How safe are motorized bikes?

GoldenMotor.com

Ramallama

Jan 18, 2012
Arkansas
I'm going to build one in a couple months on a cruiser. How many people do you know that have gotten injured while riding? And how to be most safe while riding? I'm going to get a rear view mirror and I've already bought a full face helmet.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
they are safe as guns, trampolines, swimming pools and lawn darts.

actually, probably safer than trampolines.

it all depends on how you ride, how the people around you drive, and how well it's built.

i bounced off a few cars (not my fault) slid out around a corner (not totally my fault, some car leaked coolant all over the intersection) and crashed racing. 3 times. (totally my fault.)

i've never gone down due to bike malfunctions, though.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Someone has died on his maiden voyage because he slid out and nailed a curb with his skull(no helmet). Others have been injured by having crappy brakes in an emergency stop, when someone pulled out in front of them...

Some have been injured just by the pure idiocy of drivers on the road.... "oh I didn't see you, I was texting... Sorry I ran you over"...

Others still have been injured by not realizing the speed at which an engine will carry you, whether by inferior components, fender mounts disintegrating, idlers rotating into the spokes at speed...

There are many number of ways to injure yourself if you do not respect your machine, yourself, and/or traffic in general. Helmet is a must, lights after dark are a must, and proper maintenance is a must. eg. make sure mounts are snug, lights are working, etc...

Don't be scared off, just take the proper precautions... and ride like you're invisible.

Best of luck, and don't be afraid to ask any question, no matter how inane. But... There is a handy search box up top(just so you know)

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
They are as safe as you build them to be.
Start out with a bike that has good quality parts, a strong frame and healthy brakes and you will be a step ahead of the game.
Start out with a $100 WallyWorld bike and you will have some safety related upgrading to do that most likely will cost nearly the same as a better quality bike would have in the first place.
Mount the engine securely, no rubber shims or duct tape should be used here.
Also avoid drilling any holes in the frame.

Read the newb threads and read them again. They are there to help you out.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
These are the 4 things that I think will do the most to make your ride safe.
-Wear a helmet; bicycle or motorcycle style.
-Have a front brake and be sure it works.
-Ride on roads with slower speed limits. Avoid highways unless you can ride in the emergency lane.
-Ride like nobody can see you.
I think these were all mentioned in the above posts.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Perhaps a motorcycle safety course would be a good idea...lots of folks don't understand countersteering and how it can help you avoid an object in your way while riding at high speed and how it can cause you to wreck too if you don't understand it.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Most of the rules pertaining to pedal bicycles apply here.

Except for MB speed.

Cagers don't realize MB's are faster than regular bikes.

It takes longer to slow the bike down, and brakes will wear out faster than normal.

In certain instances, motorized bicycles are safer than pedal bicycles. You can accelerate and keep your distance from cars. If your bike is fast enough, it can keep up with traffic, or away from traffic.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
expect at any moment some idiot will pull out in front of you, and they will always be prepared to stop,and dont forget to wear your seatbelt..

glenn.duh.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
they are very safe.

but i would advise to make sure your brakes are better than what you will need. (I.e. try to get a front disc, at least)

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hang on tight.

My bike wants me to slide off the bike in first gear, especially when climbing hills.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
expect at any moment some idiot will pull out in front of you, and they will always be prepared to stop,and dont forget to wear your seatbelt..

glenn.duh.
glennbo, please remove your seat belt from your MB as soon as possible!
We would like to have you around here for as long as possible and it would be horrible if you were securely strapped down to your MB during an accident....

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Safe? Like a crash? Getting hit by a car or just hitting the ground? Safer than a motorbike, less safe than a bicycle either way. If you actually geared up properly you'd prolly walk away with nothing more than a couple bruises if you dumped at speed but considering no one actually wears proper gear on bicycles, you can well consider yourself royally effed. I know a guy that got creamed by a car head on at speed and he has brain damage now.

But hey, it's a bike. There is inherent danger involved no matter what. "Use at your own risk" is a motto, not a warning. We wouldn't try going 50mph on a bicycle if we didn't love the thrill fear instills.