GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That Tom, is the ultimate tadpole in my books. My brother did mention that if I didn't get the other ones that I have parts piled up for done, I might "croak". :)

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Things have been creaking along much like myself. Rain has slowed up if not completely stopped so I was able to clean out the half of the garage that I use. Had to put it outside to organize it and with a yard sale completed the crap won't filter back in. Just the fresh stuff that will take it's place.

Today I was measuring up the trike for an idea I had and then it went to get the basket holder off and then the brakes and cables. Finally i said toast it and took it out on the front lawn and cut the brackets off that the former owner had so thoughtfully welded on it when he added the motor.
The kid should have welded up the Titannic. Nothing would have come loose. He welds like I do and that is not good. I call it fear welding. I'm afraid it might come loose so I keep piling weld on to it so it looks good and safe.

Sure glad I loaded up with cutting disks when Silverbear and I went to Harbour Freight last summer. I went through 12 of them cutting the added metal off the trike. If metal met metal he welded it there.

Cut the seat posts off the bike to get at some of the brackets but it had to come off anyway so I can put it were I want it. I'll cut the tube off just in front of the trike part and add 12" to 18" to lengthen it. The trike really is a cheap piece of crap.
Wheels are not keyed to the axles. Instead they have a roll pin going through the axle and the wheel has a notch on the inside of the hub that goes up against the roll pin when you tighten the nut on the axle. Rude and crude.

I'm thinking that it will have a hub motor on the front wheel. I have one and without spending a lot of money on rebuilding the trike rear end it will never stand up to a motor. I do have a trike rear end that I bought some time ago from Chainmaker that is set up for a motor and I'll use that when the time comes.

If the weather holds up I'll get at it tomorrow. I'm waiting for information on parts for the tricar so I'll fill time in with the trike.

Click on the photo to go to photo bucket.

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Motortriker,

Both the wheels are driven by the pedal chain. This acts as a differential since they both free wheel. It has a 3 speed hub and I'm going back and forth between using a hub motor front wheel which I have or a Cyclone set up so I can use the 3 speed which isn't legal here in Canada but of course they have to catch you doing it first.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hi Motortriker,

Both the wheels are driven by the pedal chain. This acts as a differential since they both free wheel. It has a 3 speed hub and I'm going back and forth between using a hub motor front wheel which I have or a Cyclone set up so I can use the 3 speed which isn't legal here in Canada but of course they have to catch you doing it first.

Steve.
Well, sir, I'd say three speed cyclone has a nice sound to it. If they catch you speeding tell them you're incontinent and have to race from one bathroom to the next. Any other objections or questions about the power train you can just babble, act confused and perhaps drool a bit. That will teach them to leave us old guys alone as we are more trouble than we're worth. Crying might also be effective.
Yes, Steve, go for the gold. We might not be around for a whole lot longer so let's have some fun, eh?
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
So your saying I should just be myself??? LOL.

I am looking at the Cyclone motor kit rather hard. Motortriker has a Schwinn trike set up with an Currie/IZIP trike rearend that has a place for the Currie motor prebuilt into it.

The Cyclone will make this more than fast enough to get me from home to the store which is about as far as I would want to go around here. They are putting bike lanes in on the major streets here but as yet it's almost a case of certain death riding the main roads in our immediate area. The drivers seem to feel that bike riders are a minor inconvenience that should be taught a lesson for being on the road.

I have found that a beer bottle full of sand casually tossed over ones shoulder dissuades this kind of behaviour. :)

Steve.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
That rear end is right ! :)

Last weekend I was riding the trike hard offroad .

Only the left tire is powered.

My wife Nancy is about 100 lbs. I am about 170.

She could go right through the sugar sand but the torque of the motor tends to make the trike want to go right because only the left tire is turning.

With me on it I was getting spinnage and tended to lean left to get more traction.

On pavement I have to lean forward to keep the front tire on the ground when giving full throttle at start off.

Powering both wheels is the way to go with an electric motor I would think.

I have a couple of Trailmate trikes. They have two axles like yours but only the right side is powered.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Motortriker.
I'm surprised that they only powered one side on yours and this cheap little trike they powered both sides. Go figure.

This poor trike has to move not only it's self but another 250 pounds as well. Me.

I had thought about getting a rear axle with a differential that Northern Tools sells for go- karts. Just put a sprocket on both sides of the differential hub and you can drive it with pedals and motor drive.
Build your own rear frame and you can add disk brakes as well. They use them in pedi cabs a lot.

They are 38" but can be cut down though you may have to have a new key way cut in the ends. Now I have this one I'll work with it though.

Interesting that the torque will lift the front end when you get on the throttle. Must have been a tad exciting the first time it did that.

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Went up to our version of Harbour Freight called Princess Auto to get some parts for the sandblaster. Of course they have the great deals stacked up as you walk in and I did stand there for a minutes looking at the 208cc, 7hp motor for $129. Of course the 420cc 15hp motor with electric and recoil start for $279 had a few possibilities as well.

The cold wave of reality did wash over me and I moved on.

I went over to the industrial section where I never go and made some interesting finds. They had 36" axle shafts of various thicknesses with a 1/4" keyway cut from end to end. If I can find rear wheels or hubs with the same size keyway I can replace the axles in the trike. They just have roll pins holding them on at the moment and I'm not to sure how much power they will handle. I'll know pretty soon though. :)

Not far away were keyed axle mounts for weld on sprockets. Find the sprocket of your choice and weld it to the mount and your good to go. All for industrial sized chain as well.
Found a whole shelf full of bearings also so I'll have to do some measuring and load up.

Mooching around a bit more I found that they had boxes of Comet torque converters. A definate plus since now I don't have to order one if I need it. Cut a couple of weeks off the wait time and the shipping costs won't be a killer.

All in all a fine Friday afternoon well spent.

Steve.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
Lots of trikes in Florida and I have yet to see one like yours. Maybe it is custom built ?

Powering one side was no big deal until I put a motor on it.

The factory Tricruiser has 3 sla batteries in a pack below the seat and that might help keep the front down.

Stock Tricruiser might have a controller that will not deliver so many amps at start off too.

We have a local HF and NT. I need to get over there. :)

It is still exciting to ride that trike on and off road. I will take some video next time and change the way people think about these old people bikes ! :)

Motortriker.
I'm surprised that they only powered one side on your and this cheap little trike they powered both sides. Go figure.

This poor trike has to move not only it's self but another 250 pounds as well. Me.

I had thought about getting a rear axle with a differential that Northern Tools sells for go- karts. Just put a sprocket on both sides of the differential hub and you can drive it with pedals and motor drive.
Build your own rear frame and you can add disk brakes as well. They use them in pedi cabs a lot.

They are 38" but can be cut down though you may have to have a new key way cut in the ends. Now I have this one I'll work with it though.

Interesting that the torque will lift the front end when you get on the throttle. Must have been a tad exciting the first time it did that.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
flmotorbikes,

Bought it White Rock B.C. A town just south of me on the Canada-Washington state border through a Craigs List ad.

I will look tomorrow to see if there is a painted over makers lable. I was going to do it today and didn't have time. Trikes in this part of the world are rare if they aren't recumbent so I bought it and loaded it plus it was pounding rain and I being a fair weather kind of guy was in a terrible hurry.

Looking at it today as I was working on it they have mounts threaded on the 5/8 axle and free wheels hubs welded on them.

Just went out and looked.
The dual drive hub says,

Triple Speed Hub
U.S.A. Pat.3021728

There is no head badge but I did see two sets of serial numbers that I'll post tomorrow. I'm nearly crippled up from lifting and bending over today to the point that I can't walk.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Motortriker,

The little bit I've been around trikes I'd have to say this is factory build but for the most part very cheaply done. It's no Schwinn for sure. Funny they would put in what looks like a quality drive system.

I'm wondering if it was a "We'll buy 2,500 at this price." and they made them but used their better drive system. I lived in Tampa and Seffner in the mid 1980's and I remember the old folks ripping around on their trikes. How often I wished I had a couple of them now.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ibedayank,

Thank you for posting that. The really odd part is that that is how the wheels on the trike were made. Looks like a giant washer with holes for spokes that was welded to a piece of tubing. They only welded it in three or 4 places. Not right around.

I'll build this one and I may build a serious one with a gas engine on it. One that will stand up and be counted

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looks like you're having fun, Steve. Please do figure out everything on the drive system, axles and wheels so we can convert my 63 Schwinn American deluxe (girl's bike) to a trike on the cheap. It already has a pull start China girl powering it and I have a Hercules moped fork and a 36 volt pancake wheel for up front. A hybrid no less from stuff sitting around.

How much for the comet clutch at HF? Your HF must be bigger than the one in Duluth we went to last summer or I missed a lot of cool stuff.

Don't get all crippled up so you can't do anything at Bicycle Summer Camp in Minnesota come July. We geezers have to pace ourselves. Come on summer!
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Silverbear,

The Comet torque converter is $289. Not sure how that compares to the price near you but as you know the shipping and handling charges to Canada kill any saving that we might get buying in the U.S.

We don't have a Harbour Freight here as yet. Princess Auto is a Canadian company. There have been major changes in the store though so I have a feeling that they are getting ready for Harbour Freight to move in. If they do fasteddy will be doing the happy dance along with a few million others.

We'll have to brain storm a set up for your trike or shamelessly steal some one elses. If that happens I will feel cheap and easy but I can live with it. :)

Going out to work on the trike shortly. It's not your Grandmothers trike any more. I stretched it 27". The welder works like a champ and is a major difference from the 100A Lincoln I was using before. You really have to keep the wire moving or you get a very impressive build up in no time flat.
I now have cosmetic grinding down to a science.

Steve.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Steve! That is how we will get rich! Open a Harbor Freight up your way!!!!

You man the register and I will stock shelves! (And we hire coeds to smile and collect shopping carts. Wut could go wrong? snork)