Pedal starting the HF 99cc Predator

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Car crafter, how have you done with your clutch, I am also on the hunt for a one way bearing clutch. I tried calling max torque yesterday with no answer. There was some info on here with a mod. That was operated by levers like a compression release to allow pedal starting of a max torque clutch can't find it now.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
There is a clutch in the works it should be available in a few weeks. It is a lever or operated clutch which should help a lot of us out.

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
Who is making it? Is it a real couple of weeks or is it the standard manufacturer couple weeks (IE: 6 months - never gonna happen cause it was placed on a shelf and forgotten)?

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Cool, looks like they are shooting for the $100 - $125 price range. Not too much more than a good centrifugal clutch, and if it really helps with acceleration as much as they say, it sounds like a good deal for use with 79/99cc HF motor.

They are starting with the 3/4" shaft version, though, so you would need a shim to work with the 5/8" shaft on the smaller Preddys...

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
I'm kinda likeing the max torque clutch so far. Thanks to the pz22 carb the predator fires with a quick and easy pull first time every time.

I originally wanted pedal start because of cool factor and didnt like how the predator had to sometimes be cranked 3-5 times and always with the choke (due to the EPA carb). I think I'll keep it this way after all.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
once the EPA gets involved, everything is sacrificed for emissions. i had an idea for a belt drive cvt that is manually operated instead being controlled by rpm. it would use a regular drive pulley and a constant tension driven pulley. the constant tension pulley uses a spring to pull two halves of the v pulley together, so when you tighten the belt it moves the belt closer to the center and lowers the mechanical advantage (think going into a higher gear). this would allow for pedal starting

Last edited: