Morini Break In

GoldenMotor.com

jg767

May 28, 2008
The factory doesn't specifically recommend 50/1 for break in. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has broken one in, the 5.8 or 9.4. But I certainly don't want to bother the "elite" with my seemingly trivial questions!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I would say about 30 to one non-synthetic. Most folks will agree with that. A quick view in the 5.8/9.4 Morini's exhaust port will show a very nice and aggressive cross hatch. So it is arguable that its not as cruet-ail perhaps as one might think to have a non-synthetic at break in.. The big Idea about break in is properly seating the piston rings. I went with 40 to one on one of mine with Amsoil on my last motor from the start.. Besides having a case of Amsoil to use up. I am hankering on something different.

The number one rule of 2 smokes is the plug chop. The color of a spark plug tells all about the tuning. This being said I think it is comical and even cruel and unusual punishment to a motor like this to simple assume that 50 to one with what ever oil has it tuned right.

My previous said set up put me at a perfect Chocolate tanish color a little on the tan side.

I know folks here that run them at 35 to one with Golden Spectra. Bottom line is the plug chop.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
People forget about checking the plug nowadays. I must have checked mine 5 times in the first few months I owned my bike :)

jg767

May 28, 2008
Thanks for the replies, guys. Good idea about checking the plug. I'll start off with 32/1 non synthetic and keep an eye on the plug. I still have 3 1/2 gallons of Lucas semi synthetic. I put 18000 miles on my Tanaka 40 with it and it still runs like new. The plug has a nice tan color. ls614, Thanks for the links, very nice.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
My personal opinion for a morini since they are a high quality, high performance, motorcycle engine, is that after break in you should run 50:1 using a motorcycle oil like klotz, Lucas, Amsoil, or something like that.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I always use a petroleum based oil 30:1 for break ins because synthetics will not allow the rings to seat properly. The quickest way is to spray WD40 into the cylinder and run the motor. This will seat the rings right away.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
It's a racing secret that many mechanics have been doing for years. The most important part of breaking in your motor is seating the ring. When you're dealing with a single ring piston and need to change it out between heats, you need to make sure the ring seats or your losing power as well as the race. I've done this on my Polinis, Zenoahs and BZMs and I haven't ruined a single crank.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i run synthetic in all my 2 strokes right from the start, and for break in, china girls too. my s6s broke in just fine on synth.
most of the people who break in there china girls with 16 or 20-1 dyno soon have a thread named (crap my bike only does 22 mph)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
What about after break in? 50:1? Anybody running Opti 100:1 through these monsters yet?
I just spent hours researching my Amsoil Dominator. 100 to one oil does not belong in a hot rod two stroke engine in my opinion. From reading my Dominator brand was formulated for modified high performance 2 strokes @ 50 to 1. I think it boils down to having a thicker oil film. I am thinking mebbe to use my Dominator up with a secrete experimental additive another type 100 to one oil. just a tiny bit of it added in mostly gonna have the dominator percentage wise. I am not fessing to wut yet still making up my mind.;) I was after friction modifiers in synthetics. This was after hours of reading that gave me my cocktail. still thinking about it so dunno? This will be my proposed long term get up.

One thing I got from my reading tho was the film strength means something on a hot rod.

I am going to run my new s6s motor just a tad rich [fuel] around 35/40 to one oil .