Hard time cranking when cold.....

GoldenMotor.com

tony wag

Jul 1, 2010
Florida
I have a 49cc Wildfire, lately I have been having a hard time cranking it when it is cold. Once I get it running it is fine and starts right back up. Any suggestions on whats going on with it?

Thanks, Tony
:-||

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am assuming that a wildfire is a Chinese 2-stroke.
Have you tried different choke settings when starting it cold?
Some like full choke, some like 1/2 choke, some like no choke at all, some like a weird position in between.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I currently have 4, 2 stroke engines on 4 seperate bikes. Every one is different as far as cold starting is concerned. One likes full choke and a little tickle. One wants half choke, no tickle, the other two will start with no choke at all and no tickle but one starts immediately and the other wants a few feet of pedaling. Go figure. I've switched carbs but the engine seems to dictate what it needs for a cold start irrespective of what carburetor is on it. They all have the same plugs, plug wires and all run on 100:1 Opti 2 oil. Weird little buggers, aren't they? It just takes time and a little experience to find out what your particular engine requires for cold starts. Good luck.

Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It's like they say above, you just have to find the best way to sweet-tallk her into starting up on the frosty mornings. (Remember, your bike doesn't like rolling out into the cold like that any better than you do, so be gentle.) Mine - she likes it hot. I can get her going when its cold, but until she warms up a bit, she makes no pretense of enjoyment.