I must be stupid!

GoldenMotor.com

mrz3r00

Jun 21, 2008
no matter what i do i cant seem to get my bike running again. i had it started at first, but the chain kept breaking. after i fixed that problem i may have put too much oil in it. i have since tried all the tricks i can find, carb cleaner, gas in the hole. Nothing! im not sure why but i dont think the engine is getting gas. the first time i ran it and then took out the spark plug, it was dirty. now it has stayed clean. i dont know if the carb is screwed or what . please help.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay if you put gas in the hole and it didn't fire then it isn't the carburetor. Did you check to see if you had spark?

When you work on the bike a lot of times the wires get messed up. So check your wiring as well as test the spark.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Indeed - check for spark first. Take the plug out, and have a buddy hold it........against the engine with rubber gloves and a dry rag:D (or a clamp) and crank the **** out of it in a semi dark area.....

Then assure you have fuel by holding the tickler button until it starts spilling fuel out.

The other thing is - make sure you have compression turn over not just clutch slip.

mrz3r00

Jun 21, 2008
there was a thread about pretty much the same issue that touched over the whole spark issue. i got spark, but the top part of the plug is a little loose. i think the problem came when either a) put the chain on too tight and pulled something out of place, b) put too much oil and clogged something, c) somehow screwed up the throttle assembley, or.... i just need to know the best way to check for air leaks, i also have no idea what the second notch refers to in the carb, andanything else you can help me with. thank you for your time. it's got to get old helping people that dont know what to do?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
1 Spark. Confirm spark with the plug out, grounded to engine.
2. Air. Make sure the air filter isn't clogged up with fuel (soaked).
3. Fuel. Remove the float bowl, then turn on fuel. Flow? Reassemble.

Push the tickler down for 3 seconds. Choke lever 3/4 UP. Try it.

What happens?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
BTW- What did you mean "too much oil"? If your not sure of the mix in the tank or can, start over.

How did you break the chain?
How many times?

mrz3r00

Jun 21, 2008
broke the chain twice. unsure of how. think it was caught in rear wheel and engine snapped it.

mrz3r00

Jun 21, 2008
to bike guy joe, it makes all the sounds as if its about to start but never catches. it turns over and as long as i pedel it sounds like the engine is doing something but never kicks in

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
O.K., then you are turning the engine, some have had problems getting one to start only to find that the clutch was slipping and weren't turning the engine over.

Now, if you have spark confirmed at the plug with the plug out of the bike, you have a fuel problem. Do the other things I told you and let me know what happens.

mrz3r00

Jun 21, 2008
yes! i finally got it to start!
bad plug. i got a new one at murrays and it got it to respond but i can only get it to barely go if i play with the choke. at first i got it to go from just barely pedeling with the choke all the way down. what are some of the reasons why and what can i do? thanx for all the help so far. i think i have a problem with the throttle.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
yes! i finally got it to start!
bad plug. i got a new one at murrays and it got it to respond but i can only get it to barely go if i play with the choke. at first i got it to go from just barely pedeling with the choke all the way down. what are some of the reasons why and what can i do? thanx for all the help so far. i think i have a problem with the throttle.
Problem with the throttle? Like?

If you got it to run with the lever down, that's "choke off".

Try pedalling with the choke lever 3/4 of the way up and see what happens....

mrz3r00

Jun 21, 2008
that is how i have to get it to start. but when i try to put the choke down and get some speed it just stalls