chain saw 2 the sequel

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Chainsaw 2 has morphed into this bike...

I gave up on the full suspension and moved the front wheel drive engine to it.

I test rode the both today. The chainsaw 2 needs some getting used to but I can tell it will be a really good ride.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am going to ride the chainsaw 42 all day today. I took it out for a couple of miles this morning. Two things i learned. The sandpaper glued to the knarly peg will not stay on.

I also learned that I am a coward at some things. I have been a soldier and a cop but when I was younger I hasten to add. I have done a lot of foolish things in my life. I rode a small motorcycle, that would only do about twenty miles an hour up hill and fly like a dive bomber going down hill, for five hundred miles. So I'm not a total wimp or at least I didn't used to be.

I took the 42cc chainsaw bike out today and it litterally scared the devil out of me at 1/4 throttle when on the flats. I am going to take it onto a new stretch of flat road this morning and see if I can get it up a little more.

I can honestly say 31 or 33 cc is plenty for me on a bike. Those of you who love speed the 42cc should do just fine for you. However it ain't much on hills. There is only a certain amount that friction drive will do going up a hill. The up hill is just about even for the 33 and the 42 bikes.

I would add that the 31cc weed whacker is pretty much a draw on the hills as well. I can however run it at full throttle on the flats. The 33cc chainsaw has a little more flat push I think. I can't tell for sure because they are set up a little differently. The 31cc WW pushes a 26" wheel front wheel and the 33cc CS pushes a 20" rear wheel. I would call it a draw between them in most things.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I rode on a long flat and it would take a lot of miles to open this bugger up. It gains speed very slowly, but it does keep accelerating it seems.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay an update on this 42cc engine bike. I reset the clutch with a new stronger lever. One without any flex. When I adjusted the hand clutch cable to allow the engine to almost touch the tire when pulled, the tension on the tire increased when the clutch was out. It's a little tricky but the increase in tension is what the bike needed.

The skip is completely gone now. The bike will go wot up hill now and not slip. It will run on the flat wide open without flying apart. At least that is how it seemed on the two mile test ride. I will give it some more testing tomorrow.

The lack of tension might also account for the wear of the jb weld and sand mixture somehow. I have no way to know about that yet.

So if you can get hold of a 42cc engine it will work just fine after all. Sorry for the bad information but nobody else is testing them to verify what I report.

At least if it start going screwy I know something is wrong now because I have ridden the bike under really good conditions.

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
wow sounds like your finaly gonna have a work horse that can take the hills. but how did she compare to the ryobi's

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Not much better to be honest. The ryobi take a little pedaling on one hill and this on climbs it without pedaling but it slows down. On most of the others it just seems to climb while pulling.

I think the problem with both my chainsaw bikes was the clutch lever flexing. The new levers don't. I'm gonna try the 33cc tomorrow and see if it is better.

I should ride the ryobi I need the exercise to be honest lol.

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
your tellin me, im loosin weight just cleasning up the bikes i have, and i still havent motorized one yet :(

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I lost about sixty pounds before I began the bike thing, but I stopped dieting. Since I started to ride, I have not put any of it back on. That was over a year ago. I think it has to do with the exercise such as it is, but also staying active again. The bikes keep me away from the refrigerator not just keep me moving around.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
yeah i've lost a little weight since I've started this thing- mainly because I'm active now. Not just riding the bikes but also working on them etc. And you right D it keeps ya the h3ll out of the fridge. I was sick all last week, but even though I spent a lot of time sleeping I didn't gain the weight back.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Between the rain I managed to ride the 42 bike a bit. I wanted to do it while the results of the 33cc is fresh on my mind. I can't form a conclusion just yet. There was a high speed skip on the tire. I have full pressure and the new clutch drop rod so the slight amount of skip might be the drive wheel.

The drive wheel is a knarly axle peg. I have decided to cover it with the JB/sand concoction. I am going to do it in three coats then let it cure tomorrow. I will ride one of the other bikes while it gets ready for the next test ride.

Actually I think there might be a little bit of skip on the 33 bike as well when I try to accelerate too fast. Could be just need to accelerate more evenly. I am sure of one thing both bikes are plenty fast now. But then so is the 33cc ryobi.

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
what if you built off the mount something to hold the peg from the other side aswell, then you wouldnt have to worrie aboutadding more pressure to the peg should allow you to spring load it a little so that its resting on the tire with sightly better pressure preferably something with a berring on the other side of the peg to allow free spin

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
It is fun to see the evolution of this stuff. I thought the Gorilla glue would be indestructible, I guess not. I still have the roller covered with the sanding belt, held on with contact cement. The friction bike I made using the GoPed engine has a 1/2 roller and it is still on there, I just need to get a finer belt. I did put a slot across the roller and put a slight fold at the beginning to insert in the slot to keep the belt from having an edge to peal off. Have fun, Dave

PS: I wrapped the roller with cord after I got the belt on to keep it tight till the glue set.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It stayed on the smooth drive wheel better. The last time I tried it It didn't make it a chainsaw engine, it didn't make it a mile, but then too the engine skipped. I don't know I tried so many things I forget the exact conditions of each trial. I should keep a real diary of this stuff so I know the exactly circumstances of each trial.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I tried the gorilla glue and sand just now... Im gonna let it cure over night then ride it tomorrow to see what it did if anything.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
How do you deal with the foaming action? I love the clean up after glue dries. Use a chisel or scraper or sand paper, they left out explosives. LOL. Have fun, Dave

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just let it wear off took about two minutes... lol.

However today I found out something that I knew in my heart all along but did not want to admit. The clutch lever from a brake lever on the handle bars is causing 90% of my skip problem. I took the 42 bike loose and found I had to cut back on the tension to make it run.

It climbs the first hill like garbage but after it get up the speed just a little it roars in a good way for a change. The reason the first hill is garbage is that I have to start almost from a dead stop and it is pretty steep. The are working on the road. Once they finish that project it shouldn't be any problem.