Morini Clutch Repair Video

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well there are some things different to our Morini's we are all commonly running here. Such as S6 - E 3hp, S6 - T 5.8 hp, S6 - S 9.4 hp, and S6 - C 11.3 hp. All the complete stock clutches as far as I know are totally interchange able with these engines. Some of the bells will not cross over well with some of the clutches.

The Clutch you see them using a puller. Theirs is a taper press fit. Ours is splines , and can be gently removed with out a puller.

The nut in the video is righty tighty lefty loosy. The nut to remove on ours is right hand too loosen and left to tighten.

Common jargon for spring washer configuration at other forums is like this (( )) (( )) (( )) ( ) / for washer stack orders. / = a flat washer ( = a spring washer.

Here is a good link Martin & Slater :: Clutch Information

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Dean I would not mind a bit if you want to clean up this sticky? Please do!

The sight about spring stacks is misleading..... They are setting up the spring stacks too tight?

Quoting Lean Dean! / / ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Now the three shoe is a sweet clutch if adjusted properly which is real easy, you can drop the RPMs by 7to 800 by just removing the .005 shim.You should have Two .oo5 and one .010 which should set the stall at the desired RPM.( remember these engines come from the land of Ferrari and Ducatti)
When changing the shims in the 3 shoe I plug the breather hole and lay the bike on its side then remove the clutch it's alot quicker this way and you don't have to drain the oil every time you make a adjustment.

Last edited:

Lean Dean

Jan 10, 2008
From what I can see from the video this engine is completely different than what we're using.Seeing from the kickstart gear and the right hand thread on the crank this engine is running counter clockwise which means the're using a much larger exhaust port.Running a engine in reverse keeps the load off the exhaust side of the piston on the powerstroke.I wouldn't use these videos as a referance for the S6, but I've been wrong before.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I must admeant being the washer stack they are using is different , engine in reverse. It will probably stir up two much controversy. It does show that the stack needs maintained. The screw diver trick [Be careful where you put it]. and stirs us up a good sticky for the masses.:D

Kevlarr Our clutches will not work with that puller. They do not require a puller. Our clutches are sitting on a splined shaft.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I too purchased a new Morini S6S 9.4HP motor, and full throttle would barely move the bike. But adjustments are easy, and in less than an hour, you can get your machine to behave as it should.

Steps as follows
1. Drain the oil (small phillips screw at the base of the cover) and remove the side cover off with 5mm allen wrench -leave the kickstart lever on, do not remove it.
2. Remove the clutch nut with 19 mm wrench, Note: it has reverse threads. Either use a piston stop to hold the clutch, or slip a small phillips screw drive thru the hub (it has small holes at edge of the drum -peek between the shoes and you'll see 'em) and into the large drive gear. Once you have it braced, remove the 19 mm nut.
3. After the nut is removed, you should be able to wiggle the clutch off the end of the shaft -you don't need a puller.
4. Wipe off the clutch real well, and remove each of the three clutch shoes using 4 mm allen, be careful to make sure the washers stay on the bolts (makes it easier) and make sure you get all the flat washers out of the hole too.
5. Adjust stack height. I used {}{}{}{}{}/ (using thinest flat washer) for a stack height of 0.455 inches -yours maybe different, but this should get you close. I measured each stack to ensure they were the same. A dial caliper works great for this. If you don't have one, buy one, its an important item in any tool box.
6. Reinstall the three shoes -be sure to use lock-tite! Tighten the bolt till it bottoms. Don't be surprised if the shoes will not clamp firmly to the hub, mine had about 0.040 inches of play. Fear not.
7. Reinstall the clutch nut -again use lock-tite (remember, reverse threads).
8. Reinstall the cover -just re-use the gasket.
9. Fill with MTL 75 wt transmission lube (says 'wet clutch approved') available at your favorite motorcycle shop.
10. Take your bike for a ride that will amaze.

If it still slips too much, take it down another 0.005. If it hooks up too much, add 0.005. You'll find you can dial in very well and if its not exactly right, don't settle. Make another adjustment.

I had the cover off probably 6 times to settle into my setting -mostly because I made many small adjustments, each time slowly reducing the stack height until I had it just right. The bike was absolutely transformed and 0.455 was the best for me. I took another 0.010 out of it today, and I went just a bit too far, the bike rides great, but it hooks up a little too early so it's harder to start as the clutch grabs just off idle, so tomorrow, I will add the 0.010 back in and be done with it.

Once adjusted, the Morini is as tame as the little China motors, don't let anyone tell you that these motors can not be made to behave, I can ride my bike as slow and easy I like.

The first time might take you an hour, but after a couple of times, you can get it to about a half hour.

Happy riding!

Rich

A nice right up!!!!!!!(^)

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
hey goat, i was wondering if you could answer a question for me? do you know what size, rating or any thing about the morini s6-e 3.2hp clutch springs. i need to get a lighter pair for the two shoe clutch in mine. its a new build and i need a cut back in the rpm ranging. i need to get see if anyone would know. i called around and did`nt get very far. the springs i need to get the clutch to engage sooner. any idea`s or anything would be a great help. thanks, wez

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
These images are from Morini USA the first is the lighter springs. Morini Franco USA

Or call Hermie at Herdan Welcome to Herdan Corp.! he is a great guy to talk to if'n he's not swamped busy. None the less a great guy to talk to for a second! I think they run a restaurant too? Dunno?

But look at your springs and how thick the coil ribs are should be able to tell.

Last edited:

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
talked to him today. said he did`nt know what other spring you could use. the factory installed spring is suppose to be the lightest available. after thought i will save some cheddar up and order up the three shoe along with the hi-pro reed valve. thanks and ride on!