Robin-Subaru Four Cycle 33.5

GoldenMotor.com

blurptc

Jul 3, 2008
Hi guys -- After reading some, I figure that Staton is a decent supplier with some decent reputation.

I attempted to search for this specific kit, but couldn't find anything online. Would you guys recommend this FDR-335 Robin-Subaru Four Cycle 33.5 cc 1.60 hp Four Cycle SALE $399 motor for a regular commute? Approx 100-150mi per week?
Motorized Bicycles Detail Page

Any ideas how long the motor will last? If it's only 1000-miles like the posts that I've been reading, then I will be replacing this in 5-weeks?

And for a bike, would this work? I'm afraid that you get what you pay for. And for the price, the torque from the motor may just break this bike apart.
26" Men's Roadmaster Mountain Sport SX All Terrain Bike
Walmart.com : 26" Men's Roadmaster Mountain Sport SX All Terrain Bike : Bikes, Scooters & Skates

I'm not a mechanic or handyman, hence going for the friction drives. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

paul

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That link shows a friction drive kit- just bolt it up, no need for a gearbox.

It will last more like 10000, not 1000 miles.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
yeah, the motors that everybody says only last 1000 miles are the china motors. Though from reading, it sounds like that's just a bunch of bologna anyway...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Be careful of doom and gloom rumors.

A lot of people just want you to buy the most expensive motor they have on the shelf. I have no idea how long the bike motors last. I couldn't even make a guess. I would do the maintenance and just see if I were you.

By the way I have a cheepo chinese motor and it seems to be just fine. I have had mine a few months but I don't commute or anything just run it on errands.

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
I don't know about the kit, but the yellow Subaru engines are sure easy to start, compared to the Tanakas.

As a test I wrapped the string around my little finger and pulled it, purrrrrrr.

Fuel tank capacity/placement is my only "minus", but I have 2 on order for city commuters.

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
I have that same bike and it is junk, you will be really disappointed if you get that mountain bike. the breaks don't work as good as they should even with good pads. my chain comes off if you turn the gear selector to far either way. it may work better for a friction drive but I just don't like anything about it except the price tag. good luck and let us know how that setup works. I'm already thinking about an upgrade engine that is more reliable, and I've only had this kit a month or two.

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I have that same bike and it is junk, you will be really disappointed if you get that mountain bike. the breaks don't work as good as they should even with good pads. my chain comes off if you turn the gear selector to far either way. it may work better for a friction drive but I just don't like anything about it except the price tag. good luck and let us know how that setup works. I'm already thinking about an upgrade engine that is more reliable, and I've only had this kit a month or two.
Ahem...brake performance is very dependant on proper pad adjustment, such as toe-in angle. I can make even a terrible quality canti-lever brake feel/perform like a side-pull....just needs more frequent tweaks. As for the chain falling off, a couple twist of the deraileur end-stop screws will fix that. So a fixable-adjustment-issue is having you condemn a bike? What if it was a $6000 Cannondale with the same issues...would you call it crap too, just because you don't know how to make adjustments?

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
On those low end Wally World bikes, I'd always go Cruiser over Mountain Bike.

Curved handlebars and fatter street tires alone make a big difference, and putting a basket/rack on a spring loaded front end take special consideration.

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
cityevader thank you, I realize you can adjust the brakes so they will work better and I have done that, almost every week or two so far. also the deraileur was another quick thing that I mentioned because it popped into my head and I was getting ready to leave the house and I wanted to give my opinion of this bike really quick because I did purchase one. a few other things to stick it in the not as high quality category:

-The peddles broke with in 2-3 weeks
-The the guard that is on the front sprocket was made of plastic and broke in a couple weeks.
-both tubes that were in it factory blew along with the rear tire splitting. one of them blew while I was airing it up, and it was below the max psi.
-if you are tall the handle bars won't come up far enough to make it a comfortable ride for the height of the seat. that's just my personal opinion.
-both of the end caps on the front fork came out during a ride, which is no big deal.
-if your looking at it for a Chinese engine mount(which he isn't) the opening is just about to small, I had to add a extension tube to the carb with a 45 deg bend so it will fit and if I pull my plug I have to loosen the engine so I can move it to the side some.

These are just a few more things that put it in the "crap" category. I do know how to make adjustments, and I have. I'm sorry that I gave a quick review that was not in full detail. I was not attacking pacific cycles. that is who makes it and my brother and dad both have bikes made by the same company, just different models and both bikes are higher quality. So I'm sorry for offending you and I hope this explains my opinion a little better.

Josh

Last edited:

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
Right on! Now that is a good product review! With unbiased and pertinent information...Thank you!

I apologize for my attitude last night. I was feeling a bit...off.

beachbikeron

May 18, 2008
I have a few Robin/Subaru 33.5 cc friction drive kits and if I go to my garage and pick any one of them,it will start right up! Very dependable! Around 200 mpg! On 1 of my bikes, I'm going 32 mph! And I weigh around 210 lb's! Lightweight and smooth ride! If your gonna ride alot of road, you might concider some tire protection? Allways take spare tubes,patch kits,co2 or other small tire pumps & quick tools! [ya don't wanna blow your riding time!](c)

Attachments

ddolyp

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Hey...I am also looking at this kit...and wanted to know if 'Staton' was a reliable source?

If not, any recommendations on a good source?

Secondly...what 4 stroke engines would be comparable in price/reliability to this one?

Ive never added a motor to anything before, but I need a commuter for work, and a bicycle engine seemed much better than a 'goped' type scooter for many reasons. Is it hard?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Hey...I am also looking at this kit...and wanted to know if 'Staton' was a reliable source?

If not, any recommendations on a good source?

Secondly...what 4 stroke engines would be comparable in price/reliability to this one?

Ive never added a motor to anything before, but I need a commuter for work, and a bicycle engine seemed much better than a 'goped' type scooter for many reasons. Is it hard?
Welcome to the forum. I can't help you on the 4 stroke stuff. All I've ever done are the 2 stroke HT engines. They are not hard to do if you have any kind of mechanical skills. If you need help there are lots of people here that will help you out.............

ddolyp

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Hey, those are some great looking dogs, 'Ilikea...' wish I could keep one in my apartment!

Thanks for the welcome...this seems like an intelligent and friendly forum from what Ive seen so far.

I assemble bikes for a living...so I hope I can attach a kit to a bike. Nice to see the great volume of info available here, in case I get stuck. I only wish I would've known about putting and engine on a bicycle 20 years ago or so...wouldve saved a LOT of money, and had a lot of fun. I love biking.

Last edited: