Building 74 Schwinn EZ-Bike

GoldenMotor.com

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi guys, A customer/friend needed a good bike to use for transportation, and of course I suggested the latest version of EZM.s Q-matic. So he sent me pics of bikes he had available to him for a personal bike (he intends to sell Motor Bicycles from his shop using his as a model). After I passed on a Tandem, 10 speed, and an old MTB he came up with this balloon 74 Schwinn, stripped, and rode hard and put away wet too many times, he brings this fine specimen to me.

I politely refused to strip, sand and paint it, instead building it as is.

This should turn out to be a fun build, a good looking bike.

Mike

Attachments

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi guys, yes City, it does take parts! I ran into a problem, I assembled (loosely) and found the chain to be dragging on the left chainstay......been there before? I sure have but the good news is I have a rather easy fix!
Be sure that your rear wheel has a nice long axle. You will see before, during and after below.

Mike

Attachments

RusticoRay

Oct 3, 2009
6mi. from the Old North Bridge
Hi guys, yes City, it does take parts! I ran into a problem, I assembled (loosely) and found the chain to be dragging on the left chainstay......been there before? I sure have but the good news is I have a rather easy fix!
Be sure that your rear wheel has a nice long axle. You will see before, during and after below.

Mike
I too have had a chainstay issue on a Schwinn Typhoon after a little thought, very little, I came up with the PT 4 x 4 method worked like a chunk of wood and a sled hammer should. I also used a ratchet strap to bring it back.
Post some pics of progress.

Attachments

Hi Ray,

Sure like the idea of using a big hammer [LOL]. I can see how using the ratchet strap would re-shape the frame. I am wondering if the 4" X 4" could be secured to the seat down tube with 2 additional ratchet straps to hold it in place and then tighten the rear strap to bend the arms?

Have fun,