4 stroke engine question

GoldenMotor.com

karen

Oct 21, 2012
california
new to motorized biking. Live in ca. Wanted to get my 16 year old grandson a motor for christmas, I understand that the 2 strokes cannot be shipped or picked up in california. however the 4 strokes can. I was wondering what weight capacity can the 4 stroke take? What kind of hills can they take? Is it better to get a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. And if I chose a 4 stroke which brand or store should I purchase from. thanks karenr.ly.r.ly.r.ly.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
We have 250+ pound guys on this site that ride these four stroke kits. Your grandson can always do a little pedaling to help that motor pull him up the hills.

Last edited:

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
the 4 stroke kits are the way to go he will be extremely happy with it i wish i had one when i was a kid there are a few guys that tour with them on here that are 250 lbs and carry 70lbs of gear on the bike

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've had a 2 horsepower Huasheng 49CC from bicycle-engines.com for 2 years, my bike and I combined weigh about 300-310lbs. I have over 5500 miles on it.

I've carried up to 50lbs of groceries and had no problems hitting the 30MPH legal speed limit on flats. I often pedal tho, whether I "need" to or not!

...Live in ca. ... 2 strokes cannot be shipped or picked up in california. however the 4 strokes can. ... Is it better to get a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. ...
(I'm restricting my response to small gasoline engines.) There is plenty of info out there on the difference between a 2 and 4 stroke engine, and as a start, read some of it. Essentially,
2-stroke:
  • works in any orientation,
  • strong for the size,
  • cheap,
  • simple (no valves),
  • lots of pollution,
  • hard to start
  • short life
  • requires a mix of oil and gas for fuel
4-stroke: (the contrary to the above)
  • must be in the up position,
  • heaver for the same power,
  • more moving parts (a disadvantage)
  • easier to start,
  • longer life
  • uses straight gas as fuel

The simple answer: Go with a 4 stroke.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
^^ the above generalizations do apply to the chinese kits that are popular, but not to all 4 or 2 strokes. 2 stroke dirt bikes are 100x easier to start than 4 strokes, and last about as long. i would go with the 4 stroke if your grandson is not into tinkering very much, chinese 2 strokes need constant upkeep and adjustment. the 4 stroke will definitely last much longer than the POS 2 stroke kits.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Karen, welcome.

A very often over looked part is the bicycle it self. You want good brakes, front and rear. "knobby" tires make for a lot of vibration but some folks like em.

Bicycle fenders are really, really dangerous if not shored up or removed. Many folks have a great many miles using stock fenders as is. But I could not in good conscience not mention it.

Also, a good motorcycle/scooter helmet is a must! A bicycle helmet is great but then other motorists think the rider is going around 10 MPH instead of 20, 30 or more.

They being 2 wheeled vehicles and most especially with being 16, A safe riding course would also be a good idea.

If I forgot any thing, some one will point it out.

What a cool GrandMa! Would love to see his face when he opens that present.

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
If you live in California.... according to California law, you must register a motorized bike with the state with a one time $19.00 fee. Also according to California law your grandson should have an M1 or M2 drivers license. An M1 is for motorcycles, an M2 is for motor scooters. This is more than just a written test. There is also a road test involved and it is up to him to bring the motorcycle or motor scooter to the DMV for the road test. You cannot bring your motorized bike to a DMV and think you are going to take your test on it - they will ask you to come back with a motor scooter (for an M2 license) or a motorcycle (for an M1 license) If they are nice they will wait until he is out the door and down the block before they all break out laughing. I started a thread quite some time ago about being legal in California and regardless of what you read, what people want to believe, what people tell you, what people think they know... know that the above is true. I do not own a motorcycle and was not about to buy one so I could become legal on my motorized bike, so I took the California Highway Patrol sanctioned motorcycle class which is an entire weekend. It costs $250.00 and when you are done, assuming you pass, you only need to take the written exam at the DMV. In essence you are not only taking a great course, but you are also taking your road test on a real motorcycle as part of the class. I don't think that getting an M2 license at a CHP school is even an option, besides with an M1 you can drive a motor scooter but you can't drive a motorcycle with an M2. Good luck and ride safe.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
so I could become legal on my motorized bike, so I took the California Highway Patrol sanctioned motorcycle class which is an entire weekend. It costs $250.00 and when you are done, assuming you pass, you only need to take the written exam at the DMV. In essence you are not only taking a great course, but you are also taking your road test on a real motorcycle as part of the class.
If you are 16 or under 21 you have to take the Motorcycle Safety Course to get
a motorcycle license, but I think it's $150

Everything else you said was right on.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
If you live in California.... according to California law, you must register a motorized bike with the state with a one time $19.00 fee. Also according to California law your grandson should have an M1 or M2 drivers license. An M1 is for motorcycles, an M2 is for motor scooters. This is more than just a written test. There is also a road test involved and it is up to him to bring the motorcycle or motor scooter to the DMV for the road test. You cannot bring your motorized bike to a DMV and think you are going to take your test on it - they will ask you to come back with a motor scooter (for an M2 license) or a motorcycle (for an M1 license) If they are nice they will wait until he is out the door and down the block before they all break out laughing. I started a thread quite some time ago about being legal in California and regardless of what you read, what people want to believe, what people tell you, what people think they know... know that the above is true. I do not own a motorcycle and was not about to buy one so I could become legal on my motorized bike, so I took the California Highway Patrol sanctioned motorcycle class which is an entire weekend. It costs $250.00 and when you are done, assuming you pass, you only need to take the written exam at the DMV. In essence you are not only taking a great course, but you are also taking your road test on a real motorcycle as part of the class. I don't think that getting an M2 license at a CHP school is even an option, besides with an M1 you can drive a motor scooter but you can't drive a motorcycle with an M2. Good luck and ride safe.

incorrect you just need a bike helmet.. and pedals on the bike its considered a bicycle with pedals and under 50 cc's

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
incorrect you just need a bike helmet.. and pedals on the bike its considered a bicycle with pedals and under 50 cc's
No, you are incorrect. ;) You must have never read the DMV website
or Motorcycle handbook and are quoting misinformation.

There is absolutely NO mention of 50 cc in CA CVC codes.

They say 2 hp and under and ALL gas powered 2 wheel vehicles in CA
require a drivers license and that includes scooters/ GoPeds.

406 (a) which are gas powered motorized bicycles require a DOT helmet.
M2 or M1 license, $19 license plate.

406 (b) is electric bikes which require no license, a bicycle helmet and
be over 16.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/mcycle_htm/requirements.htm
Motorcycle Handbook License Requirements

California issues the following license classes for two-wheel vehicle operation:

Class M1—You may operate any two-wheel motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2.
NOTE: The permit and license requirements in this handbook pertain to two-wheel vehicles and are referenced in Section12804.9 of the California Vehicle Code.

Class M2—You may operate any motorized bicycle, moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, or a motorized scooter.
You may obtain a Class M1 or M2 license at any DMV office which provides driver license services. Motorcycle law tests and skill tests are required.

NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle.

Last edited by a moderator:

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california

496 (b) is electric bikes which require no license, a bicycle helmet and
be over 16.
look under mopeds definition and bicycle definition.. as long at its bleow 2 hp which is 49 cc husangs are 1.5-1.9 hp max.. and a helmet with pedals they dont bother you.. i ride all the time i get waves and looks from the local police no problems if you go close to the speed limit take a lane you cannot ride on the sidewalk since it has an engine.. and must keep it under 30 mph to be legal.. this was told to me by a police officer and my uncle who is a police officer..

if it has pedals and has a 50 cc or over and spedo and capable of doing 30 or more its a m1 licensee

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california

406 (b) is electric bikes which require no license, a bicycle helmet and
be over 16.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/mcycle_htm/requirements.htm
oh and you have to be over 15 to drive one and have a drivers license.. no insurance is required the license is proof that you follow rules of a car and know what they are so you will drive the bike the same since oyu have to ride in the bike lane.. you must use proper signals etc drive on the right side of road.. basic stuff but no license plate or insurance or anything like that

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Karen, some good information above and concern. Be sure to check with your local DMV to be sure. Mine here in CT changed and I didn't know for 2 yrs.

Do your own research at the local DMV web site or in person.

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
There is some confusion over this in California because an electric motorized bicycle (that doesn't exceed 20 MPH [Division 12, subdivision (b) of Section 406]) does not require a driver's license. "A person operating a motorized bicycle is not subject to the provisions of this code relating to financial responsibility, driver's licenses, registration, and license plate requirements, and a motorized bicycle is not a motor vehicle."

With an ICE it requires a Class M2 license (as covered in Division 12, subdivision (a) of Section 406). The Class M2 includes the following:

(i) A motorized bicycle or moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, except a motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406.

(ii) A motorized scooter.

(B) Authority to operate vehicles included in class M2 may be granted by endorsement on a class A, B, or C license upon completion of an appropriate examination, except that no endorsement is required for a motorized scooter. Persons holding a class M1 license or endorsement may operate vehicles included in class M2 without further examination. (From the California Vehicle Code, Division 6, Section 12804.9)
Source(s):
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc1…
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc4…
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc2…
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc2…
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.p…

Only major crash I have had was due to a front fender failing and locking up the front end Nehmo. Has happened a lot.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=10191
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=289
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=26482
I don't approve of them either.
I've always felt fenders were an aesthetically sissy accessory, so I feel vindicated when I see people wrecking with them. Also, the typical design (almost hugging the tire) doesn't make sense if the object is to keep the rider clean.

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
Where did you get this information? There is no mention in the California Vehicle Code or California Highway Patrol regarding 50cc - 2 gross horsepower is all it states.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/mcycle_htm/operation.htm
http://www.chp.ca.gov/publications/pdf/chp888.pdf
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/motors.html

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
It's the area you folk live in. When I read the threads on cali law. It reads to me like a bunch of people with nothing better to do *****ing back and forth about the law. Okay so you live in rich ass so-cal where they bust people for modified exhausts and such instead of busting drug dealers and gangbangers. OF COURSE THEY BUST YOU ON A MB, THEY HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO. Now in my area, they are quite busy with the local gangs alone. I have NEVER got a ticket, even in the 6 cars I've owned.

In my county we have a huge collection of MB folk, none on this site that I can tell. They ride everything from 2 smokers to huge briggs custom choppers. They take up 2-3 cars worth of road space in 2-3 rows and cruise around the city.

I live a city over in same county where I see them folk, I asked a LEO that knew me what they'd do about my MB.

Said at the most they'd pull me over to check it out if they weren't busy.

I've blown past them without ever being bothered. They did say the CHP will possibly bother but CHP only reside in certain areas. A 16 year old should be riding near their home or other closed courses not a street.

Not pointing this at anybody in particular, just stating my opinion.
When I get a ticket for no M1/M2 license and such for a less then 50cc motor, I'll surely post here and say aw you guys were right however I done well over 150 miles on my bike passed cops every so often and not worried one bit.
---

Most police in nor cal believe the 50cc or less. Technically it is only under 2HP as you said, which means you just need to be going under 30. 2HP can barely go over 35 or so unless light rider and such.

TBH I don't see a grandson getting a M1 or M2 license at 16. You need to first have your DL, then get a motorcycle permit, etc.

I'd just ride it, it's a bike.

showcaller

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
I don't think anyone here is trying to convince you or others to comply with the law, just stating what the law is.

One thing I have learned from your post and others is there are many many uninformed policemen out there, at least in California. The state says nothing about 49 cc engines, yet everyone thinks this is the magic number for being legal without having or needing a license (m1 or m2) and not having your MB registered with the state. There isn't a lower horsepower or CC limit. On the other side of the coin, If you can figure out a way to mount a 327 V8 on your bike and still be able to peddle it and have that engine develop less than 2 horsepower -you are legal.

If you have racked up a 150 miles and wave to police as you go by them then clearly you are not concerned about the law. You do mention a couple of statements that are curious, like the one about if they (the police) were not busy maybe they would pull you over. If they pull you over they are probably pulling you over to see if you are legal, not to discuss the latest football scores.

Why would the CHP pull you over? Are you on the freeway?

Lastly your statement about a 16 year old should be riding near their home or other closed courses not a street.

With all due respect that has got to be one of the most ridiculous statements I have read on this website in the two years I have been active. Is that like being just a little bit pregnant?