Gear mounting solution!

GoldenMotor.com

Sambino

May 12, 2011
Washington (USA)
There are two common ways of mounting your gear to your wheel. One is the 9 hole through the spoke method, and the other is mounting it to where a disk brake would be. The benefit of the 9-hole is that you don't have clearance issues with the frame, and the benefit of the disk brake mount is no possibility of spoke damage and that it doesn't need to be adjusted to make it run parallel with the wheel.

I recently switched out my hub so that I could mount my gear via the disk brake. I immediately realized that my bike did not have enough clearance for the gear, let alone the wheel. I already had both a 36 tooth gear and the stock 44 sitting around. So I did some hard work with my hack saw, and put this together.

I cut all the teeth (and a lot more) off of the 44, leaving the disk brake connectors and the 9 hole connectors. I cut the center out of the 36, leaving the teeth and the 9 hole. I then connected the two gears together with the 9 hole, and then used the disk brake connector to connect it to the hub. I also used the pieces that go on the inside of the wheel that the 9 hole bolts to for extra spacing (washers could be used instead).

My disk brake hub is a 4 hole, not a 6 hole, so there are some extra hole lying around.

I also painted my bike this weekend, Photos to come soon.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us