the socket and drive the pin out with a hammer.

I've never had a problem with master links although some seem to think they are the wink link in a chain. You'll want to adjust your chain length/tension so you end up with 1/2" to 3/4" of slack, no more, no less.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I do it pretty much the way Tom does it, but have a board with a hole in it so the chain lays flat. Also have found a good sized hammer helps. Not a sledge or any thing but little bit of heft helps a lot.

I have a couple of chain breakers around and like em but is almost as easy to just pound out the pin with out having the expense.

But many ways to do just about any thing and that is just the way I do em.

You are so right MotorHead, to let it sit when ya get frustrated. Best thing to do when it stops being fun. Supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable. Really is bit of a high when she lights off for the first time.

Dunno if you have done the rag joint yet but one trick is when getting the back plates to seat, use a small flat screw driver to get em to seat. (the rag joint seems to get folks really frustrated, so thought I'd mention it)

Motorhead44

Oct 10, 2013
S.C.
Thanks guys! What i forgot to mention was that i already used a grinder/punch to remove the links.. Unfortunately,I removed 3 links too many... Should i just start over with another chain? Or would it be safe to add one of the links i took off? I'm gonna get after it again in the morning and head to the hardware store..I should probably buy a better punch or chain link removal tool lol.. for future builds...This is my very first build,I bought the engine kit on e-bay and the bike i picked up at walmart..The bicycle has the large top tube and down tube,@ the least i should have picked a better bike lol..The aluminum onex 29'' bike has larger tubes than a standard frame..so i had to fabricate gas tank brackets and there was some swearing involved lol..The motor fit perfectly though..It came with the larger brackets thankfully.'ll keep you guys posted as the project continues.

:-||

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you have access to a welder or a muffler shop mig, you can simply re-assemble the link and stick a tiny tack over the pins to hold the sideplate.