Source of new clutch pads

GoldenMotor.com
So I apparantly didn't adjust the clutch nut/plate on my newest motor and have worn the clutch pads out. I have the clutch nut all the way in, the bike occasionally starts, but will not engage the motor.

Problem is I can't find the trapazoid clutch pads anywhere except gasbikes. I would prefer to stay away from GB, but can't find anyone else who has them in stock.

Does anyone know of a source for the pads?

Alternatively, a cent clutch would be acceptable. If I used the cent clutch with the regular one, I won't need the pull start correct?

Last edited:
First, he hasn't said he is actually selling the pads yet.

Second, a cent clutch can be used without a pull starter, the manual clutch is still needed to bump start however. Check here.

I did find them on rawmotors, but the email I sent bounced back as undeliverable. Still need a reliable source of pads.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
That's the best link I have in regards to quality pucks.
I removed a cent. clutch from my engine because the damned thing would not pedal start.
It has a spring on it that supposedly acted like a one way starter device, but it never worked no matter which way it was installed.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I am still in the testing stages of the Ultra High Density pads and probably wont be offering them the public for another month or more. So far they feel real good and grab and hold well with no dust or shavings in the clutch cover area. I will know more when I tear it down in another week or so.

I know Robert at Piston Bikes has the stock pads on hand or did at least last week when I ordered a couple of extra sets to have on hand for emergencies. It is one of the reasons I began this project because I hate the stock pads...

Last edited:
I appreciate the link. I'm just frustrated so please don't take it personally.

I looked into getting a cent clutch, but I would still need to replace the clutch pads for the cent clutch to work.

I would love to get a working cent clutch for cheap, but I don't think many people would just give me a cent clutch if I paid shipping lol.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I am not a centrifugal clutch fan for the china girls. From what I have seen of friends and read they are too problematic.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
call them 800 361 5755... Piston Bikes doesn't have a lot of stuff online they stock. I think they are so bus\y they dont have time to photo it and get it up.. I think I paid $5 by USPS....

No I dont have the machining yield per sq/ft and cost per sq/ft from the water jet guys yet.

Let me get some more miles on these before I get others to try them. I am going to run some test pucks thru the WJ in a week or so and might release a few sets for others to test with at a cheap price since I didnt have to pay for the sample material. I am going to try out 1/4" thick first and then some 5/16" thick and see if the clutches will handle them.

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
If Robert is out of pucks let me know and I can probably send you one of the spare sets I have.

When you talk to them you might want to ask him about the modified clutch assemblies he carries that are done by Manic Mechanic that have the stainless bearings in them instead of the cheap china bearings. I think they are around $30 bucks but I really like mine. He has both the square puck version and the round one that are modified.