What to put it in?

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I commissioned the build of a Whizer engine by one of the well known Whizzer people. It is a roller crank, cammed, ported, head worked over. It is a combo of 300 and 700 parts. Builder says it'll go close to 60mph.
Right now I have an H engine in a 49 Panther, and another Panther with 49cc Honda. In the garage is a Felt frame with fuel tank, and motor mounts for the Honda. Yesterday I bought Dyno Cruiser. I also have a GT LTS1 mtn bike.

I could take the Honda out of the Panther and move it to the Felt and use the Panther frame. Vintage to vintage, but I'd have two look alikes.
http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57444&d=1362974818

I could maybe put it in the felt frame. Made in USA to made in USA.

Put it in the Dyno Frame with an in frame fuel tank. Again, made in USA.
Too many choices?

Find a cantilever frame so I don't have two Panther/Whizzers. All vintage

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Now that's the kind of dilemma I'd like to have, Lucky you!!
Some good choices there. you can also think of a vintage whizzer frame as well, Ambassador, Pacemaker, Sportsman, WZ, whizzer specials, Deluxe, or Standards.
Some have 24" wheels, some with 26", still lots of choices.

Ray

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Putting it in the Panther frame "may be" problematic. If you look at the link in my first post, you'll see that sucker is tight in there. The head is nearly touching the bar. The motor I'm getting I believe will have a head with taller fins.
I've found a Black Phantom frame, but it comes with nothing else, and the owner is a tad proud of it.
I've got some things to finish before I do the build. I wish I could do the graphic things I see done all over so I could get that Felt off my mind, and start the hunt for a Phantom or similar vintage cantilever frame.
I've just got this little guy perched on my shoulder that thinks it'd look great in that Felt. He's led me astray many a time in my 70 years.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Greybeard,
Just wanted to say that your Panther is a beauty... a very clean build with great lines. I like the vintage to vintage myself. The Phantom would make a great companion to your Panther, of the same family but not twins. The cantilever frame should give you the room you need for the taller fins. With the right paint and decals can't you turn any 50's cantilever Schwinn into a Phantom look alike? We should all have such tough decisions to make!
SB

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Thanks Ray for keeping me looking at/for vintage stuff.
SB thanks for the nice words on the Panther. A Phantom lookalike would be a fitting companion for the Panther, and is very high on the list.
DR. If I had a new Whizzer engine built, I would have had that bike or SportcarPats Sportman frame, as well as the Felt frame I have now to consider. I like the long wheelbase bikes best as I'm 6'3"/210. I've considered the Felt because its a great looking bike, and I've never seen a Whizzer engine in one.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I commissioned the build of a Whizer engine by one of the well known Whizzer people. It is a roller crank, cammed, ported, head worked over. It is a combo of 300 and 700 parts. Builder says it'll go close to 60mph.

In the garage is a Felt frame with fuel tank, and motor mounts for the Honda.

I could maybe put it in the felt frame. Made in USA to made in USA.
I would really love to see the Whizzer motor mocked up in the Felt frame.

would that be possible?
I can't quite picture it but it sounds enticing. :) Certainly would be unique.

I am pretty sure that the Felt cruiser frames are made in Taiwan. :(

PS: Who is building your Whizzer motor?

Last edited:

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
That frame is really nothing to do with Blowbyyou as he was a drop shipper
for the maker Phoenix Bike works or that crazy guy Richard Nelson Helmut who we all know and love. :D

You really should talk to Richard though as his frame would be a really nice
home for your Whizzer.
http://www.phoenixbikeworksinc.com/Phoenix_Bikeworks_Home_Page.html
That was the only site I ever saw the phoenix on thanks for the link
they are even in my home town and I had no idea WOW thanks again

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Ray,
You really made an impression on the little guy. Haven't heard a word out of him since looking at the pics. Many, many thanks btw. I/we haven't had much Whizzer exposure as I live in the xtreme NW corner of the country.
I don't know how you figured I like green, but omg that sucker is just beautiful.

I'm 6'3" by 210. Can an adult ride it? The biggest question is, how often do they come up for sale, and do barnfind/fixers ever hit the market.

Again, many thanks.

Mike

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I might just mock up the Felt to get some pics.
The gentleman building the engine used to post here regularly until some over zealous mod chased him away accusing him of promoting an engine kit he developed, nearly everytime he posted in the 4stroke forum. He told me last year he was going to do 1 max built vintage engine this year so I made a deal.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Howzit chain? I've still got a box here with a couple wheels and a crankset that came with the Panther. One of these days I get it down to UPS. If you move, let me know.

Mike

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Everything is good here, stuck with my current build the heat is making it tough to work on with the kids wanting to be outside doing summer stuff. I'm still in the same spot. Glad to see you are feeling better, keep it up!

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Ray,
You really made an impression on the little guy. Haven't heard a word out of him since looking at the pics. Many, many thanks btw. I/we haven't had much Whizzer exposure as I live in the xtreme NW corner of the country.
I don't know how you figured I like green, but omg that sucker is just beautiful.

I'm 6'3" by 210. Can an adult ride it? The biggest question is, how often do they come up for sale, and do barnfind/fixers ever hit the market.

Again, many thanks.

Mike
Hi Mike,my apologies, it's taken me of time to answer back here.
It's a whizzer ambassador, 24" wheels, kick start 300s motor, creme da la creme! they do come up, but not often. most of us older guys prefer the 24" wheels, easier to get on and off with bad hips and all.

I know the where abouts of a few rollers. not the ambassador,sorry.
and thank you sir.

Ray

Attachments

Last edited:

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Thanks Ray,
Am hunting for vintage frame, or bike to use. The straight bar Panther I have the Honda/ezm on I bought as just a frame.
What's the one next to the wall with the pin striping?

Thanks again for getting me on track. However, I'm going to try to put a set of mounts on the Felt bike just to see what it looks like.