Morini Troubleshooting

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I changed my oil tonight and inspected my clutch bell for play and mine has play just like yours and GH.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
It's definitely more duriable than a HT motor. The motor its self can probably get well over 10k as long as you use the proper amount of 2 cycle oil in the gas. The only fault I see in most of the guys here is the clutch issue. I only problem I had was a clutch clip that I replace once. I'm think about swapping mine out to a 3 shoe. I have around 4-5k (hard miles) on mine only and its running better now than when it was new.

Last edited:

superbringa

Jun 26, 2009
try outside of THE MATRIX
"I'm think about swapping mine out to a 3 shoe" you'll love the improvements, that is the way to go Easy Rider... I think they'll last more than 10K... but you have to watch it and take care of it...looking at the parts it is like a swiss watch very precise...

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The reason I limited my number to 10k was we ride our bike about 80% of the time off road and beat the living day lights out of our bikes.
I'm sure if you limit it to road use only with a 36-44 tooth sprocket, one should get 50k+ mile on one of these motors since it has a double ring on the piston.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
ohhhh wow those r so crayse number i think ill take 10k though of of beating the c rap out of it :D and when it goes appranetly u can replace the cyclinder,piston and head to a 65cc :D:D:D u just need to do some machining to match the ports

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I was thinking about getting one of those 65cc heads as well but my bike is running so well and has been trouble free that I don't want to mess with it. I just changed my clutch oil and it runs so smooth that I'm happy with it. I might wait until it breaks to buy the head kit but that might be a long wait. (knocking on wood!) lol

superbringa

Jun 26, 2009
try outside of THE MATRIX
"ride our bike about 80% of the time off road"
Easy, Yeah, as I was posting I realized that all the movies you posted they were on off road... so I get it and you are right.. have no time for off roading and the way it is right around me... the only way to get around is on a motorized bike, unless off course you don't mind sitting in traffic and moving about 3mph... hey I have to do it sometimes but when ever I can I choose the other... still not have the morini installed... but step by step it'll happen...

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
Free play in the bell went away after I put the new bushing in, for how long who knows but this is my theory. The bushing starts to wear letting the bell start to wobble more, or in another case a washer was missing. In my case it wobbled enough that the clutch (2 shoe) master links were able to have some play in them and came loose. One let go and the clutch fell apart on one side and sent the clip parts into the gears.
So if you have a fair amount of play you might want to pull it and try a new bushing and keep an eye on the master clips when changing oil.
It may be subtle but I would think you would feel more vibration from the clutch area as this starts to happen.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Free play in the bell went away after I put the new bushing in, for how long who knows but this is my theory. The bushing starts to wear letting the bell start to wobble more, or in another case a washer was missing. In my case it wobbled enough that the clutch (2 shoe) master links were able to have some play in them and came loose. One let go and the clutch fell apart on one side and sent the clip parts into the gears.
So if you have a fair amount of play you might want to pull it and try a new bushing and keep an eye on the master clips when changing oil.
It may be subtle but I would think you would feel more vibration from the clutch area as this starts to happen.
Thanks for the heads up on that! I was thinking it would not hurt to remove some of that play? Anything that Can rattle comes loose. However the thought of the clutch shoes once they engage no rattle. Centrifugal forces on the shoes grabs it square. I personally don't want the rattling myself when I try to understand what's going on in there? I will look through my 20 year box of mechanics collection I think I got some brass bushings , or I will machine one.

That's the fun in this hobby, and a cool forum to share on! I had a hard time in the beginning while the pads were seating. Had strange vibes from it. Won't know what I got till I get new springs and straighten my drive train out again! Too cold and poor to play. Building that thing took my money lol. Say Fairracing Hows Your ride doing? I bet that thing is fun!.trk

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I also took note when I flipped my backward clutch around. The retaining clips should be put on in a manner by which the centrifical force keeps them on. If they are flipped around wrong they might slip apart! Just a thought lots of rpm's on the Morini!

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
Heres the pulled clutch, and the factory clip position.

My bike rides again, or will, found the reverse threaded post and went back at it today and sure enough off the nut came. It's winter here lots of snow, might take it out tommorow for a test ride if its not too cold, made some studded tires with 96 wood screws each for the pedal bike, so might pull those off for some grip :)
Bought a Tomos st as well incase the gov throws me for a loop trying to get the bike legal this year.

But yeah, I think the bushing was $2.50, and just to note I was in a parking lot a low speed when it blew. And not really something that noticeable once the clutch had engaged, Its the vibration between idle and engage.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I was just looking at the Morini site, according to Morini we are running 12:1 compression. If I remember right 12:1 we should be running around 108 octane. Anybody running Octane 100+?

I've only used pump gas I think 91 or 92.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Just saw your video Fair on the clutch play. That's the play I had in mine . Sorry I missed the video before my linux computers don't like Photobucket videos. I fixed that prob they play them now. That is a lot of play that's how mine was . Put a .08mm washer behind the bell. Think the old one was a .06mm.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I tried some 108 octane the other day it was cool out side late at night. Tried a little from a fellow two smokers house. It ran a little more responsive and used even less gas was my take on it. Never gave it any more thought though till I read your post. I would have to try it again.:D When I got home I pored my mix on top of it topping off the tank. Even then seemed like the fuel still went farther.