I hate idiots with cars!

GoldenMotor.com

thedude

Sep 10, 2011
San Francisco
Well I just had my first real incident with a car on my way home from work tonight, guess they didnt like me being on the side of the road and they ran me into a fence. I couldnt stop in time, luckily I wear a DOT helmet so my head didnt feel anything, but the rest of my body did! holy crap I hurt! Ankle feels like it could be broken, my bike handle bars are bent, a seal on the engine blew cause its leaking oil, and the muffler has smoke and liquid oil spitting out of it....thanks alot jackhole, hopefully the engine and bike are salvageable, to dark to check it out now. And if my leg and ankle hurt this bad tomorrow, might have to visit the hospital....

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Friggin Cagers! Hope your not too damaged, that's all you need is a hospital bill because of some asshat. Best wishes.

We gotta ride like we're invisible... :(

thedude

Sep 10, 2011
San Francisco
The guy was going the wrong way................and so we had a fun lil game of chicken, I pushed up against a fence, a lil to close and my handlebar got caught in the fence, as i got pulled into the fence, my gas got stuck full throttle. Front end of bicycle and face hit the fence, bending my front wheel and torquing my handlebars out of whack, my mirrors and headlight got ripped off and during this my leg got wrapped up in the crank, the crank got bent so the bicycle side is nonfunctional. Engine seems ok, oil had spilled out so had a bit of cleaning to do and it likely got over-reved at full throttle with no weight on the tire. Might have a small leak on a lower front seal on the engine, but after all the oil from it being upside down and sideways burned off oil stopped spewing from the muffler. My ankle is pretty messed up, I cant walk, should probly go to the doctor, but Im going to wait to see if it gets better or worse over the next day or 2.

Oh and no he didnt stop, yelled something at me as he passed but going opposite directions I had no idea what he said.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I'm glad you're alive to share your harrowing tale.:-||

Playing chicken with a car?

Not a good idea. I will learn from this.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Another cager who's license should be permanently revoked.

Really. Why should idiots like this be allowed to drive?

Let 'em take the bus.

I'm going to start writing letters. 1 moving violation and 1 accident in the same year you're done for a year. Take the bus and think about it.

Heal up dude. Bummer.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Get to a Doc. Blood Posioning can kill you in 48 hours. The slime will get his in the end. I know, I almost died from a broken leg.
Yes! See a doctor or an emergency room. Put your health first.

Side note: I remember going down a narrow one-way street in the Cleveland area (and thanking my lucky stars that I was driving a big, hulking, '79 Sedan Deville). Before I could reach the other end, some fool turned in and was facing me and coming my way, probably thinking I'd move.
I didn't move; instead, I put on the brakes and stopped completely. I had the gigantic bumper of a late-seventies Cadillac. He had a Hyundai. What was he gonna do?
He slammed on his brakes in front of me. He leaned out the window and cursed and swore, telling me in profane terms to get out of "his" way. I turned up the radio. I knew I was going the right way. Heck, I could even see the "stop" sign at the end of the street and it was facing me. I could also see the backside of what I knew to be the "wrong way" sign that this other driver missed.
Took the guy about ten minutes to relent and back out. He probably never did figure out his mistake. But I sure as heck wasn't going to try getting a ticket for going the wrong way BACKWARDS on a one way street.

Sometimes people learn by reading signs, directions, and instructions.
Sometimes people learn from mistakes.
Then there are those annoying and dangerous blokes who refuse to learn. I have known a few and find that I don't get very attached to them.

Last edited:

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
sorry to hear about your crash. i hope and i am lucky to not have had anything like this happen to me. definitely get to the doctor and get healed up all well and get back to your feet soon!
happy holidays.

thedude

Sep 10, 2011
San Francisco
Yep. Dunno what the guy was thinkin, flyin down a narrow one lane road the wrong way. He had to have seen me, I have lights, reflectors and shiny Schwinn emblems. My ankle isnt getting worse, so I'm assuming its not broken. The bike is ok, alot of little issues, bent rim, bent bicycle crank shaft, bent handlebars, and Im a lil concerned about problems that will develop in the engine. I smell oil sometimes when I ride, and when the engine is cold theres intermitent smoke in the exhaust. But its alright, live and learn. I'll take this as an opportunity to improve aspects that probly would have been left alone for some time to come, like adding a shift-kit when i replace the crank. Also if the engine is internally damaged, im thinking about just ordering a new engine and using this one as an expiriment to do my first complete tear down and rebuild of an engine.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
No, I mean you seriously decided to play chicken with a car, lost, and then complained about it? What did you think was going to happen?
I think thedude has made it abundantly clear that this was not a decision on his part, that according to him the car was going too fast, the wrong way down a one lane road, that he when he tried to get out of the way he clipped a fence;

Well I just had my first real incident with a car on my way home from work tonight, guess they didnt like me being on the side of the road and they ran me into a fence...
The guy was going the wrong way... and so we had a fun lil game of chicken, I pushed up against a fence, a lil to close and my handlebar got caught in the fence...
Dunno what the guy was thinkin, flyin down a narrow one lane road the wrong way...

mmmmudd

Dec 31, 2010
california
Glad to see your still in good enough shape to post Dude.
Surely this could have not happened at all, but it sounds like it could have gone really really wrong just as easily.

Peoples IQ really does drop when they get in a car. I don't think a person can get the full magnitude of that until they spend some time up on two wheels.

thedude

Sep 10, 2011
San Francisco
@BarelyAWake, thanks for the defense there, Cavi Mike only half read(if that) my post i think.

And for Cavi Mike, did you read the the whole thing? People don't usually willingly play dangerous games when they are automatically the loser. Do you seriously think I would willingly want to play chicken with a car? In a busy, large city such as San Francisco I did not expect to see a car going the wrong way down a narrow road that's cut in half by construction, one side has barricades and a 20foot trench, the other has an 8 foot chainlink fence, and somewhere behind me the bike lane due to space limits had become part of the traffic lane. From the direction i watched him go after i ended up a crumpled heep of fence, person, bike, I'm assuming he didn't want to go around to the opposing corner of the neighborhood and make a u-turn to not drive on the wrong side of the road. With that said, yes i could go find him, i know within a couple streets where he lives, and i could go kick his ass or call the cops and say look what he did, but am I a spiteful person, will i do that? No. I will take my lickings share my thoughts and brush my shoulder of the whole thing, as I have done with that incident and your oddball comment

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
sometimes im torn between wanting to be seen and becomeing a possible target or being invisble to these idots .

(on a side note this is my 100th post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

Last edited: