Riding for a drink of water

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Riding for a drink of water

By Kyle Martin
The Augusta Chronicle

Will Adams and Alex Taylor already have plenty of adventure stories, from hitchhiking the East Coast to getting stranded in suburban Tokyo.

But that was just the start.

In late spring next year, Adams, Taylor and another friend, Matt Riley, expect to embark on a 15,000-mile trek from Anchorage, Alaska, to the southernmost tip of Argentina.

The journey will be made on motorized bicycles and is intended to bring awareness about a lack of clean drinking water around the world.

Both men acknowledge it's an ambitious undertaking, but they embrace the danger and the risk.

"We'll run into some hairy situations and obstacles," Adams said. "That's the challenge of it."

Read more... Riding for a drink of water | The Augusta Chronicle

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Wreck delays bicycle adventure
By Kyle Martin

Traveling on a motorized bike from Alaska to Argentina carries all kinds of inherent dangers, from paramilitary forces in Colombia to Mexican bandits.

But Will Adams has always been more concerned about other drivers.

"You can't talk your way out of wreck," he said Tuesday.

His worst fears came true last week when he collided with a car that pulled out in front of him on Jackson Road. He was able to tuck and roll at the last minute over the hood of the car, but he tore a ligament in his knee and suffered some nasty cuts and scratches

The bike, which was going about 30 mph at the time, was also smashed in the wreck.

The trip is in limbo for now until Adams' doctor decides in two weeks whether surgery will be needed to fix his knee.

"Everything depends on how it heals," Adams said.

Read more... Wreck delays bicycle adventure | The Augusta Chronicle

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
cool story :)
Thanks !!! ;)

he might be a member at the 'other' place...I seem to recall a bunch of questions someone was asking about doing a NA to SA ride for charity,,,I can't remember where I read them,,,I read a lot at too many bike/motorizedbike/electric places

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I would like to know there route, maybe I can join them at least to the border or something. Be cool for members to join them on a ride through there town.

I think its a great cause and I wish them the best of luck, its gonna be one heck of a adventure.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If their route brings them through Denver I'd ride a few miles with them. Might even call channel 9 news. I have a freind there. Maybe they'd cover it as a human interest story.
Tom

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That's heartwarming! I wish them all the best. I would probably have chosen a Robin Subaru too. Good engines! Are they doing a friction set up? That's an ambitious undertaking for a trans-continental trek!

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
I know I'd want a super comfortable seat and front suspension. What an adventure...
SB
And a large Winnebago with some one carrying a big game rifle to help out with the bears in Alaska at least. Dang bears can run about 30 mph for short distances. Or may be friend whose bike is slower than mine......

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
And a large Winnebago with some one carrying a big game rifle to help out with the bears in Alaska at least. Dang bears can run about 30 mph for short distances. Or may be friend whose bike is slower than mine......
Its always best in that situation to out run you buddy.:D

thirstybike

Jan 11, 2010
Augusta, Ga
Thanks guys! Sorry I haven't been on in a while, I've had two knee surgerys to replace the five ligaments that where severed when I got hit. We should be leaving next May now. David Stanton is helping us with the expedition builds, 35cc Subaru Robin with a crank shift kit on a 3G bike Newport frame with a forward crank, disc brakes and super wide tires. We will also be pulling two wheeled trailers for gear. Thanks for the support guys, this made my day! Check out the expedition website at allthewayaround.net

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks guys! Sorry I haven't been on in a while, I've had two knee surgerys to replace the five ligaments that where severed when I got hit. We should be leaving next May now. David Stanton is helping us with the expedition builds, 35cc Subaru Robin with a crank shift kit on a 3G bike Newport frame with a forward crank, disc brakes and super wide tires. We will also be pulling two wheeled trailers for gear. Thanks for the support guys, this made my day! Check out the expedition website at allthewayaround.net
Thank You for updating us, I think its really cool what you guys are doing. Was hoping you guys were coming through Tucson to at least meet you and hoping to ride a short distance with you guys.

Please keep us posted we are very interested in hearing the progress of your trip.

And Thanks for the link....All the Way Around

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Will,
Sorry to see your route will bypass Denver Colorado. We could have put together a few riders who would have enjoyed motoring with you for a few miles.
Best of luck and please keep us informed of your progress.
Tom