Two-Stroke- Some Build Help

GoldenMotor.com

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
After losing out on a Briggs and a welder, I am back to the smokers. I've already bought a headlight, rear light, mirrors, a speedometer, new tires, a rack, spare premix jerry can, a pull starter, tool kit etc. All the stuff for being able to fuel and fix the bike on the roadside if it breaks and to keep it legal night and day.
Still no motor though laff

It'll be all for nought if I can't make this thing cruise at 30mph. Nothing special, doesn't needs gears even, just want to go 30mph without breaking down or killing the motor. If I get the regular 80cc and kit for $129 i can't afford anything else, how to make it cruise comfortably at 30? The only thing I might be able to purchase is a sprocket. Thinking 36T with my bike, a low geared single-speed convert, also FYI it it helps, my current setup including all the toolkit and lights and such weights about 40lbs. plus the motor and gas will probably be 80 or so without a rider.

thanks all.

EDIT: sorry for the grammar problems but i'm in a hurry.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A stock "80cc" kit should do about thirty on the flats if set up and installed properly, tho with a 44t it'll be revin' a touch on the high side. Seems most bone stock installs do about 27mph... it's the claims significantly above and beyond this that get viewed with... skepticism lol

Weight isn't so much an issue (within reason ofc), it'll just slow down your acceleration - that acceleration is what's mostly gained with "performance" mods like a tuned pipe etc. and lost with sprocket swaps. For sprocket choice - I'd recommend simply runnin' the stock 44t to see where that puts ya, then deciding to loose some teeth if yer winding out the engine. Every setup is a lil different, gearing a dance between acceleration and top speed - it's heavily dependent on personal preference.

If it's of any help w/yer thoughts about being able to "fuel and fix" on the roadside and general reliability - although I spent the first month or so tinkerin' things "just right" and never left home w/o a small hardware store in my packs (66cc "generic" 2smoker)... I don't bother nomo and only carry a 10mm, screwdriver, adj. wrench, spare tube and pump. in the past 4000 miles or so I've needed none of it FTW ;)

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
Nice to know these little motors can sometimes be reliable, still will have a full toolkit though laff.

I was thinking, if this thing is meant to last I should just get the SBP shift kit. I hate having no gears, and this would let me cruise and accelerate without destroying the motor, give me a good top speed without needing to upgrade everything, etc. Minus the cost of the bike, lights, bag and tools, it would be about $275 for an 80cc and a shift kit. Would probably make it easier to maintenance and disassemble as well (for air travel and such)... anybody selling used shift kits though? Would like to save money if possible.