99cc Predator questions, carb, cooling, exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
I am in the middle of my Felt/99cc project and have a few questions hopefully someone can help me out with.

-- I have 3/4" conduit for my exhaust. I read somewhere that 7/8 ID was best for power (which is close to what 3/4 conduit is). My exhaust is currently 52" long, I will add a muffler of some sort later on when I have the bike drivable again so I can get a better feel for power.

1. Does this sound like a good size for the exhaust?
2. Whats a good muffler that will keep the engine quiet but not kill power? I know a lot of people run the "hotdog" style muffler sold at most lawn mower shops (thats the one I am considering).

-- I have the tins off my engine (black tin covering the flywheel) and not only does it look better but it makes it much narrower. I prefer the look of this setup but I know it will compromise the cooling. This bike/engine combo will be used for daily commuting to and from school roughly 12 miles each way on highway access roads (not on highway) and neighborhoods. I live in north Texas temps range from 95*-105* during the summer months.

1. Will the engine overheat quickly?
2. How long will I be able to idle?
3. Basicly I 'm wondering how dumb it is to ride around with the tins off and if I will overheat the engine.

-- I would like to do some upgrades to the engine such as the exhaust (already done) a larger carb, camshaft from AGK, etc. I'm thinking of just using this GX390 carb I have laying around but not sure if its too big. I've read some people go for 22mm carbs so this one should work.

1. What is a good size carb?
2. I have a honda carb I believe is from a GX390 the bore is 19.5mm, is that a good size? This thing looks huge compared to the stock carb but I heard they are very restrictive.

Thanks for the help.