c-clip and air intake

GoldenMotor.com

ex-28

May 23, 2010
winnipeg, Manitoba
hi all , just had a couple Q's

finished my 1st build few days ago , i am running Norco Scrambler bike , Limited Edition ZB 80cc Black Slant Engine Kit with Racing Carburetor from zoom. 44 Tooth sprocket and NGK BR4HS plug

i am at 3/4 of a tank used on my breakin useing 16:1
a user on another forum commented that my carb isnt sitting level and he said he thought it should be and asked if i changed my float's c-clip at all , i wasnt aware this had to be level when i installed and i havent played with my c-clip at all yet .

its running pretty smooth but i do wish i had a little more power off tthe line from a dead stop.
her is pictures of my bike please note sciunce the picks i have made changes to the carb lines.

http://members.shaw.ca/Uniden/temp/Bike/After1.JPG

http://members.shaw.ca/Uniden/temp/Bike/After2.JPG

so i have 3 Questions hoping i can get soem info on this.

Q#1 would moving my c-clip in the float and adjusting my air/gas screw help me with more power off the line ?

Q#2 is my carb setup right ? ,please see pic attached :)

Q#3 is the the right spark plug to use ? NGK BR4HS i was thinking on going to a NGK BP6Hs after my break in , i know the one i am useing is a resistive plug so i not really sure on this.

thank you so much to all who make this forum what it is and enjoying a great hobby !

Attachments

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
You'll need a coupla posts before yer allowed to post links, we do this to help fend of the evil spam ;)

Try it again :D

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Q#1 would moving my c-clip in the float and adjusting my air/gas screw help me with more power off the line ?
Perhaps, but the fuel/air mix should only be adjusted for proper burn, using the spark plug electrode's color as a guide - black & oily & it's too rich, gray/white & it's too lean (air/fuel screw out for leaner, in for richer). However - I gotta say 16:1 fuel/oil is too heavy a mix even for break in so that would effect it too. I'd recommend a quality 2-stroke oil @ 32:1.

You may need to adjust float height because of the angle of your carb - but this is done by gently bending the float mount tab a lil, the "c-clip" is actually on the needle & slide, that's used to make major changes to the air/fuel mix. If your bike isn't spewing fuel all over the place as it just sits there not running or starving for fuel at WOT & high RPM - then the float height is fine, the angle of the carb is acceptable and the CNS is pretty close to being the right fuel/air mix with the needle clip - so yer most likely fine and can make all the adjustment (for fuel/air) with just the adjustment screw.

Q#2 is my carb setup right ? ,please see pic attached :)
Yep - 'cept yer fuel filter looks to be upside down ;) See this thread for more info: http://motorbicycling.com/f4/love-cns-carb-20155.html

Q#3 is the the right spark plug to use ? NGK BR4HS i was thinking on going to a NGK BP6Hs after my break in , i know the one i am useing is a resistive plug so i not really sure on this.
Resistor plugs are fine, but only really needed if you're trying to run a digital speedometer as the interference tends to make 'em all screwy - most folks run the NGK B6HS (BR6HS for resistor plug).

Sweet ride BTW ;)

Last edited:

ex-28

May 23, 2010
winnipeg, Manitoba
ok 16:1 was reccomended by others on the zoom thread as well as manual , but i do have a bit of extra oil on the end of my plug and bottom of the exaust pipe if i remove the cover , so i will fix that up , for the fuel filter in mine is has a small round magnet at 1 end which i have it on the end closest to the carb , not sure if thats correct or if it should be at the top ? , i will pickup a new NGK B6HS and give that a shot also ! , thanks so much for the info really appreciate it !

on and the right side tube where you arrow is pointing, i should jsut cap that off totally ? , remove the line and place a cap on the end of it or somthing tx agian

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
16:1 is in some kit instructions, the theory being it's for using motor oil for the lack of commonly available quality 2-stroke oil o'er there... but that's a guess. It's still too much oil in any case given the quality premix available.

Pretty sure the filter is upside down, but I could be wrong (magnet ones are uncommon but cool), there should be a lil arrow on it somewhere, that arrow is flow direction, not "this side up" - a common mistake ;)

Last edited:

ex-28

May 23, 2010
winnipeg, Manitoba
ok sounds great , really appreciate it , as this is all new to me :) got shop bringin in the b6hs for me in a couple hrs will prob pick them up and try that as well , tx again

ex-28

May 23, 2010
winnipeg, Manitoba
ok i tried plugging the tube with my finger as i was wot when i did it just started slowing down like crazzy , so i tried the one beside it , same thing , it kept making the engine slow down and down and down , so not sure why or howcome.....

also the line at the bottom of carb thats connected to the ones with barbs on it i had a bit of fuel in there like it was tryin to suk it towards the side with barbs , i took that line off and pluged it it made no difference if that line was on or off , so i guess i should leave it on ? even tho it was starting to fill with fuel ?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A vacuum leak will cause a higher than normal idle/slow return to idle so that's expected - the lil tube under the float bowl is the overflow and the lil one on the top/other side is an auxiliary fitting most likely for oil injection - connected together as they are when you get it new (pink tube) it's possible that it's trying to suck fuel from the overflow...

I don't think that matters much, but I ran my overflow towards the seatpost tube and down so the rare drip or two doesn't make a mess...