Oil Catch Can

GoldenMotor.com

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
For those who are looking to run custom carbs or air filters on your four strokes, you may not know what to do with the breather hose that comes out of your motor and was plumbed into your air box. While you could drill a hole in your air filter and run it into there, that is not what I do.

I made a oil catch can for my motor, and all it is is a small container. I used a Jagermeister shorty bottle, and you drill two holes in the cap. One larger hole for the breather hose to plumb into, and a smaller hole to act as a vent hole.

How does a catch can work?

A catch can works by taking the extra gases and oil mist that get blown out of your breather, and condensing the oil mist in a container, then allowing the extra gases to escape out of the breather hole. There are actually two ways to run a catch can. The way I did mine is I vented it to the atmosphere. The second way is to run a second line from the cap of the catch can and run that into your intake some where. This is how you see catch cans set up on cars most of the time. The vacuum from the intake helps pull the extra gases from your crank case, while the catch can filters out the oil mist.

Why run a catch can?

Running a catch can removes the oil mist that your motor would other wise be ingesting. Ingesting oil mist can lead to excess carbon build up. It can also lead to knocking and pinging in a turbo motor or high compression motor, but that's not a problem with the HS and Preddy motors that most of us use.

While it is your choice how you run your breather, i thought i would show you guys a second option you may or may not have known about.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
every vehicle ive owned except for my current olds achieva has had an catch can on it. but for any four stroke thats going to see a track, a catch can should be mandatory. only reason my olds doesnt have a can on her is shes an old grandpa car with a knocking rattling 3.1 in it that will never see the track.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I have a few ?'s about the catch can...Position does it need to be higher than lets say the carburetor for example?Do you need a return hose?Can you vent it with a little breather filter on the top?
Right now mine goes into the side of the velocity stack from the block. So can I hook the return from the catch can back to the velocity stack and if I do do I vent it on the top with the lil breather filter?

Ok more than a few ?'s...lol

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
the catch can eliminates the connection to the carb area the hose goes from the block to the can/bottle and the bottle has a small hole in the top of it next to the hose that vents out the pressure and i think it being lower than the place it comes out of the engine helps so any oil/water runs down into the catch

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
My catch can is on the front of the frame and lower than the valve cover where the hole is. It's kinda hard to see the hose since its black but its there. On the top of the can there's a clear hose with a filter at the end and the filter is just beneath the steerer tube.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i saw some plans a while back,it helps keep motor oil cleaner too,it involved a little coarse steel wool to filter the oil out of the vapour,and utilized the vacum back to the engine

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I run the vent open and do not push anything back into the motor. The can catches any excess oil that I may have added due the angle of the motor. Another factor is the pressure that builds up when spinning 8000rpm. One of my engines is vented at the valve cover and the case.

Attachments