How do you remove this crank arm?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Does anyone know how to remove this crank arm? I want to maintenance my crank and I guess before I can I'll need to remove the crank arm. It looks like some kind of special nut with a keyhole in it.

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
My moutain bike has something similar on it. I just went outside and stuck a flat blade screwdriver in it and popped it off, it's just a dust cover of sorts on my bike. There is a regular bolt under the cover.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My moutain bike has something similar on it. I just went outside and stuck a flat blade screwdriver in it and popped it off, it's just a dust cover of sorts on my bike. There is a regular bolt under the cover.
I'll have to check it out. I didn't even know it was just a dust cover. I've never worked on a bicycle crank before.

I just looked at some youtubes about removing crank arms. They all said it was a dust cover too. I guess I need to buy a puller tool too.

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
Mine wasn't threaded. I literally stuck in a flat head screwdriver in it and popped it right out, only held in by friction. Yours may differ.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
next bike my neighbor has ,,,plastic dust cover and nut under the decorator cap

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You guys got it right. I discovered I have a plastic cap covering the bolt on the crank arm, I pulled it off and now I can see the crank.

I checked the motor tool but it doesn't fit my crank arm. The small end of the tool is too small, and the big end is too big. I think I need a 14mm crank arm tool.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Now that my bike has the rear wheel up in the air I can feel there's something wrong with my crank. It's very notchy when I turn the crank arm. I think a bearing has failed. It wasn't like this before.

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina
u might need a new or a good used set of bearings there. man if ya was closer i would give ya a set i have just laying around in my ole parts box lol came off a wreck bike i found awhile back. had a good crankset on it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
u might need a new or a good used set of bearings there. man if ya was closer i would give ya a set i have just laying around in my ole parts box lol came off a wreck bike i found awhile back. had a good crankset on it.
I appreciate that. New ones don't cost much anyway though.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I got the crank apart mostly. Only the RH race is still in the frame. What I found was little or no grease and water in the crank. Some jackass washed it to death in only 4 months. I like my bike to be clean damnit.

I've decided to convert the crank over to sealed bearings. I bought a 122-68 sealed bearing cartridge at REI for $10.

Now I need the special tool to install it.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Yes , you will need to either purchase a Shimano BB Tool or take the frame/bike to the local bike shop Park Tools http://www.parktool.com/category/bottom-bracket are usually reasonably priced. They probably even have them at the REI where you bought the BB.

ocscully

Attachments

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yes , you will need to either purchase a Shimano BB Tool or take the frame/bike to the local bike shop Park Tools http://www.parktool.com/category/bottom-bracket are usually reasonably priced. They probably even have them at the REI where you bought the BB.

ocscully
Thanks, I can use all the help.

I bought a BB 22 at REI that will install the new bearing cartridge.

Before I can do that I need to remove the stock RH bearing race and REI didn't sell that tool. This is what it looks like. A 6 splined socket removes it. I'm going to have to find one.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
You might try using a good punch and a hammer? You are aware that the cup has left hand threads? If you have no intention of ever using it again It appears to me that you might also be able to get enough bite on it with a pipe wrench.

ocscully

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You might try using a good punch and a hammer? You are aware that the cup has left hand threads? If you have no intention of ever using it again It appears to me that you might also be able to get enough bite on it with a pipe wrench.

ocscully
I'm not really aware of much except I've been trying to unscrew it for a few hours now and so far it hasn't budged. I'm trying to turn the top of it toward the rear of the bike. It's the one on the right side you know?

I tried a big pipe wrench. The metal the race is made of seems so hard, the pipe wrench won't get a bite on it.

I also tried a hammer and drift at moderate force. So far it didn't budge. I got a bigger hammer in my Harley hammer set that I havent tried yet.

I noticed that a 22mm bolt head fits in there with about 1mm so spare. That gives me some ideas.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
maybe a piece of flat steel across the center like a big screw-driver and a cresent wrench(I know ,They are susposed to be called adjustable wrenches)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
maybe a piece of flat steel across the center like a big screw-driver and a cresent wrench(I know ,They are susposed to be called adjustable wrenches)
I couldn't find a piece big enough last night. I'll be making a run to the hardware store in a little while.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The right side cup needs to turned clockwise to loosen it. You are just making it tighter the direction you are turning it. Left hand threads, clockwise to loosen. Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary Bo--Bz Here is a link to lots of info on bottom brackets. See the chart below the first row of photos. The English ISO is what you are dealing with.

ocscully

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
when I clicked on shelden b . site and adjusdable cup ,,it says the right one is buttomed tight and the left adjusts