hoot gearbox with other fluids?

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Ran the bike around a bit today, so far the oil I am using is working good. There is a small amount of gear noise, most when I let off. I like the way the clutch grabs, it is smooth and pulls good. It will be interesting to see what this thing will do when the engine breaks in. I took all the shrouds off and junked the air filter. I will find something that would work for the filter. I need to find something for the pedals the cranks that came with the kit are junk. I can put my hand on the engine after a bit of riding and not too hot to hold my hand. I don't think you will need a vent on the box it stays cool on mine. Mine has the allen screw also with no hole. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Ran the bike around a bit today, so far the oil I am using is working good. There is a small amount of gear noise, most when I let off. I like the way the clutch grabs, it is smooth and pulls good. It will be interesting to see what this thing will do when the engine breaks in. I took all the shrouds off and junked the air filter. I will find something that would work for the filter. I need to find something for the pedals the cranks that came with the kit are junk. I can put my hand on the engine after a bit of riding and not too hot to hold my hand. I don't think you will need a vent on the box it stays cool on mine. Mine has the allen screw also with no hole. Have fun, Dave
alas this engine isnt like the other 2 strokes, there is no power gain after break in, atleast there wasnt on mine, all i noticed was less vibration, but thats it, same power and same speed, still its very powerfull! twice the torque of my stock "80cc" HT kit, same top speed,

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
Hey Egor, I can't tell in the second picture, but in the first one it looks like you need to get your engine alittle flatter, I had one guy who had his engine on an angle and his engine went, was not getting enough oil. I hate to see us all worried about the gear boxes and your engine get blown. Looks good thou brother.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
yes egor i would watch that angle, you need the oil to stay fairly flat inside, if its all off to the front it wont lubricate it,

ps, i like the silver, i may do something like that, although i would do a green or a blue, something cool!

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton

i would love to get rid of the shroud wouldn't the motor overheat? i want to make the motor look old all copper line and just the bare motor no plastic.

and yes its very smooth i love it.shft.

when my projects finished. it should look like a board track racer

cheers

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
i would love to get rid of the shroud wouldn't the motor overheat? i want to make the motor look old all copper line and just the bare motor no plastic.

and yes its very smooth i love it.shft.
it would most likely over heat, plus the recoil wouldnt work, i would love to do that to though, let me know what you guys work out, i dont like the shrouding either, but thats how its cooled,

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
all i need is a small piece of copper and tin snips :)
nice drawing! looks like allot of time and effort went into that, what is that the new autocad??

lol anyways that would work, but what about the recoil? i may do something like this, it would definatly look better

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I don't think I will have trouble with the angle of the engine. I have run them at a bigger angle than that, just keep the oil at a good level. I have a thermal scan, so I am going to document the temp of the engine with and with ought the shrouds. I can hold my hand on the crankcase and it is not too hot, so I think it will be OK. Have fun, Dave

I let one of the lads at work ride it yesterday and he put it through its paces, I was going to break it in before running it that hard. Now I know the engine is not going to fly apart.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I kept meaning to do windspeed tests inside the shrouds coupled w/ thermal scans. But it just seems too common sense to me.

It is a pump motor designed to run stationary, on rabbit (high speed), under constant heavy load, in the hot sun, for hours on end, virtually anywhere in the world. So if you compare your riding environment w/ those requirements, most will find that they'll eliminate many of those extra heat factors i.e. if you don't run it for hours in the hot desert sun it won't over heat.

They do have slightly less fin surface area compared to a conventional (non forced air) air cooled motor. There are ways to improve upon that w/o sacrificing appearance.

Also as long as you have something to wind it around you can wind a rope and handle each time you need to start. It's a little more effort but not that big a deal if it's important for asthetics to go w/o the cover.

Lastly, you'll recover (gain) power if you lose the fan on the flywheel.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Tyre, Makes Sense To Me. The Harleys Have Been Air Cooled For Many, Many Years. Just Don`t Sit Still To Long In Hot Weather. How About A Big Pic Of Your Avatar, It Looks Interesting. My First Cvt Build, I Used The 49cc Cag Motor ( Cylinder Runs Horizontal ), Had Trouble With The Mag, So Installed A Cag Motor With The Big Bore Kit, 52cc. It Has The Head Separate From The Cylinder. The Head Has Bigger Fins Making It Larger In Dia. It Melted Thru The Gas Tank Off The 49cc Motor. Both Motors Had The Fan Shroud, But Not The Cylinder Shroud. The Ht China Motors Seem To Be Ok With Out Fans Or Shrouds!! Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Yes Neat, very interesting! Those little motors pack a punch from my understanding.

Magnets are great at attracting metal shavings, thats true. Problem is, I don't have 1/2 that much on the drain plug of my car/truck transmission at 80,000mi intervals. How long did it take to get that much metal on the magnets?

Attachments

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
only two weeks of constant use. i think there was more metal because the gearbox was braking in. but when i installed a shim behind the clutch bell to line up the gears. i found a lot of cheap parts.
this gearbox will never last no matter what oil is used. hopefully i can replace it with a grubee 4g before it fails and damages the motor.

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
That is the thing for $230 Can. you can not get a Grubbe gear box , I tried getting them on my next order but the price of a complete unit goes from $230 can, up to $550. So there in lies the problem, I do not think anyone will pay $550 or $600 for a bicycle engine. I have still not had one fail yet and for $230 it is a great deal. I would love to be selling higher grade gearboxes but at over a $300 increase, you could by another engine and still have money left over to buy another hoot gearbox..... Anyway enjoy, your ride.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I watched the vids and I can hear that clutch slipping lots...looks and sounds like it's taking a good 50' to overcome the slippage. Me thinks a good amount of that metal muck is likely from the clutch drum or, depending on the clutch pad material, from the clutch pads.

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
I watched the vids and I can hear that clutch slipping lots...looks and sounds like it's taking a good 50' to overcome the slippage. Me thinks a good amount of that metal muck is likely from the clutch drum or, depending on the clutch pad material, from the clutch pads.

yes definitely most of it is from the pads and clutch bell.

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
That is the thing for $230 Can. you can not get a Grubbe gear box , I tried getting them on my next order but the price of a complete unit goes from $230 can, up to $550. So there in lies the problem, I do not think anyone will pay $550 or $600 for a bicycle engine. I have still not had one fail yet and for $230 it is a great deal. I would love to be selling higher grade gearboxes but at over a $300 increase, you could by another engine and still have money left over to buy another hoot gearbox..... Anyway enjoy, your ride.

don't get me wrong i still love the kit. it's the motor i was after. at that price the gearbox and parts are free. gota keep the price down somehow. better the gearbox and parts than the motor.

for short everyday runs its fine. but my problem is i need a gearbox for long runs. like from hamilton to caladonia come spring. i may end up trying a few products.