Questions

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
This is a serious need to know question...

I have the chainsaw bike ready to test ride but the darn drive wheel keeps working loose. Will Locktite red hold the drive wheel on even if the engine tries to spin it loose. If not give me some ideas short of welding. I'm thinking maybe jbweld on the threads.

Neighbor is supposed to be making me a smaller drive wheel so I'm not going to be doing it to this wheel but I sure would like to know.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Maybe drill and tap the drive wheel and insert a set-screw?

JB-Weld would do the trick, but you'll never get it off. Red Locktite...not sure if it'd be strong enough to withstand the motor...it's pretty tough stuff though, might as well give it a shot.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yeah thats why Im waiting for my neighbor to get the smaller wheel to me. I also remembered that I had to use a hammer to knock that clutch bolt loose. I had the clutch nut welded to the drive wheel that I am using but it is 1 1/2 inches. I want to go with 1 inch. Im also going to try a 1/2 ID galvanized pipe on the 31cc. I think it will be about 3/4 od.

I can only go wot on hills since the bike scares the devil out of me wot on the flat or down hill. I might get used to it but I doubt it. that being the case I might as well get all the hill climbing help I can.

handy_Biker

Jul 23, 2008
I've been using a lock washer and some ' locktite' kind of stuff from Harbor freight.. $2 instead of 5 or 6 without any issues but then I'm only runnong a 25cc at this time.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If the engine turns against the nut's thread I'm not sure the size of the engine matters too much.

I actually am not sure I have a lock washer on it to be honest. The shaft has all these shoulders built into it. I am about ready to shoot the darn thing but I think I would probably go to jail for it. The guy who shot the lawn mower did.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So after all the bike explosions I am down to my chain bike, the chainsaw bike, and the 25cc I finally took time to make start. I switch out the on off carb for one with a throttle. Problem is I need to adjust the carb and it doesn't have those cute little screws. It has some kind of lugs. I'm pretty sure they are not covers but they could be.

The question is,,,,,,,"Is there some special tool for the smaller carbs. The 31cc just has those regular screws once you get the cover off.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay anyone this is a question for you. On the adjuster screws for the weed eater carbs, (Not the idle.... the needle adjustment screws) which way leans it out.

I readjusted the chainsaw bike and it runs great but it is gulping gasoline. Do I turn them in or out to lean the mixture.

Of course I might also be weeping gas around the openings in the tank for the gas lines. I rerouted them through the top but the tank is so shallow it still might be weeping.

Question two.... those of you who are using jbweld and sand. How long does it last before it wears down to the metal.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So here is an easy question for you guys.

Has anyone used super glue as a thread locker. I used it for the demo bike because I just didn't want to pay six bucks for a tube of loctite to turn around and undo later.

I know that tractor supply has some stuff cheaper but I would have to drive fifteen miles one way to buy it so not much of a savings these days. those are miserable miles so on the bike it wouldn't be worth it anyway.

Super glue is half a buck a tube if you buy the two pack, so how about it. Does it lock the threads or not.

Update on the red loctite on the chain saw drive wheel. It does work and I was able to change the wheels as well. Takes a little doing but you can break it loose with a little more effort.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ah it's online i just found it. Thanks if the super glue fails me I will give it a try. Is a much better price than loctite.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Ha Ha!! I just bought one each of Loctite Blue, Red, and Sleeve retainer, each bottle contains 1.25 fluid oz. for a total of 13 dollars!!!!!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The loctite red I bought was $6 for 1 1/4 oz... Heck at that price it should cure ED... It does come in a little blue tube.