several suggestions...

GoldenMotor.com

tire

Sep 29, 2010
College Station, TX
first of all, admin/mods if i come off harsh it's because that's how i am. i have trouble not improving something if i see room for said improvement.

i've moderated a few tech/social sites for cars and been members of a few more. this site only has about 20 users on at peak times (the guests are mostly bots, i assure you) and doesn't neccessitate so so many forums... about 5 or 6 tech (and have them kept as ONLY technical discussion, no socializing) and a few for social things like pics/vids, lounge, suggestions. keeping a small amount of forums will clear the muddy waters (my impression) and provide continuity and promote unity.

and this vbulletin is like 10 years old... ridiculous restrictions for upload limits and quantity of the same file... which is something i remember around the year 2000. vbulletin is free or nearly free, or it used to be... am i wrong? this site has some potential (experienced members) but needs some work IMO.

cheers.

austin

tire

Sep 29, 2010
College Station, TX
revision... i think about 8 tech forums are needed and about 4 social/other forums.

and a well defined lounge for people to congregate and keep a social interest in the site.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i don't even look at each individual forum. just click "quick links" up top, then "today's posts." then i read the ones that i want. this site could have hundreds of sub-forums, and it wouldn't bother me at all.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
You're overlooking a few details - not least of which what azbill mentioned lol

This site is growing by leaps and bounds, slowing only during the off seasons such as fall and winter and while requested by members the additional subforums were also provided to help "clear the muddy waters" you complain of. With so many new members joining all the time it was becoming exponentially more and more difficult for members to find the information they're looking for, it was in fact somewhat chaotic. These subforums are also quite new, we only recently added & populated them by moving existing threads - which may have given the false impression of infrequent use. We do suffer a bit from duplicate threads, those members that in their haste don't use the native or custom google search engines, but we've decided to not curtail that as often it's the newer members seeking help - and that's one of our primary interests, helping the new member as much as we're able. Actually I believe the addition of specific subforums has greatly reduced the number of redundant new threads by providing an obvious source for the answers they seek.

"...and have them kept as ONLY technical discussion, no socializing"

That goes against the general wishes of the administration concerning this forum and actually what I personally think forums are for - general socialization. While it's true some forums enforce a strict "on topic" policy and in some ways that does provide some benefit, not only are we loathe to be that strict here - in my personal opinion I've realized it not only drives away the new member perhaps unfamiliar with general forum etiquette, it actually also hinders far more than helps in the long run, which of course depends entirely what you're after.

If your a non-bot guest (of which I assure you are more common than you think) after nothing but information to read & leave or you're a member wishing to display your work & little more, such enforcement does in fact serve to keep the topics "pure" - yet I've noticed if free to converse & discuss whatever tangent they're interested in, oftentimes far more information is provided that just what was outlined in the OP - not to mention "provide(ing) continuity and promote(ing) unity" by not restricting aspects of social interaction. We strive to provide a far more relaxed atmosphere here, welcoming to the newcomer and with as few rules as possible: http://motorbicycling.com/f21/please-read-these-simple-rules-2.html and while we do ask that topics & discussion be at least somewhat bicycle related as we are a motorized bicycle forum after all, pretty much the only "taboo" subjects are of course the nefarious 'Politics & Religion' - to be avoided at all costs lol

Which brings us to vBulletin which is yet again personal preference, while the company itself has been around for at least ten years, I assure you the software has undergone a bit of revision since then lol and is in fact one of the most popular forum platforms, particularly for sites more interested in content than glamor. Actually with it's near infinite number of plugins and user-defined modifications we're able to provide as much "glitz & glam" as other platforms yet choose not to as such frivolousness only negatively impacts load times. If anything the stark simplicity allows us to focus on the truly important - content, while also providing unprecedented software stability.

The aforementioned restrictions are in fact in place not as a limitation of the software, but to reduce server load and page load times for our members BTW as again, vBulletin is almost infinitely customizable.

Yet you're right - this site does need some work and hopefully always will as any site undergoing such growth will need constant revision and tweaking. In fact our administration works on this site on a near daily basis, while much of it obviously goes unnoticed by the memberbase save the most profound changes like the addition of subforums, the staff is constantly working to provide the best platform possible for our members and their projects, based on our observations as well as viable suggestions from members.

If this site was static, limited in growth and members your suggestions and observations would be accurate and appropriate so I thank you for them, fortunately it's quite the opposite and as such we've a whole different slew of issues to contend with, of which I'm quite happy to report are relatively minor and have actually mostly resolved with the addition of said subforums ;)

Last edited:

tire

Sep 29, 2010
College Station, TX
I believe that I didn't convey one of my points very well. To be clear, I am suggesting that the technical forums (motor/electrical/paint/whatever) should be "purist" to allow knowledge seekers to more quickly trade ideas and information without wading through pages of smiley faces from personal conversations. I know that I would get annoyed when I was knee-deep in tech discussion and a kid would start posting random things and lengthen the thread for no reason.

However, anything should go (except rudeness and coarse language) in the social subforums. Or maybe that was how you read what I wrote after all, I just wanted to make sure.

And I was wrong on your numbers... I saw about 20-25 at 8pm which is traditionally a peak online time, and then I saw about 40 or 50 at 10 or 11 pm... odd, but I was wrong, with that many the site could support more forums (IMO).

One vbulletin annoyance is that the upload size for photos is very small and you can't post the same picture twice in another thread. There were a few other things I noticed but I've forgetten them right now.

Oh, and thanks for the lengthy reply, and I'll be around this site off and on for probably the duration of my bike's life. Motor kit comes today, so that's always fun. Just trying to help that site.

Austin

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I hope you'll get around to sharing new bike building ideas with us,and become part of our great membership