hoot gearbox with other fluids?

GoldenMotor.com

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
ok third ride today transmission fluid works no slip. only time i get the gear noise is when im slowing down from high speed. even then its not much. only thing i would like to add is a vent tube on the gearbox it gets warm and i worry about pressure building and blowing a gasket..shft.

fluid used atf automatic transmission fluid gm dexron 2 or ford mercon fluids

i think i found my motor :) starts on one pull. lots of fun to ride.

Last edited:

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
Canadian tire autolab atf. on the back suitable for use in vehicles requiring gm dexron 3
or ford mercon fluids.

the cheap stuff :)

auto-atf-b-05

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Karma, Bike Looks Very Good. Do You Know What The Hoot Tranny Gear Ratio Is? And What Size Rear Sprocket Are You Using. The Breather May Be Best On The Back Side With A 90 Degree Pointing Up. If Its On Top, The Gears May Throw The Oil Up And Out.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I just got my engine installed today. I added Hydraulic oil to mine (no foaming) I got it running but I have not installed the chain yet. The other engine I have has a vent hole in it and spits oil out all the time I am going to plug it up, it is an older style and has the straight cut gears. Ill keep you posted on how this oil works, my other idea is using compressor oil. I have some of the expensive stuff for Screw drive comp. will go to extreme heat. Have fun, Dave

PS: I don't think you have to worry about the pressure, only if their was a way for it to increase constantly.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Egor, Good Evening Sir. Think My Hoot Has Straight Cut Gears! Oh Oh. Don`t Angle Cut Gears Creat A Lot Of Side Thrust? Would I Have The Old Style On A Titan 4 Stroke?? Do You Know The Gear Ratio Of The Hoot? I Remember When You Built Your Avatar Bike. Good Looking Mab. Keep Us Posted Egor. Lots Of Our Old Friends Are Mia!! Ron

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Now I'm curious to see what happens with your hoots with the straight teeth. This is what I had that lasted about 100 miles.

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
Karma, Bike Looks Very Good. Do You Know What The Hoot Tranny Gear Ratio Is? And What Size Rear Sprocket Are You Using. The Breather May Be Best On The Back Side With A 90 Degree Pointing Up. If Its On Top, The Gears May Throw The Oil Up And Out.
not sure what the ratio is when i change the oil ill have a look. im going to hold off on the vent tube for now. til have have a look inside.

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
I just got my engine installed today. I added Hydraulic oil to mine (no foaming) I got it running but I have not installed the chain yet. The other engine I have has a vent hole in it and spits oil out all the time I am going to plug it up, it is an older style and has the straight cut gears. Ill keep you posted on how this oil works, my other idea is using compressor oil. I have some of the expensive stuff for Screw drive comp. will go to extreme heat. Have fun, Dave

PS: I don't think you have to worry about the pressure, only if their was a way for it to increase constantly.

i have another idea. i took a magnet and glued it to the bottom of gearbox to hold any metal.trk that may chip off if any.its another cheap investment.

Attachments

Last edited:

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
wow looks good! i wish you the best of luck, i had started with gear oil, but the clutch slipped to bad, i then used white lithium spray grease, it liquefied and boiled and blew out my gasket(luckily i was wearing jeans so my legs didnt get burned) but so you know the gasket can blow, i run mine without a gasket now with my grease, some drips out, but i just add more, it was quite a bang when the gasket went, be careful!

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
thanks for the heads up on the exploding gasket. i may as well just add the vent. for piece of mind :) i wanna source out some copper and replace all the plastic lines. if i put a loop in the line coming out of the gearbox it should keep fluid in but let any pressure out.

like in the pic

Attachments

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
The bolt in the top of the gear case housing where you would fill with oil should have a hole clean through it from top to bottom. This should allow any pressure to escape without having to modify anything, unless it gets clogged or you change the bolt, it should be fine.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
There would be a problem! It has to be vented in some way. The bolt that came with my old hoot with the straight cut gears was a 10mm(I think) normal bolt head with the hole through it. Drilling it may be an easy fix.(depends on the grade of the bolt)