• will it run awesome?

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA
Re: liquid cooled ht

After all that welding is the bore anywhere near still round or will you have to bore and resleeve it? What are you going to use for a radiator? A heater core maybe?

Jim

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

it didnt get any hotter than a running engine does. I welded it 2 inches at a time and took awile the bore is round still yes =. I am using a pocket bike radiator

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com

Really cool project Taco!!!

Don't forget to put some sort of thermostat in the system.

jauguston:

To answer your previous question about the benefits of liquid cooling...

Liquid cooling provides a much more uniform and controllable method of heat dissipation.

With air cooling there is always the potential for hot spots.

Jim

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA

Jim,

And it is your belief that the folks that designed this little engine didn't take that into consideration and the lack of water cooling is the reason they blow up all the time?????

Jim

BTW- Where is the head you and then your wife later promised me months ago???

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Jim,

And it is your belief that the folks that designed this little engine didn't take that into consideration and the lack of water cooling is the reason they blow up all the time?????

Jim

BTW- Where is the head you and then your wife later promised me months ago???
o_O

TBH I don't think they took much into consideration when they "designed" these lil engines lol, yet still they don't seem to "blow up all the time" ...for me anyway ;)

*puts mod hat on*

...and I gotta say, if ya wanna discuss product delivery (or lack thereof) with one of our vendors, it'd prolly be better to call him, send a PM or email, and/or even make a post in http://motorbicycling.com/f3/find-dealer-review-1730.html instead of here in someone else's thread as that kinda thing tends to derail the topic quite badly.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

Jim i am working on a thermostat prob 1 off a honda cbr1000 it's the radiator cap and stat in 1 I am just gonna use a heater core as the radiator it was a great idea jauguston. I can aquire 1 at the junk yard 3 streets over from me and prob the cheapest way out. I am so stoked on this project now i just need my crank pully and I'll be in biz

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

What you may want to do is grab some auto parts store ads, I see specials in them quite often that read "Heater core sale! Priced from $10". Just go in and say "I want the $10 heater core". :D

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA

How is the project coming...? I was going to water cool mine by just wrapping the jug with copper tubing and using a radiator from a liquid cooled computer system (Had a fan built in) to cool it down.. only problem is the pump is only rated for 145 deg. So that kinda stopped me. I would like to see this thing work! Good luck!

-Griff
xct2

jauguston

May 1, 2010
Bellingham, WA

Griff,

The copper tube idea has a problem. The area of the tube that is actually in contact with the aluminum of the fins is very small. The thermal transfer of heat will be minimal. You might actually find your engine running hotter because the copper tubes will block any air flow. give it a lot of thought before you go to all the trouble of doing it.

Jim

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

Yes Joe, I recieved my radiator yesterday and just need to order the pump and radiator filler neck. this project is part of my puma build and prob wont be done for atleast another month. I know how some people are impatiant but it will happen soon dont worry guys whether it works or not it will def be done soon.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

finished boxing it just need to grind it up nice and weld in the nipples for the hoses
Don't forget to use the full cooling capacity of the cylinder head.....fill it up to the brim with ice cold water!laff

On a serious note, it looks good and should work just fine with the right pump. Keep it coming!

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

hahah im gonna beat the liviving snot outta that thing.. it takes about 2 hrs to wrap a new jug!

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

Don't forget to use the full cooling capacity of the cylinder head.....fill it up to the brim with ice cold water!laff
Yea, like the old water cooled hit and miss engines, just be sure to take corners at full speed to keep it from sloshing out! :D