Need tons of info

GoldenMotor.com

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
Hello, I have 7 bikes "yes, I have the bug" and now its time to upgrade to the morini, I know I need to fab all the mounts and all, but lets say I get a motor from pirate, that gets me the motor and comes with the carb, how many other parts can I use from a chinagirl kit, will the throttle,gas tank,work? how about cdi? how does that work on a morini, and how about exaust, where do I get an exaust for the morini or is it pretty simple to fab one up yourself?

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
you can use the throttle assembly and cable and tank from the kit, can use the rag joint and sprocket too if you want. the morini comes with a coil and cdi. mounts and a pipe need to be fabed. read through the threads in this morini section to see what others have done. good luck, and hold on.

mechsmoto

Mar 18, 2011
miami
yea... camlifter said it perfect!!! the coil and cdi will come with the motor... and you can use the throttle, tank, and ragjoint(id personally replacedall three>> because my china tank leaked(so i used an old oil reserviour for a scooter... strapped it on behind the seat and covered it so it just appears to be floating there... easy and cheap..) the throttle... china girls are generic, and the one(ktm 1/4 pull from franco morini usa)that i have is poorly contructed as well... id suggest trying to find one from "domino">> pirate sells it but, i dont know his price... i use domino in all my scooter builds and their grips are awesome... the ragjoint will sooner or later tear apart your back wheel as its only pullin on half of the spokes instead of the whole wheel... that has different fixes.. (moped hubs, manic mechanic adapter, and i think kings motor bikes has a "pineapple sprocket adapter" that is similar to manics.. but, if you use either of those be SURE TO MEASURE YOUR REAR HUB... IF ITS OFF JUST A LIL>>> FORGET IT... the rear wheel was a huge mission for me.. as i had to search all of miami bicycle shops digging through boxes and boxes of hubs to finally find one and ONLY ONE hub that fit the "modus' size adapter from manic... Soooo, take your time on the wheel... i believe alot of the reliability of the setup will come from the integrity of the rear wheel, sprocket, and chain alignment.... the china girls are only 2.75hp(and thats still not written on any dyno chart IVE seen)... the morini goes up to 9.4 (a/c).... thats a heck of a lot of power for a rag joint!!!lol!!! The exhaust??? I took camlifters approach... as the pic he posted on my thread of his bike is nothing short of SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope this helps... take care.. and good luck!!!

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
talk with Sportscarpat here on the forum. he would probably sell you a bare Morini mount kit. you'd have to weld them in, but these are premium grade stainless mounts, the proper solution to mounting.

As for hubs, if you go with fixed gear, I suggest you go direct to std moped hardware. They have bolt-on sprockets with the proper offset, and they have big drum brakes. Thats what I run, and it is the ideal solution. I roll with a 45 tooth sprocket, nice all around setup.

Sportscarpat has lots of threads on how we've setup our Morini builds, but that is just one way to skin a cat, lots of other directions to go...

Rich

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
Itchybird-
Those do look like top of the line mounts. After looking at those pictures I foresee two potential problems. First off, seeing the engine on a bike made me realize that it’s larger than I thought and I might not have enough clearance above the pedals and under the cross bar. And secondly it’s an aluminum frame which I guess is going to be tricky welding steel mounts to it.

Man. :( I just had just spent 2 hours staring at the bike and justifying to myself dropping that kind of cash on an engine was the right decision. The bike is a brand new Cadillac Fleetwood Cruiser with the Nuvini hub that I plan on running with a jack shaft. I am going to have to call Pirate cycles to get some measurements. Thanks.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
The motors are wide, it's a problem but it can be overcome. Lots of guys mount their engines high, I mounted mine low and bent out a crank that clears. That problem was solved for under 10 bucks. I also had to use a tiny sprocket, but again that was a simple solution.

Mounts can be a hassle, you can't weld Pat's mounts to an aluminum frame, but some of the other folks here have come up with some clever solutions to solving that problem to.

These are nice little motors, but they're not simple bolt ins. Manage to get one built though, and you'll be a happy camper.