And why no "PUSHER" forum?

GoldenMotor.com

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
I myself have dedicated several years now to pushers and/or push trailer building and helping others with builds

A quick search of "pusher" brings many results here on the forum

Why not have a "PUSHER" sub-forum to bring focus to all who follow this, build them, need help building them, and finding info on them?

I have a few builds I can post to start it off!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's a thought, but TBH a somewhat trickier one than it may seem... We decided to roll with additional frame types/styles (due to frame type oversights) and components (to help with modification/fabrication/diagnostics) when we last expanded, with 2 & 4 stroke and electric as the primary motor style subforums - were we to separate pushers into their own section, it would only be fair to further expand into specific engine mount/location/type subforums (pusher/rack/in frame/chain/friction/etc.).

Add those to the number of subforums we already have... well, there were concerns regarding cluttered/busy homepage, general confusion and duplicate threads. In fact we got about an equal number of complaints as complements the last time we expanded lol

Still it's a possibility, we'll kick the idea around ;)

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
A quick search of tandems versus pushers here in the forum results in many more results for pushers...

A post in this forum asked for a sub-forum for tandems and it was obliged with a quick yes...

Why not create an area specific for a qualified following such as any other following here?

Respectfully asking...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The tandem example was scotto rightfully pointing out we'd forgotten that particular frame type when we expanded to include frame styles.

Currently, we don't have an "engine location" subforum, just the engine types under 'Bicycle Motor' (2 & 4 stroke) so again, were we to separate pushers into their own section, it would only be fair to further expand into specific engine mount/location/type subforums (pusher/rack/in frame/chain/friction/etc.) - of which none has their own specific area either.

Unlike frame styles & components, no ones even mentioned the desire until you made this suggestion, with most pusher builders posting here: DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle & again, expanding to include engine location/drive styles is a possibility, as is just a "pusher" section - but we do need to kick the idea around with the rest of the staff & get some feedback from other members.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'm presently considering a pusher build for my kid, who is an avid commuter on his MTB and does not want to give up it's utility for pedal use... He's young, strong, and energetic!
A clamp-on push trailer would be great for him.
He's already nixed a friction drive rack mount...
...and he's got a spiffy little Husqvarna chainsaw for motive power. :)
Best
rc

foundmydog

Oct 17, 2011
South Carolina, USA
I'm presently considering a pusher build for my kid, who is an avid commuter on his MTB and does not want to give up it's utility for pedal use... He's young, strong, and energetic!
A clamp-on push trailer would be great for him.
He's already nixed a friction drive rack mount...
...and he's got a spiffy little Husqvarna chainsaw for motive power. :)
Best
rc

If I could help in any way with info or pointers I have learned the hard way... let me know, be glad to help!

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Pusher bikes seem to fit in a legal zone. Because the motors are not mounted on the bike they fall completely outside the law. The police won't give them a second glance. As long as you don't break any basic laws your good to go.

It has got me to thinking of a gas/electric hybred using one of those little Harbor Freight 900 watt generators, batteries, and an electric drive motor.

I also have a GoPed motor, a 23 cc Mitsubishi, that would work as a pusher...on flat ground :)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle (non kit) seems like an appropriate forum really.
I agree, these is such a thing as just too many forums to pick where to post or search.
A good title for searching on should make them easy enough to find.

That said a father and son here in Phoenix opened a commercial MB store early this year, Redemption Bikes. they went under a couple of months ago but at the end there they were into those Push Drive Motors.

I didn't get a chance to ride one but I got a good look at them.
Two thumbs up for a motorized trailer you can just 'hitch up' and move you around like a bat out of **** with no laws for certain trips like long commuting.
Just un-hitch it for parking, storage, or just plain pedaling without extra weight.

In fact I can even see a trailer with some cargo space too for hauling stuff if it has brakes as a push drive.

What I can't see is me riding one as my main bike which is how I get around.
I know how I ride and where I go, the last thing I want to have to do is constantly account for a trailer when I turn or park, that would drive me crazy.

That and I like to feel the balance of the bike and the power direct to the road, I don't think I would feel very 'in control' with my drive force being applied at the seat post, I know first hand from many a bigger trailer hooked to a vehicle how it feels when they bounce out of control or you can't stop quick enough and you jackknife.

(shivers) Ya, bad memories, not from being hurt, no accidents at all, it was the sheer unadulterated fear I had riding them out I want to avoid, especially considering on a 4 wheel vehicle with a low hitch it just slides your ass end around. On a 2-wheeler with the hitch under your butt it's just as likely to throw you and the bike to the ground and then run over you, hahaha, or not ;-}

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Tnx dog, when I get a bit further along I will most definitely have many questions.

kc, my plans are to tag onto the pilot bike low, and forward of the rear axle.
probly abt where the chain tensioner is mounted for a chinagirl.
...gotta put on a sprung tensioner, anyway...

1st thing to do will be to weld a couple tabs onto the dropout stays so I can do a quick disconnect.
will need two controls. throttle and drive engagement, if I don't run a centrifical clutch on the motor. My plan is to only use it for longer distance straight line type trips, and keep the mab for maneuverability around town in the shopping centers and stuff.

I'm thinking to use it for testing a vert shaft briggs conversion to horz operation...

Best
rc

ok, anybody know how to initiate a poll ???

I would vote for a pusher sub-forum.
:)

Last edited:

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
Pusher bikes seem to fit in a legal zone. Because the motors are not mounted on the bike they fall completely outside the law. The police won't give them a second glance. As long as you don't break any basic laws your good to go.

With two MBs and a trike in the works, of course it would be insane to try and start yet another project. But that didn't stop me when I ran across an Adams Trail-A-Bike for $20 at a yard sale. For future development. :D

My plan is to register the pusher as the MB and mount the plate and lights on that. So my Diamondback will still just be a bicycle, with the Adams carrying the official DMV paperwork in case LAPD decided to scrutinize my creation. We'll see if it flies with John Law.

And yes, I think we need a dedicated pusher forum.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
kc, my plans are to tag onto the pilot bike low, and forward of the rear axle.
Sounds like a good plan.
You might want to look at that bolt on Trike kit for 2-wheelers, they have a spiffy rear hub system you might get some idea's from for mounting a hitch low in the back as you pretty much need the trailer hooked on back, which means above or behind the back tire, so axle height would seem to be best to me.

What might be really good is it put a strong bike rack with strong legs going to the hub, you could then attach a low back hitch with 4 mounts, one on the rack post and another on the hub on each side.

That would put the power where you expect it, right on the rear wheel.
You could make the 'power trailer' pretty short that way too I would think, but then I have towed tiny narrow wheel base trailers too and man do they get very swirly, but that is being towed, it would be a different story if it was powered I would think.

As for the throttle connection so you can un-hook it easy and ride without the trailer...
Hmmm, a pull cable quick disconnect, that could be an interesting thing to explore in itself don't ya think?

That is fun part with these things regardless of power train, even after a hundred years on man putting motors on bikes there seems to always be another better way.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Yeah, I'm thinking a dedicated Pusher section makes sense. If for nothing else, the 'Other' forum has one...
I'm building one now too.
-Lowracer-

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Believe it or not I have Just About decided to build a very low power pusher trailer to add to my exercise routine (HA HA). I walk at the mall. I ride my bike down hill to the bike trail then I ride the bike trail a couple of miles gasping for air all the way. Then to get home i either have to get off and walk the bike, or get my wife to come get me with the car.

Now with a pusher, I can ride the bike down hill pulling it along as a trailer. Get to the park, disconnect it. Then chain it to a post. Ride my two gagging miles, then reconnect it pedal a few turns and flip the electric switch. Then with that as the main power I can add a few pedals now and then to get up that hill. The perfect helper motor.

FireEater

Apr 16, 2012
Alberta Canada
Definitely my vote for a dedicated pusher forum! I am a newbie in the process of trying to design a pusher with no where to ask advice. Mind you, maybe that is good, fresh ideas???

DIYsteve

Mar 30, 2012
USA
Hey Rusty...check out my latest post in the "DIY Home Built Motorized Bicycle" area. Let me know if you have any questions.