Replacing Hoot Gearbox

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
That is the exact samr box that comes with the BGF kit cet the BGF one has a longer output shaft to keep the engine centered between the pedals.

It has a single row #25 chain. I don;t expect it to last long woth chainlube or grease, so I modified mine to run woth oil bath.

The box that DAX sells is built with stronger casing and uses double row chain.
I thinjk the g-4 is better than the others, for longer reliable service. That,s the box I'll get if my chainbox wears out too soon

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The eBay link is the identical unit that Dax sells
It has a double row chain
Yes, the quality is not that great
That is the exact samr box that comes with the BGF kit cet the BGF one has a longer output shaft to keep the engine centered between the pedals.

It has a single row #25 chain. I don;t expect it to last long woth chainlube or grease, so I modified mine to run woth oil bath.

The box that DAX sells is built with stronger casing and uses double row chain.
I thinjk the g-4 is better than the others, for longer reliable service. That,s the box I'll get if my chainbox wears out too soon

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
This looks like the same box that Dax has, EXCEPT:

Duane has a ten-toothed sprocket that fits his box, Duane has a one-year warranty on his box, and, I can't call this ebay seller up on a Saturday afternoon (no speekie Chinese, I'm not saying that the seller is, but there's a darn-good chance) and get advice from someone who has 30 years in the business.

EZM has a new 2-speed gearbox in the works, and it's a double-chain box.

I figure I might get away with Duane's box for a few months while saving for an EZM gearbox. I've emailed both Bill and Duane to get advice. Bill said I would have to get at least a 56T sprocket for an EZM gearbox to work for me. Duane said I would get 35-40 MPH with a 40T sprocket (That came today, good job Piston). My fat whizzer tank came today too, it's very cool..wee.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I wouldn't try the 40 tooth . Mine came with a 48 tooth and it is WAY overgeard at around 14.5-1.

I can hold 42 mph at 1/2 throttle , full throttle doesn't increase mph from there. The lil motor just doesnt have enough power to rev any higher at that ratio.

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Pirate Cycles has a 56T sprocket that'll work with the Manic Mechanic hub adapter, that's what I'll run with. The adapter and sprocket that came yesterday are masterpieces. Jim does excellent work.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Pirate Cycles has a 56T sprocket that'll work with the Manic Mechanic hub adapter, that's what I'll run with. The adapter and sprocket that came yesterday are masterpieces. Jim does excellent work.
I changed my 48 to the 56 yesterday. Top speed is just as I expected, about the same at around 40mph (Hall windspeed indicator)
It gats that speed a lot faster, and can climb moderate hills easily now.
Still feels a little tall geared so I use a few pedal strokes from a level dead stop.

Did 2nd oil change,2hrs run time(hard). Still a lotta aluminum in the oil.

Chainbox oil didn't show much metal but smelled and looked burnt.

Gotta check, oil prolly getting into clutch compartment thru chainbox bearing seals.
Might try a drain hole in the clutch compartment and better bearing with better seals, Prolly not seals but just sheilded bearings in there.

DSC_1408.JPG

DSC_1409.JPG