Gloves: Who Wears Them and What Kind

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Twice now I've nearly had an accident because my glove slipped off the handgrip. One pair was leather ski gloves the other pair were a soft nylon material with a supposedly, non-slip surface on the palm and fIngers. The first time I hit a bump and my right hand slid off the grip. The second time, just a few minutes ago in fact, I was making a 'U' turn on a steet near my house. Again, my gloved hand, the left one this time, slipped off the grip and I almost went down.

I know they will provide some protection in the event of a fall and when it's cold they keep your hands from getting numb. But, I need a glove that is will not slip. Until I find them I'm not wearing gloves.

What do you guys wear?

Tom

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
the gloves i wear are similar to mechanics gloves not the thickest things but have a fair amount of grip.

for me i wear them for comfort
in case i fall may keep one extra piece of gravel out
of course cold air

the top of them are nylon while the bottoms a thin layer of leather

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
I've never had my hands slip off my grips and during the cold months I just wear regular winter gloves. I'm also using that stupid plastic throttle that came with my kit. You must have some weird bars or grip your bars too loosely.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I have my old leather Harley Davidson gloves for cold riding, which are rarely used. For the warmer parts of the riding season I use leather fingerless gloves that work great. However, most of the time I forget that I have gloves on board and don't even put them on.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Gloves are tricky... tho I ride all winter I mostly only use a relatively thin pair of thermolite lined suede leather driving gloves to maintain dexterity. Though inexpensive I searched high and low to find a pair that were made of a very supple, real leather suede and ones that fit my fingers perfectly - it seems in really cold weather many of the vinyl/plether ones tend to get slick & I hate hate hate the clumsy feel of gloves that don't fit quite right and/or are so heavily padded/insulated you've hot dogs for fingers. I do think fit is the most important thing, as well as wearing the thinnest gloves you can get away with.

Real suede does an impressive job of stopping wind chill in it's tracks and seems to "stick" to the squishy grips my winter beater has, yet still doesn't slip on the smooth, hard plastic grips on my cruiser. When it gets to significantly sub-zero temps and or a particularly long trip, I'll put a pair of heavier but uninsulated "gauntlet" type leather work/welding gloves on over them. While thicker than I'd like, wearing both pairs is no more clumsy than a "normal" pair of winter gloves, yet I've ridden w/o problems in even -20°F temps (not including wind chill). I never use any waterproofing agents on the leather as they often leave a greasy residue or a plastic "feel" to the suede's grip, the thermolite gloves tend to be quite water repellent on their own.

I don't even clench the grips very tightly when I ride usually, just "resting" my palms on the grips w/a coupla fingers near the levers... but if you've chopper style ape hangers, board tracker bars or something, handlebars where the grips aren't horizontal (ends facing down) - I could see having problems maintaining a good grip on the throttle while wearing gloves & hitting a bump w/cold numb fingers... & gawd help you if yer addicted to the armor-all shiny or somethin' lol ;)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
For warm weather, I use a pair of jack-hammer gloves. Heavily padded leather on the palms (for vibration/numbness) and "fingerless" like bicycle gloves. Can make adjustments and small repairs with out taking em off. I really like em. Even a small spill always ends up with messed up palms. Then working is a bummer for days.

Mine were $7 or 8 bucks at HF.

Found link; http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-finger-antivibration-gloves-large-95544.html

(Always seem to be bright yellow and black in the stores and not that peach looking color shown in the pic.)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i wear "gorrilla grip" gloves from home depot. they're really thin with a rubber-like surface over the palms and fingers. they're surprisingly warm, too.

i wore them when i raced in the rain, with no slippage at all.

not much protection, but better than nothing.

i wear them at work and you can do intricate things without taking them off, like putting on little nuts and bolts.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i dont, but i want to find a pair of studded leather gauntlets to slap cars with when they crowd me or think its funny to blaze past me at twice the speed of death and miss my bars by inches.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
i livei in az so the thinner the better. i got some fox gloves with leather bottoms/palm and breathable upper. just because crashing happens

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I use deerskin work gloves. They are kind of a funny yellowish color and some poor deer had to die for me to have them, but they are super soft and flexible and they grip good for me. I have never had a slipping problem, but I do not ride in very cold weather, 40's would be the lowest.

Gilbert

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
For the winter I recently started using gantlet style? Guess that's what they are called? Had been running a cutting torch and came to like these. so I bought a set for home.

These gloves were cherry for playing with my dog when I get home after work at night.. The bugger likes to play ruff! He knows the difference tho. Can't get him to play right with out them. Yet when I put them on.. There is a renewed look on that well loved ''old '' dogs eyes there perfect!:) Every other leather glove I had used got shredded quickly lol. http://www.amazon.com/Stallion-111R-18-Standard-Cowhide-Welding/dp/B003K1VI3O

I soon found out since these leather gloves were so darn thick . For Welding and Torch work. The gloves blocked the wind this winter on my bike rides when combined with another glove it was sweet. My hands stayed very warm and toasty.

With these cotton gloves from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/6-pair...-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

Or a pair of my Mechanic's type gloves. I use these in the summer or a pair of leather gloves like for gardening. Its got to a point that I like gloves all year round. Skinned finger or whatever from a miss hap is just no fun and seams to be avoidable.

On my rides I use BMX style bars that are pretty straight across. Yet they have just the right pitch to them that my palms ''the side for striking things'' comes in contact with the grips first

My body weight while riding the bike leaves my palms naturally trained and resting there in a nice neutral ergonomical fashion. Don't seam to have a problem with grip at all. Then all I need is to just reach for the brake caliper handles which is strategically positioned natural as well.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I wear gloves on long rides, when it's cold or when I race. If and when you come off your bike, the first thing that hit's the ground is your hands (hopefully), thus a good reason for wearing them.

These are my gloves of choice:

For long rides I like Thor gloves

For racing I like these gloves by Bilt

And for the cold rides I use Head Gortex ski gloves

Also, I like wearing latex type gloves when working on dirty, greasy bikes and using solvents......doctors seem to like them too.

dnut

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
How did you do that second picture? That is a pretty neat trick... fingers are gone.:)
I have no idea what happend there, was wondering the same thing myself lol. I just took a pic of my left hand with the camera in my right hand.......

I did this one just the opposite.......looks like my fingers stayed intact this time?

dnut