dax lower transfer ports vs LEB PK-80 lower tranfer ports big difference

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
looking at an engine I had in box today that I had ordered a couple years agao from LEB on ebay, its the one that has the drilled crankshaft just like the lowers dax has been advertising as being balanced and trued.

the transfer port cut outs in the case of the LEB engine are pretty darn nice and very closely match the jug and base gasket, this cant be said at all for the cut outs on the dax lower, looks like I'll need to tare this dax lower down and do some work to get things matched up if it ever gonna be a screamer like I'm hoping to build out of it.
pics below show what I have spoke about here.

Dax lower case in pic above.

LEB case lower in pic above.

side by side comparison above, LEB case on left and dax case on right, big difference, may just pull crank and bearings out of Dax lower and install them in the LEB case and save myself a bunch of port work.... not sure yet.

just thought someone might find this interesting and also wanted to show that truely these engines aren't all the same, and I believe these little things are why some of them perform so much better than others right out of the box, by the way LEB called this engine the X80 and it has the longer curved clutch lever and the case was painted gray instead of being raw Aluminum like most of them are.

map
reddd

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I've Ben telling people about the x80 for a while. The head also has a proper squish band .
It's a 40mph. beast with just a tuned pipe.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've Ben telling people about the x80 for a while. The head also has a proper squish band .
It's a 40mph. beast with just a tuned pipe.
yep its got at least three features I haven't seen on the other engines I've seen inside, transfer ports in the cylinder are larger to match the larger ones in the case, it came with the one piece crank that has the holes drilled through it to give it better balance just like the crank thats in the Dax 'balanced" lower, just got that Dax engine put together today, used the better jug off the LEB engine, if the engine really is balanced good, in the future I may yank the crank out of that case and put it in the case with the better tranfers or just pull it apart and enlarger the ones in it, I did quite a bit of port work on the jug and a little work on the piston that will get things flowing better.

I really like the X80 and may be ordering another one soon.

Map
reddd