Brushless motor as gen for lights?

GoldenMotor.com

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I was test riding by moonlight and thought I could use some light. I have one of those hand operated flashlights and opened it up looking for ideas when I got this one. I have a small brushless motor which I'm thinking I could rewind and rebuild to provide power to a small light blub. The hand flashlight has the windings outside the rotating magnet which got me thinking I could install the magnets on the brushless so 1/2 of them are mounted positive and other 1/2 negative, not alternating. The windings on the stator could be 1/2 for + and other 1/2 -, no alternating only 2 outputs. Would this be the best way to wind it and mount the magnets so the output is more useable for power?

The brushless motor is a small outrunner type. I'll need a way to drive it, but an outrunner looks like a wheel and maybe a sprocket on the chain or tire driven.

Whatcha think?

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
That hand powered flashlight is my best bet. It's so similar to the engine's magneto setup, so I am going to see if I can mount these windings inside the magneto case on opposite side of the motor's wiring.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Nice idea!

I abandoned the generator route about a month after I first posted here. I found myself in shocktrauma unit fighting for my life. No, wasnt a bike that put me there. I'm still recovering, but when I ride again...

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I hope that you get well enough that lighting can become important again!

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Shock trauma?!!! That is crazy. Don't go around electricity for a while your nervous system can't handle it.

Let us know how you're doing. I'm sure you don't want to go into too many details, but I'm sure the rest of the board would love to cheer for your recovery too.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Shock trauma?!!! That is crazy. Don't go around electricity for a while your nervous system can't handle it.

Let us know how you're doing. I'm sure you don't want to go into too many details, but I'm sure the rest of the board would love to cheer for your recovery too.
No, it aint crazy. Shock Trama is an approach to emergency care for the most critically wounded. Without it, I'd have gone to the light. Here's a link to a typical shock trauma unit:

Crozer-Keystone Health System

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Well, that's nothing like what I was picturing, but it's still a remarkable story I'm sure. I imagine having specific people to thank for keeping you alive must be quite the experience. Near death experiences are almost always life changing, but you can't learn anything from the experience if you don't survive.