Cargo, Trailers, Sidecars, and Miscellaneous subforum.

GoldenMotor.com

Long Haul Trucker

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo, Ohio
I am thinking of building a trailer 24" w X 30" long out of 1" PVC pipe with 20" bike front wheels. With homemade hitch attached to the seat post. Does anyone have any ideas how I can test for weight limits? I also found a camping cot/tent for about $125 so I could make a camper would use small C clamps to hold cot/tent to trailer for a ride of 150 miles ( one way ) I am planning for labor day weekend.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I actually built a trailer like that. It probably is around somewhere. What I had to do to stiffen the frame was to put joints in every foot or so I never did use it much. I just wanted to see if I could build one like that. If you support both sides of the wheel I expect you can put almost anything on it. An outrigger prevents the wheel from splaying and putting stress on the frame.

Long Haul Trucker

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo, Ohio
I have decided to build it and make it 24"x 72" and bolt a piece of 1/2" plywood box on it and make hoops (4) and cover it with canvas. Will look like a covered wagon when sleeping in it. Then take hoops off and put them inside and cover box with canvas tarp and I can store gear in 2 footlockers from W_Lmart. Tarp can be gotten at Tractor Supply Company for around $30