Running w/o stock exhaust bracket?

GoldenMotor.com

FlyingSchwinn

Oct 5, 2010
Oregon
I broke the 20 guage POS exhaust bracket that came with my China kit in the first five minutes of breaking the motor in and it seems to me that there is a lot of vibration off the tail end of the pipe. Has anyone had a problem running without a bracket, say cracks around the exhaust studs or worse?

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i ran my exaust the first time with out a bracket i stared at it for a while then looked at my bike and said now where the **** does this thing go well after the muffler vibrating apart i figured it out

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Of you want to run with one, use a little imagination and some duct strap, or just about any thin metal strip to make one.

Having said that, I have never had an exhaust fall off or apart.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
why dont you make your own it would be east just find thin shinny flat bar and bend it to shape of muffler by wrapping it around pipe make sure to have extra length for a tab to work as a clamp then find the ennght you want bend the other end to the shap of bike tibe

you could find a peice of aluminum that is soft enough to bend and strong enough not to brake for a few dollars at lowes or home depot and after you would have scrap to use in diffeereint project like creating light mounts or a rear rack or fender braces

FlyingSchwinn

Oct 5, 2010
Oregon
After some thought, if you mount the bracket from the frame to the exhaust then you will only put the vibration somewhere else like at the studs. The proper way to do it, if you wanted to would be to mount into the engine case because the two vibrate at the same frequency. I have threadlock and a pretty beefy exhaust port (must have built it on a good day) so I will take my chances.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I didn't use the bracket and have had no problems in 2 months and about 250 miles.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
I don't use the bracket either, But I use MUCH lighter then stock mufflers, And I don't run my bike over speedbumps or curbs (fast anyway)

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
No bracket on mine, no probs with 300 miles of driving too fast on the cobbly French Quater streets.

Wayne Z