Help, dust cap, sprocket disaster.

GoldenMotor.com

Barfly

May 2, 2010
Boise, ID
A couple weeks ago I purchased a new rear wheel.
When I remounted the sprocket I noticed the dust cap was beveled on the edges, and had no true edge to hold the sprocket in place.

So, I thought I would attempt it anyways.
I centered the sprocket, and slowly tightened the bolts in a circular pattern, all the while taking measurement to make sure it was going to center.

I thought it worked, ran great for a couple weeks, the chain clearance on the tire was so small that I knew it was definitely centered.

Then a couple days ago I was starting my bike to pull out of a parking lot.
The chain came off and got all messed up wrapping around the sprocket.
The sprocket was now way off center, and I am lucky this happened when I was going slow.

What I need to know is, how do I fix this dust cap problem?
I have one for my old rear wheel that centers, but it is not wide enough to fully cover the new wheel.
I have thought of maybe gorilla glueing it on the new one,
How to insure it is truly centered during glueing would still be a question.

Also my chain has a couple links that are definitely toast, maybe more, some of it is salvageable.
Anyone know the size of these chains, and the easiest/cheapest way at fixing?

Wow, that is a long post, hope it makes sense.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Barfly

May 2, 2010
Boise, ID
Got the chain off and that is done for.
Thinking of trying to find some of the #41 tractor chain that seems to be an upgrade over the bike chains.....anybody here tried this?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Yes and I highly recommend using #41 chain.

The MOST important thing to think about when installing your sprocket, if it doesn't clear the dust cap odds are it's not going to clear the bearing race on the hub and if it doesn't clear the race you're putting a lot of extra stress on the hub.

Tractor Supply has #41 chain, it's right around $16 for 12'.

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
If thats $16 for a foot, your over payin. I just replaced mine and it cost me $25 for 5 feet of #41 with a master link. BIt was well worth it, well made and looks bad ass

Barfly

May 2, 2010
Boise, ID
Yes and I highly recommend using #41 chain.

The MOST important thing to think about when installing your sprocket, if it doesn't clear the dust cap odds are it's not going to clear the bearing race on the hub and if it doesn't clear the race you're putting a lot of extra stress on the hub.
So, with a wide hub on this new wheel I bought,
I have to machine the inside of the sprocket and make it wider?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Depends, set the sprocket on the wheel without any of the rag joints, does it fit over the hub and sit right against the spoke flange?

If yes then you're set, if no you're going to have to enlarge the hole until it does because even though it looks ok with the rag joints in once you get everything tight the sprocket is going to be right up against the flange.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If thats $16 for a foot, your over payin. I just replaced mine and it cost me $25 for 5 feet of #41 with a master link. BIt was well worth it, well made and looks bad ass
Looks like you are the one who got ripped off.. the TSC chain is about 15 dollars for 12 FEET.

jawbreaker

Jun 30, 2010
vancouver, B.C.Canada
A couple weeks ago I purchased a new rear wheel.
When I remounted the sprocket I noticed the dust cap was beveled on the edges, and had no true edge to hold the sprocket in place.

So, I thought I would attempt it anyways.
I centered the sprocket, and slowly tightened the bolts in a circular pattern, all the while taking measurement to make sure it was going to center.

I thought it worked, ran great for a couple weeks, the chain clearance on the tire was so small that I knew it was definitely centered.

Then a couple days ago I was starting my bike to pull out of a parking lot.
The chain came off and got all messed up wrapping around the sprocket.
The sprocket was now way off center, and I am lucky this happened when I was going slow.

What I need to know is, how do I fix this dust cap problem?
I have one for my old rear wheel that centers, but it is not wide enough to fully cover the new wheel.
I have thought of maybe gorilla glueing it on the new one,
How to insure it is truly centered during glueing would still be a question.

Also my chain has a couple links that are definitely toast, maybe more, some of it is salvageable.
Anyone know the size of these chains, and the easiest/cheapest way at fixing?

Wow, that is a long post, hope it makes sense.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

it may not be a good idea but I stuff fiberglass beteewn the ruber pads after I center the sprocket with out tigthen it all the way. then tightern it more after the fiber glass harder. The sprocket will never move again .but as long as i don't need a new wheel I am OK

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Just to be clear to people mounting sprockets on coaster brake wheels with dust caps... The sprocket CANNOT TOUCH THE DUST CAP!! The dust cap does not spin with the wheel. If the sprocket touches the dust cap?, you must trim the edge of the cap off to clear the sprocket.

Also, the best way I have found to center the sprocket is to spin the wheel & watch the tips of the teeth as the sprocket spins, & then adjust it before (& during) tightening of the bolts.