Anyone doing a whizzer resto ?

GoldenMotor.com

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
I was just wondering if anyone has a whizzer restoration going on, vintage or new edition. I've got a past 99 whizzer that is probably about done!
This is what it looked like when we got started.
The cylinder is still a WC-1, the head is a 2003 with the 10mm spark plug, cylinder and head have been modified and reworked. I also used thermal barriers (heat coating) to help bring down the temps to about 275 degrees,used 1/16 roll pins on the valve seats.

Attachments

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
I thought i would post pics of the original WC-1 cylinder with the intake restrictor still in the intake and some of the mats still left in the exhuast port too.
You can compare them with the cylinder that has the thermal coating.

I removed the stock muffler and replaced it with one of Tom Hand Hi Flow muffler, you can see a big difference in the size.

Attachments

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
We rode the whizzer around town here for the frist 50 miles at under 20 mph and all went well, but we notice that the plug was still new looking, so we went from a #80 main jet to a #85. Then we decided to ride to fullerton airport for some lunch.

6 miles oneway, it ran good there and back. took another look, plug was still running to lean. #88 main jet this time.

Bairdco and Neil put a ride together from El Dorado Part in Long Beach to Huntington Beach. Bob and I went on this one. It was about a 30 mile ride mostly alone the coastline to Huntington Beach.

There was 30 plus riders,we had a great time riding with everyone.

Attachments

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
hey Ray, you should have went to the races yesterday lots of old whizzers running real good and the briggs guy's too. i too tried my hand at racing and i'm pretty consistant... 3 heat's and 3 last places but i had the time of my life. you have both old and new. can the new whizzers out power the old model's with out spending a fortune? and happy easter to you and your family god bless dennis p.s. as you know i'm the weight of two people on one bike so i won my weight class!

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
We there gonna do a lunch run again to fullerton airport when we notice the head gasket was leaking,we turn back and pulled the head off, a blown head gasket.

The 6mm studs are to small for the compression i'm that.
So i went with 5/16 allen heads and this solved the problem!

The WC-1 flywheel were never balanced and weigh 6 plus pounds.
It was time to send them off to Bill Green. I also moved the trigger plate, the factory setting was at 14 degrees (BTDC), move it forward to 28 degrees.
Bill's work of the flywheel was one of the biggest improvement, I'm getting quicker acceleration,it's less dead wieght and no vibration anymore!!

This pretty much finishes this project and we had alot of fun through out the whole project.

And now it's off to the next project! Ray

Attachments

Last edited:

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
hey Ray, you should have went to the races yesterday lots of old whizzers running real good and the briggs guy's too. i too tried my hand at racing and i'm pretty consistant... 3 heat's and 3 last places but i had the time of my life. you have both old and new. can the new whizzers out power the old model's with out spending a fortune? and happy easter to you and your family god bless dennis p.s. as you know i'm the weight of two people on one bike so i won my weight class!
Dennis you are a true friend, thanks buddy.
The new edition whizzer is better because of it's massive crank, i'm doing some mods both in the crankcase and crank, looking for some quicker RPMs.
Ray

grunthum

Mar 30, 2012
Kansas City
Hi Ray
On your WC1 what would the engine temps be without the coating, just the original engine temps after some hard riding? Were there problems with the valve seats on this particular engine or do the problems arise after modifying the engine? How do the roll pins solve this problem, do they expand when hot? I assume you installed them to keep the valve seats in place. Is this your first set up like this and how is it testing out? I know thats alot of ?'s but inquiring minds want to know. 2 more, is that aggie's car and is that Foyt sitting in it? Thanks Ray for all your pics. and info. Grant

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Hi Grant, sorry it's taken me sometime to post i've got grandkids over.
WC-1's run very high temps,any mods add to it.
That's why i used Thermal Barrier coating and a Dry flim lubricant coating to the skirt of the piston, our pistons are not cam ground.
so adding the coatings have help to reduce the friction.

All WC-1 cylinders have this problem with valve seats becoming loose,seats are steel and the cylinder is aluminum,different metals expanding and contracting at different rates,the seats would come loose when the motor got real hot.
The use of roll pins have been used on the WC-1 seats since about 2004.
i have done 2 WC-1 cylinders and have had positive results.

That is aggie's car and the fellow behind the wheel is parrelli jones,he was part owner back then.it still belongs to the agajanian family.

Big Thanks Grant and Dennis you guys should be posting more here!!

Ray

Last edited:

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
I also have a 2001 WC-1 pacemaker II that i got from Whizzer USA dealer #5.
the 24" bikes came out first then in june the 26" wheels. these bikes where the first auto clutch bikes, they also came with 3ph motors. this one has worksman drum brakes front and back.
I can post pics of the WC-1 cylinder up grade with thermal coating.

Ray

Attachments