pirate cycles adapter

GoldenMotor.com

fernortner

Oct 17, 2012
Boise Idaho
measured the hub with my new harbor freight calipers
and it's 1.007, so I'll order the fwl adapter. Now, my question:
on a medium frame mountain bike, 26 inch wheels, weighing 260 lbs myself,
I had a 44 tooth rag joint. top speed of 25 is all I want. Faster on a bike with
no disc brake is too fast imo.

This being said, I'm big and the bike is begging for mercy at 24 mph wot
as is. tooth count recommendations? I first thought 40 tooth for a couple more
mph for 20ish speeds at 3/4 throttle. Would a 36 tooth cause strain on the tiny engine at speeds under 10 mph? I tend to cruise at 15 or so mostly. How much torque do I need to move my girth without winding the poor thing to death at 20+?

Thanks.
usflg

BikeBerryKelci

Oct 25, 2012
brea
measured the hub with my new harbor freight calipers
and it's 1.007, so I'll order the fwl adapter. Now, my question:
on a medium frame mountain bike, 26 inch wheels, weighing 260 lbs myself,
I had a 44 tooth rag joint. top speed of 25 is all I want. Faster on a bike with
no disc brake is too fast imo.

This being said, I'm big and the bike is begging for mercy at 24 mph wot
as is. tooth count recommendations? I first thought 40 tooth for a couple more
mph for 20ish speeds at 3/4 throttle. Would a 36 tooth cause strain on the tiny engine at speeds under 10 mph? I tend to cruise at 15 or so mostly. How much torque do I need to move my girth without winding the poor thing to death at 20+?

Thanks.
usflg

I would honestly recommend trying the 48tooth or the 50tooth sprockets for more bottom end torque. This especially since you aren't to concerned about getting top speed on it. Hope this helps!.trlrl.

fernortner

Oct 17, 2012
Boise Idaho
will a 48 tooth on a 26 inch wheel w a 260 lb rider, stock engine but for the sbp pipe, still reach 20 mph without going flat out wot?

the extra squirt from stoplights and hillclimbing would be nice but I still hope to hold onto 20 mph or damn close on flat roads.

thanks for the input.

BikeBerryKelci

Oct 25, 2012
brea
If you go w/ a 36th sprocket your going to have to peddle way to fast, quickly to even get the bike going... pretty much way to much strain on your engine. I wouldn't recommend going lower then a 44th sprocket. I can't say exactly would speed you would reach w/ a 48th sprocket but it will be a lot easier for your engine to work with your weight. .trlrl.

fernortner

Oct 17, 2012
Boise Idaho
If you go w/ a 36th sprocket your going to have to peddle way to fast, quickly to even get the bike going... pretty much way to much strain on your engine. I wouldn't recommend going lower then a 44th sprocket. I can't say exactly would speed you would reach w/ a 48th sprocket but it will be a lot easier for your engine to work with your weight. .trlrl.
I'm getting the picture now. I was working on my bike a lot when I first got the kit but I never did try it up a steep hill with the 44 t ragjoint it came with. It pulls well on a flat, but uphill I hear stock engines bog down fast. I'll go with a 48 and figure on buying different sprockets as my weight comes down (long talk with doctor last month.)
.flg.

BikeBerryKelci

Oct 25, 2012
brea
Well I'm glad I could help make it a little bit easier for you!!! And good luck with the weight loss!!! Getting healthy is always intimidating at first buts it really is worth it!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm getting the picture now. I was working on my bike a lot when I first got the kit but I never did try it up a steep hill with the 44 t ragjoint it came with. It pulls well on a flat, but uphill I hear stock engines bog down fast. I'll go with a 48 and figure on buying different sprockets as my weight comes down (long talk with doctor last month.)
.flg.
I've tried 40 and 36 tooth. It's had to decide which is better. For you I think 40 would be good. You'll be able to cruise an easy 26 mph, with a 30ish top speed.

It you have to deal with steep hills better stay with 44, but top speed is limited to about 25. If you go 48 it will be a real stump puller, but top speed will only be around 22.

I weigh 225. I'm not fat, just too short.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
Also consider a smaller pedal crank sprocket. That will make the bike wasier to get moving, as well as increase braking torque with the coaster brake. I would recommend the 40 tooth like others.

fernortner

Oct 17, 2012
Boise Idaho
pirate cycles fwl adapter & sprocket showed up today. Too busy making up a new bugout bag to put them on tonight but will upon rising from bed on sunday. very excited. more goodies on the way but this is the big one right now. I'll be sticking with the 44t I ordered until I can drop about 40 lbs. off my gut. :)

thanks for the input all of you. I will head toward a 40 and maybe a 36 when I lighten my working load enough to make it work, i.e. me being lighter AND stronger for pedal assist. Right now, I am a 41 yr old 260 lb smoker. One step at a time. ;)