dave and goat are you dialed in

GoldenMotor.com

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Goat Thanks
Your a awsome guy and all of this I really appreciate..So thanks
Not trying to be lazy but its nice to have a good understanding of the carb Which you do and a good base line to start with. this should really cut down jetting time. If I can do anything for you please let me know. I have a pretty good metal fab shop. I owe you ...
Flex...
If you need something welded or fabricated. It's My pleasure...............
Shoot me a Email and I can give you my phone # When the time comes..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Thanks boss. I don't always know what I am doing lol. Its been about a week and lots of reading and trying stuff . I will always link anything that is pretty kewl and helpful when I come across it. That's just the spirit of things. Forgot to mention I got a leaner atomizer that I will run with a richer jet coming as well. I am gonna find out what that changes soon enough. I just don't know till I try some of this stuff lol.

I got to talk to Hermie at Welcome to Herdan Corp.! he is a great guy to reach when he is not to busy. Got to pick his brain on the carby was very nice and helpful! A very Kewl old man to talk to! He mentioned that the Ultra Lights were switching to different atomizers at roughly 6000 feet.

Stock was a 262 AU gonna try the next size down [leaner] a 260 with a #90 main jet keeping the w9 needle. This should be very interesting for me! Its gonna change the progression of the whole circuit and prolly score me my 500/600 rpm idle I was hoping for finally?

This link shows a chart on the carb's overall progression circuit.
http://www.poliniusa.com/pdf/manual/X1.pdf

This one shows a float adjustment chart.

http://www.morinispecial.it/manuali/dellorto_motorcycle_carburetor_tuning_guide.pdf

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am totally tuned in! How about the rest of you guy's? dance1dnut

The rest of my jets came in from Treatlandtv. I am at so far and liking it! It idles soo sweeet now! #83 main jet W9 needle [second notch] 260AU [leaner] atomizer #40 pilot, #30 slide.

The leaner 260AU atomizer was the problem solver winning ticket in all this mess.. The carbs progression circuit is not bad at all.

Taco can be happy to hear nuttun drilled or soldered on it at the moment lol.:) laff
The only thing I have left to do is monitor the main jet size for a few and I am done. It was loading up noticeable a bit and 4 stroking with the #90 at second notch. I drove this thing for about three miles blowing it out. Monitoring engine temp. Let it cool completely and rechecked.

The best Idle I got was 800 according to my tach if the bike is warmed up or not. Pretty solid the motor is not cold blooded at all. I can let this thing Idle at a light or what ever and it does not load up at all whatsoever now any more.

All in all pretty good at this altitude with a big carb I think anyway!
Well the restrictive air filter arrangement was my safe zone for a while. I thought long and hard about needles and main jets last night. Checked my air filter nylon arrangement this morning. I had 5 layers on took it down to 2 gotta have some protection from these massive desert dirt storms. That's all I did.. Rode it around blew it out some got it up to temp. PERFECTION!

The 11 tooth from 10 tooth slowed my take off just a smiggin but my last carb adjustment made up for it. A really short stretch of street from around the house that I would leap to 35 on I now leap to 40 and a lot quicker!

There is a part at full throttle where max throttle gives no more but a smiggin less than max throttle it maxes out in better words I am in my safe zone with the main jet now.

From here How To Tune PHBG Carburetors - MopedWiki : From here:

SO when tuning the main jet make sure to be at WOT, or you are not getting an accurate main jet reading. Start big and work your way down. If the bike is slower at WOT than at 3/4 throttle, the main is still too big. When you are really close to the perfect #, the bike will be the same speed or only slightly faster at 7/8 throttle than at WOT. This is your safe zone, be very careful when down jetting past this point.

I started up the bike a few times last night checking the idle from cold it was great! Made one observation that is not any kind of a big deal tho except to say I think its perfect!! If the motor is started and stopped a few times cold [playing around with it] it will load up rich and blow white smoke a bunch, minutely 4 stroke around idle and a 1/4 throttle blip. If started up and gingerly warmed up and used normally its absolutely flawless.

No more carb play I is done!!!! Where I am riding is an easy 6000 feet. Hope this helps some one else at my altitude one day..

While I must admit this was my first Dellorto carb jetting experience with this type of carb. I freaking totally love these carbs now they are Killer! Dellorto's are so tunable and all the parts are out there!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I did not have to do anything, my was good from the get go as well as Alex with his 9.4.

I would like to race my BoXer in Mexico this July and the elevation is a bit different and I am sure I will have to lean it a bit for there.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
What elevation in Mexico? You guy's are at roughly 3000 feet there? Funny about my 5.8 I never did any jetting to it I ran it at 42 to one. My Boxer I am running it at 50 to one now.

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey Goat
Just back for a few days .and the new fork and swing arm came got the swing arm on now I have a few other issues.I have to go gack to northern cal today.
will call you when I get back....Flex

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey Goat
just installed the new fork much smoother and I got it adjusted about the same as the rear now when I jump up and down the frame stays flat.
also got the rear brake working sweet . waiting for a spacer deans making me for front axel . Then it should handle and stop great now .for the motor
Once its broken it will beable to start leaning it out some mixing at 32 to 1 will change to 50 to 1 then start adjusting main needle . If I cant get it close will start playing with the jets. And if I need more power will play with pipe
I am thinking with a proper pipe set up should gain a couple the banjo style may be great for sound but not for power I think stinger in middle of pipe not great and routing thru the frame small to big to small not geat for HP.it needs a smoothe transision small to big to small with a med diamiter and med lenghth
stinger. I would guess with the proper pipe you would see the 9.4 hp.
also changed the chain tensioners to motorcycle style insteed of the clam shell looking thing.that hits the rear caliper so it's useless .. When its done it's going to be a screemer. Also making a tank for it .the tank on it now only gets me about 20 mi. not enough for me as I like to ride 30 to 40 mi minimum
I would love to get at least 50 mi per tank.........Flex..........What kind of oil are you guys using brand and ratio please........

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The Nydi guy doing the wheelies type deal had a lot higher compression head and a 21mm carb.. I am thinking when you see how loud that bike is with a different pipe you might be disappointed? My BoXer compared to my other bike is night and day noise wise. I think you can get your 9.4 out of that thing your at sea level and all. It took about 350 miles for my bike to start loosing up its not bad clutch is doing perfect!

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
Well I just got schooled on pipes .So it doesnt mater where the pipe exits
All of the sonic tunning happens in the pipe if is tuned right .So it doesnt matter where it exits. Once it exits if not totally restricted should not effect
the tunning as the tunning has already happened within the pipe..
So my mistake on earlier post......I have to admit I havent been around
high performance 2 smokes in quite a few years like 25 alot of changes in
technology but tunning princables are the same and always will be..
Boy I am really dating myself yes I am over 50..Have been around bikes for a long time. Although last experience was a 4 stroke . A yamaha R1 set up for big willow..............Flex............