730 miles - Am I crazy and will I make it?

GoldenMotor.com

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
It's a long story, but the short of it is that my regular SUV got abandoned in Georgia, just south of Valdosta. Because of this, I have had to postpone a new job that I was supposed to start and was decidedly going to return to work either on foot or riding a bicycle. But the gears began to spin and I really don't wish to try to save for another vehicle. It would just take me all winter and let's face it, it gets pretty cold riding a bicycle in the winter.

So, I quickly put the 2 stroke kit on my mountain bike, that I had bought for just such a thing. I had been without transportation the whole summer and thought that having a motorized bike would be a backup for if my vehicle ever broke down. I have to be independent and don't have alternatives to rely upon so this was my concept of a backup plan.

So I have decided to drive the motorized bike 730 miles towing a small trailer with my supplies. I have to replace the radiator in this vehicle and bring along the necessary tools and maybe a backpack with my own personal stuff.

The maps say it would take 3 days, however I know it should take more. (I don't think they accounted for sleeping)

Anyway, I wanted to hear from experienced builders and those who have put hours on their engines of what I could expect from the performance and longevity of the engine and chain drive.

Attachments

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
You should be able to make it if you take it easy. Cant say anything about performance as I dont know what size engine your running? Let us know how you do. Good luck.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I commend you for trying. Be prepared mentally, physically and financially. In this forum and the other one, there have been travelers who have logged hundreds and thousands of miles on the road. Some of them ran Happy Time engines, so I guess it's do-able.

How many miles have you ridden your MB so far? Have you worked out all the kinks on the bike yet?

Are there a lot of hills on the way, or is it strictly flat ground? If you average 18.75mph, it should take you less than 40 hours to get to your destination. That's four days riding 10 hours daily, or five days if you spend eight days on the road. At 100mpg towing a trailer, you'll make it there using less than eight gallons of gas.

I pray that you get there safely. I also pray that you're able to repair your vehicle, so you're able to drive it home. If not, be prepared to ride twice the distance, 1460 miles. Carry spare everything for the bike, like bicycle and motor chains, tire tubes. I'd bring along a spare engine, if I could afford it. There's also a foldable tire casing available, but it's kinda spendy. Are you staying at motels or pitching a tent? Maybe you can Google the route and find safe parks and rest stops to camp out at.

It would be nice if you could afford an expansion pipe and a shift kit. Your engine would run better and not strain itself as much, especially pulling a trailer.

Which town and state are you driving from? I imagine many of the members here would like to know, so we can see what you're up against.

Don't you have any friends or family that can help you tow your SUV back, or give you a ride there? You can make it there within 24 hours of nonstop driving.

Maybe you can post your mailing address here. I'd be willing to send you a few dollars for gas money or whatever.

What an adventure! How old are you? I would love to be able to ride long distance, and I know my bike and Tanaka 47R engine would be up to the task. It might take me 30 hours, traveling at an average speed of 24mph.

Wishful thinking (sigh):-||

Good luck and plan well.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I pray that Happy time holds up. Do as 5-7 heaven said and you'll be ok. Like he said, map out the route and post it on here so it any members on the route your taking, they could ride with ya. God speed and God bless. :)

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Sounds like a challenge for sure! You are welcome to spend a night at my place east of Atlanta. I would avoid Atlanta at all cost! If you bypass to the east, its easy to pick up backroads to South Ga from here. Might even ride aways with you. You will have a lot of hills to deal with. I would gear on the low side. I often ride 100mi round trips on a bike that averages 25mph, be surprised how "far" a 100 miles is on an MB. My best long distance method is 1hr on the bike 15min off, seems to work better, atleast for me, than riding long miles/time at a setting. 200mi/day would be a real accomplishment.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I recommend Campbells Chunky soups. Very filling, and great hot, edible cold if you just have to! Trail mix goes a long way to curb hunger but keep your focus. Never rode a MB 700 miles, lol, but I've done some charity rides of 100mi on "10speeds" and I was surprised how much food I could eat!

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
Well my plans changed and it was probably for a good reason. I did get to break in the engine riding to and fro around my area and the bike probably would not have made it. There were several technical difficulties, the main one being the rear engine mount bracket came loose and disappeared during the ride, the idler bearing or bracket seems to periodically work it's way loose no matter how tight I tighten it. Other than those two things, it seems to run fine. I had a problem mounting the engine in rubber as it always wanted to torque itself sideways a bit and caused the chain to rub against the frame next to the wheel.

The solutions to all this at the present has been, I eliminated all the M6 studs that mount the engine to the frame, drilled them larger and retapped them for a 5/16-18 stud. The nuts were then replaced with locking nuts that have a nylon ring inside of it. This adds remendous stability to the engine. As for the idler, I am still looking at a solution after I get the engine back together. I broke a ring getting in a hurry and had to order a new one. Should be back in business this week though. It's fun as **** to ride. Plus upon tearing the motor down, I flattened the cylinder head and mating surfaces where I could see the head gasket wasn't sealing all that well. I think it should perform a lot better, especially as it heats up. It really gains power after the engine warms up after 10-20 minutes.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I noticed that about my Grubee. I used to ride it 2 miles to work, and spent 1 mile just warming it up lol. I'd go for rides after work and after about 10 minutes, it would pull a lot harder and was more fun.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I have seen lots of people weld on arms for the idler wheel, or mount it and drill a small hole through it for a bolt. The best fix I've seen yet was a flat-bar mounted to the seat and chain stay with rubber coated conduit clamps. Then it can't rotate at all and looks like it was made that way.